**COO VARIANTS** by Plantainman

plantainman

Jedi Master
Luke Hoth COO Guide

COO Guide...
Top row, left to right, Fam I L1b R1b, Fam I L1b R1a, Fam II L1a R1a, Fam II L1b R1b
Bottom row, left to right, Fam I L2a R1b, Fam I L2b R1a, Fam II L1a R2a, Fam II L1b R2b

SAM_5921x_arrows.jpg

Both HK Fam II on the left, Both HK Fam I on the right,
The HK fam I figures have distinctive scarves which are a more reddish tone compared to the darker brown tone of the HK fam II figures. As you can also see, the facial paint tone and scheme can vary too. The difference in goggles is obvious too for telling the families apart.
SAM_5915.JPG

SAM_5916.JPG

Left to right, Scarred 'Meccano' Pink face, Scarred PBP pale face, Fam II smooth NO COO1 (R2a), Fam II Smooth NO COO2 (R2b 'G remaining more prominent')
As you can see my Meccano pink face has unpainted scarf and unpainted back belt, which can be a quirky perk to some of these Euro produced figures. The pink face paint applied to the Meccano Luke Hoth is the same as was applied to the True pink face ATAT Commander.
SAM_5907.JPG

SAM_5908.JPG

On this shot, You can clearly see the three different colours of Luke's jacket on the NO COO figures...

Group shot of all eight, Four HK on the left, Four NO COO on the right.
SAM_5904.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------

Links :

WALRUS MAN GUIDE | RED SNAGGLETOOTH GUIDE | HAMMERHEAD GUIDE | GREEDO GUIDE |

LUKE BESPIN GUIDE | HAN SOLO BESPIN GUIDE | OBI WAN KENOBI GUIDE | DARTH VADER GUIDE |

BOBA FETT GUIDE | DENGAR GUIDE | IG-88 GUIDE | 4-LOM GUIDE | STORMTROOPER GUIDE |

LUKE X-WING GUIDE | IMPERIAL COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT DRIVER GUIDE |

LUKE HOTH GUIDE | REBEL SOLDIER GUIDE | LEIA HOTH GUIDE | HAN SOLO HOTH GUIDE |

ADMIRAL ACKBAR GUIDE | NIEN NUNB GUIDE | BIKER SCOUT GUIDE | REBEL COMMANDO GUIDE |

discussion welcomed!

Last edited:

plantainman

Jedi Master
Two new topics in one day, both figures with fantastic sculpts in my opinion; NO COO AT-AT Commanders and Luke Hoth, Enjoy!

plantainman

Jedi Master
NO COO IG-88 Guide

COO guide...
Top row, Family I No Coo (a), Family I No Coo (b)
Bottom row, Family III No Coo (a), Family III No Coo (b)

SAM_5958_no_coo4_top_arrow.jpg

Sidenote : Coo II family does not have a No Coo variant.

The Family III No Coo figures are PBP produced. They use the solid eyes head mould on the right, Whilst the Family I No Coo figures all have hollow eyes...
SAM_5964 hollow solid.jpg

The PBP produced No Coo figures are not only distinguished by being the only IG-88 No Coo figures with solid tubes, but also by the individual EPM marks on the arms (see picture below). The excess extrusions can also be found on the heel EPM's too.
The Hong Kong Coo of this family has flush EPM circles, No extrusions...
SAM_5963.JPG

Left to right, Family I No Coo (a), Family I No Coo (b), Family III No Coo (a) & Family III No Coo (b)
SAM_5954sm.jpg

SAM_5957sm.jpg

There is also a version of the Family III No Coo PBP produced figure with a scarred Coo, not smoothed like the ones shown above.

Peace

---------------------------------------------------

Links :

LUKE BESPIN GUIDE | HAN SOLO BESPIN GUIDE | OBI WAN KENOBI GUIDE | DARTH VADER GUIDE |

BOBA FETT GUIDE | DENGAR GUIDE | IG-88 GUIDE | 4-LOM GUIDE | STORMTROOPER GUIDE |

LUKE X-WING GUIDE | IMPERIAL COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT COMMANDER GUIDE | AT-AT DRIVER GUIDE |

ADMIRAL ACKBAR GUIDE | NIEN NUNB GUIDE | BIKER SCOUT GUIDE | REBEL COMMANDO GUIDE |

discussion welcomed!

Last edited:

walkie

Sith Lord
Nice update. The PBP iggys are cool and deserve more love, in hand they are so different to the HK parent, surprisingly they also feel heavier due to the different plastic used (but I've never weighed one to check).

As for the Luke Hoth photos, outstanding work!! He has to be one of the hardest coo's to photograph, I'd challenge anyone reading this to give it a go.

plantainman

Jedi Master
walkie said:
Nice update. The PBP iggys are cool and deserve more love, in hand they are so different to the HK parent, surprisingly they also feel heavier due to the different plastic used (but I've never weighed one to check).

Yeah, The PBP Iggys need far more love. They look cool, They feel cool, They smell cool, They are cool!
IG-88, A figure you just can't own one of!

walkie said:
As for the Luke Hoth photos, outstanding work!! He has to be one of the hardest coo's to photograph, I'd challenge anyone reading this to give it a go.

One of the hardest, Yes, But Ackbar, grrrrrrrr, Gulp, not looking forward to that one :p

plantainman

Jedi Master
Tarkin's nosehair said:
Great update & easy to understand as always, thank you :D

Thanks.

That's totally the idea of the guide; to introduce as many variants of the same figure as possible to mainly newer collectors, So people can be informed as to what is out there and what they might choose to collect. Its important to have some sort of focus as a collector as to what you're trying to achieve with your collection I think. The guides are kept simple, as pictures speak a thousand words, especially when we're talking about Coo variant collecting.

The beauty of putting this information on forums as opposed to littering social media, is there will always be a record of it here for collectors as they enter the hobby, and any discussion generated about the variants will stay in the thread for people to discover. I'm not a fan of how short term the information can be on social media, it seems to be lost within hours, so although social media is a good way to reach out to collectors all over the World, The forums are the best place for learning and discovering!

plantainman

Jedi Master
4Lom MIHK & No Coo Variants

Coo guide...
Left to right,
Made in Hong Kong, Raised No Coo, PBP Scarred No Coo

SAM_6110_coo_base.jpg

'Made in Hong Kong' Kenner Variants...
Left to right,
Armour V1, Armour V2, Armour V3 & Armour V3

SAM_6093.JPG

SAM_6094.JPG

'No Coo' Variants (Raised & Scarred)...
Left to right,
Raised No Coo 'Brown Armour' V3, Raised No Coo 'Green Armour' V3, PBP Scarred No Coo 'Red Armour' [Light] V1, PBP Scarred No Coo 'Red Armour' [Dark] V2

SAM_6088.JPG

SAM_6089.JPG

FWIW the 'Green Armour' has been talked about plenty and some say it stems from plastic degeneration, But it is a variant within itself given the plastic used to make this version of armour is obviously slightly different to the batches made to produce the standard Kenner brown armour.

The difference in colour between the two PBP Scarred No Coo armour is definitely nothing to do with the degeneration of the plastic. These armour were made in two different tones, and both V1 and V2 armour mould variants can be found in both colours, Technically meaning there are four individual PBP 4Lom variants to collect :D

The Red 4Lom armour is made from a very flexible more rubbery feel than the standard Kenner produced one. Also, The EPM markings on the inside are quite individual, and although they are in the same place as on the standard V1 & V2 Kenner mould armours, they look quie different, Which we'll cover in a bit more detail below...

Paint application comparison...
Left Kenner 'Made in Hong Kong' & right PBP Scarred No Coo
As you can see, The MIHK & Raised No coo scar figures were both produced with a dull matt charcoal grey/black paint application on the nose and features, whilst the PBP Scarred figure is produced with a vibrant glossy jet black paint application in the same areas.
SAM_6105.JPG

Kenner V1 Armour
SAM_6096.JPG

PBP V1 Armour (Notice the more pronounced EPM compared to the Kenner version of the same mould above)
SAM_6097.JPG

Kenner V2 Armour
SAM_6099.JPG

PBP V2 Armour Again, notice the more raised EPM here also
SAM_6100.JPG

Kenner V3 Armour
SAM_6103.JPG

Kenner V4 Armour
SAM_6104.JPG

Group shot of all eight variants...
Left to right,
Raised No Coo 'Green Armour' V3, Raised No Coo 'Brown Armour' V3, PBP Scarred No Coo 'Red Armour' [Light] V1, PBP Scarred No Coo 'Red Armour' [Dark] V2, Hong Kong Armour V1, Hong Kong Armour V2, Hong Kong Armour V3 & Hong Kong Armour V4

SAM_6112.JPG

Discussion welcomed, Peace.

Neil

----------------------------------------

Links :

discussion welcomed!

Last edited:

plantainman

Jedi Master
poncho said:
awesome luke hoth update thanks for sharing your findings buddy 8) that mec no coo is thing of beauty

Thanks. Appreciate the nod.

The Meccano Luke hoth is beautiful enough with his vibrant pink face, but when you add in not one, but two paint application errors, Then he really stands out from the crowd. Great variant!

Neil

Great update Plantainman, Didn't know about the 2 versions of 4 LOM PBP armour thought I was lucky to get just one PBP (damn you :lol: ) what about the coat linings white, greenish beige and darker redish beige? Thanks for all your hard work :D

plantainman

Jedi Master
Tarkin's nosehair said:
Great update Plantainman, Didn't know about the 2 versions of 4 LOM PBP armour thought I was lucky to get just one PBP (damn you :lol: )

Yes, definitely two. As I say below, If you're really avid you need to collect more than just two PBP lol...

plantainman said:
The difference in colour between the two PBP Scarred No Coo armour is definitely nothing to do with the degeneration of the plastic. These armour were made in two different tones, and both V1 and V2 armour mould variants can be found in both colours, Technically meaning there are four individual PBP 4Lom variants to collect :D

Tarkin's nosehair said:
what about the coat linings white, greenish beige and darker redish beige? Thanks for all your hard work :D

Regarding the cape, The inside of the PBP cape is a light white, whilst the outside appears slightly rougher, or perhaps better said, more textured compared to the kenner example. There is also an individual cut around the collar which looks smoother, less angular than the kenner examples. I won't get into detail in this thread about the capes though, as its not a defining factor really in determining or showcasing the variant, it is a lesser side issue, when compared that is to the armours colour, armours mould, and also the figure itself and its paint application.

Cheers

plantainman

Jedi Master
**Post grab for first post page 6 to edit later**
note to self : New Han Bespin group shot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plantainman

Jedi Master
The Dengar guide has had a massive update, visit it here...
>
DENGAR GUIDE
Or you can visit the links in the post above to navigate through the whole thread.

Cheers

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Just a quick note to say thank you for the work you are putting into these guides, logging the variants, let alone the difficulty of photographing the COOs should be applauded! 8)

poncho

Grand Master
plantainman said:
>
DENGAR GUIDE
Or you can visit the links in the post above to navigate through the whole thread.

Cheers
is the lemon face a cause of paint degradation or genuine variant in your opinion. dengar is my guilty pleasure. im on the hunt for pbp pink face on the cheap very htf.....sigh

plantainman

Jedi Master
poncho said:
plantainman said:
>
DENGAR GUIDE

Cheers
is the lemon face a cause of paint degradation or genuine variant in your opinion. dengar is my guilty pleasure. im on the hunt for pbp pink face on the cheap very htf.....sigh

No, I believe the Lemon face left the factory with its lighter tone when compared to others.

And, Yes, I've been looking for a PBP pink face for about 6 years now. It sits atop my 'Need' list and has done for ages, really frustrating, but nothing is given in this game, I believe you have to earn your variants and enjoy hunting them in the meantime :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom