Resealed figure discovery debate - G.Kurtz Palitoy VC Jawa.

ODB

Jedi Master
You would of thought he would put it in a nice display case and not just a star case. But hey ho.

One question for the experts. Is the bubble not too low? I had a look at some cloth caped ones as reference and the bubble is mounted higher up the card despite the bubbles being the same size (well seemingly). But then again I'm not an expert.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Ok,so it isnt the same piece.Thanks for putting the original picture up Christian.Do you remember if the card on Torres figure was slightly warped Christian,because i seem to remember Andy Clarke saying it had a bit or warping when he saw it.There was a thread on the old IOP forum about this,where Andy gave a rundown on the condition.I realised it wasnt the same figure(even with damage)after noticing the cape flap was tucked a different way.

Ill admit i could well be wrong about this,but my surprise is the £6000 price tag from Torres.IF this was original if would have commanded much more,so i just cant figure this out.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Anyone know what this went for??

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/palitoy-star-wars-3-3-4-figure-jawa-1-c-7bb2593429

Try comparing this to any other Palitoy VCJ you see

silver grin

Sith Lord
Supporter
Palitoy78 said:

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/palitoy-star-wars-3-3-4-figure-jawa-1-c-7bb2593429

:eek: :eek: :eek:

No idea how this wasn't spotted?! Shouldn't we give Liam a kicking for missing this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
That's 4 opened examples and 2 "sealed" examples we're up to now then. The only one we don't have pictured was bought by a french collector off ebay several years ago and had a backdoor cut in the back of the card so the vinyl bubble was completely sealed to the card.

:)

Jason

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Out of interest,match up that link and look at it against Joiners-any simliarities?Especially the graphics around the punch.Im not saying damage was added to give it that authentic look though.The star graphics around the punch seem to be in exactly the same place,and the bubble positioning the same too.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Palitoy78 said:

Try comparing this to any other Palitoy VCJ you see

That one sold for £280.

Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Palitoy78 said:
Out of interest,match up that link and look at it against Joiners-any simliarities?Especially the graphics around the punch.Im not saying damage was added to give it that authentic look though.The star graphics around the punch seem to be in exactly the same place,and the bubble positioning the same too.

Just checking, you are comparing the vectis link against the one at Elstree?

H3260-L26114791.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

If so, they are different cards. The star graphic above the top of the punch is in the center on top of the dimple on the Elstree photo, and to the left off center of the dimple on the vectis one. Plus the vectis one has been cut round the bubble so the figure could be removed from what I can see.

Jason

Black Falcon

Padawan
mr_palitoy said:
e30318is said:
That is a corking piece Jason. Have any of you guys seen a cloth cape Jawa turn up on a palitoy card with the VC bubble?

Exciting times for Jawa and Palitoy fans :mrgreen:

Again, there is no sealed example of this. This is a picture of a cloth cape in a VC bubble:-

2171440790063731603S600x600Q85.jpg

2165048490063731603S600x600Q85.jpg

2926872720063731603S600x600Q85.jpg

The bubble at the top of the card is cut, and a cloth cape jawa has been inserted. While there is room in there for him, it is very squashed, and in my opinion could not have been glued to the card without a significant number getting the cloth cape caught up in the glue.

Jason

For the record, the piece pictured above is in my collection now Jason.
Also pictured here http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/3457/medium/Palitoy_12B_front.jpg

- Graham

Black Falcon

Padawan
Thanks for posting the picture of the Elstree piece Maulster79.
The Elstree example is not the same Torres one that Christian has shared.

- Graham

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Black Falcon said:
Thanks for posting the picture of the Elstree piece Maulster79.
The Elstree example is not the same Torres one that Christian has shared.

- Graham

No worries mate. :wink:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
So my write up on my cardback site about the existence or not of a palitoy vinyl caped jawa is looking a bit dated now:-

http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy/sw12bcardback.htm

"There is a single reported MOC example of a vinyl caped Jawa, though this is unverified. The vinyl cape on the Jawa was replaced with a darker brown cloth cape making the vinyl cape very rare. Fakes are common and many collectors rue the day they swapped their inferior plastic caped Jawa for a cloth one in the school playground when they were kids."

Think I'll update that page with the latest findings and a picture or two.

Jason

Starzone

Padawan
OK here are my thoughts.

I had a good look at the figure (the best I could under the starcase, poor lighting and behind glass) and it certainly looked good to me. The seal was good, clearly waffled with the correct bubble and correct thickness sellotape holding the blaster, which had yellowed and I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Could it be fake? well I guess it's a possibility, but I don't think so. I understand it was purchased around year ago as part of a near complete set from a journalist who had bought them to photograph back in the day.

Also with regards the timeline, VCJs were still on the pegs over here as late as 1980, I had a VCJ as a kid and still have all my childhood backing cards all of which are Palitoy except one....yes you guessed it the Jawa, and this is one of the reasons I have always doubted the existence of a Palitoy VCJ.

While I guess this is not going to put the discussion to bed just yet, it has gone a long way to finally confirming the figures existence.

Happy Collecting!
Darren

Joe

Grand Master
Starzone said:
Also with regards the timeline, VCJs were still on the pegs over here as late as 1980, I had a VCJ as a kid and still have all my childhood backing cards all of which are Palitoy except one....yes you guessed it the Jawa, and this is one of the reasons I have always doubted the existence of a Palitoy VCJ.

To add to this there were also a lot of Kenner VCJ's exported to other countries in Europe namely Germany where they seem to turn up loose by the bucket load.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Thanks for the info Darren.

Have stuck up some new blurb and a couple of pics on my 12b page:-

http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy/sw12bcardback.htm

12b_vinyl_jawa.jpg
12b_cloth_jawa.jpg

"There have been quite a few examples of opened and sealed vinyl caped jawas on the 12B cardback showing up in the last few years. There have been four opened examples with the correct smaller sized bubble which were used with vinyl caped jawa in the Kenner product line. And there are two known examples of ones which are sealed. Neither of these have been graded by AFA or UKG and until one is, there are still two camps who firmly believe or don't believe that vinyl caped jawas were ever sold on Palitoy cards. One of the open examples has a Zodiac toys price sticker which would indicate that it was shop sold. The vinyl cape on the Jawa was replaced with a darker brown cloth cape making the vinyl cape very rare. A bigger bubble was used for the cloth cape jawa as the vinyl bubble would appear to be too small to contain a cloth cape one. Fakes are common and many collectors rue the day they swapped their inferior plastic caped Jawa for a cloth one in the school playground when they were kids."

cheers Jason

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
silver grin said:
Palitoy78 said:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

No idea how this wasn't spotted?! Shouldn't we give Liam a kicking for missing this!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

The one place I very rarely check is Vectis! I recently found out tho is that they sold a ROCKET FETT back in 2002 for £230!!!!!! (no I have missed a 0) :eek:

Anyway dont want to hijack the thread. If anyone wants to discuss this I will open a new thread! :)

momike

Jedi Master
Joe makes a good point about shouting it from the roof tops. I know nothing about mocs so I can't comment about if it's real! If it was mine and legit I would have it graded or get a coa for it at least.

Lee77

Sith Lord
Maulster79 said:
Does jim stevenson have a website or contact?

Thanks.
He's not got a website mate. I've got his number on an email on the computer somewhere. If you don't get it, I'll have a look tonight for you. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom