The car that Yoda rebuilt: THE BIG REVEAL 17/10/2015

BlueDog

Sith Lord
New pics on last page. :) Also decided to change the name of the thread from Toys to Yoda as it was primarily my Yoda focus that funded it :lol: Yoda will also be featured somewhere discreetly on the car as tribute to his sacrifice!

A while back I mentioned in another thread that fact I was selling off my Yoda focus to partly fund the restoration of my wife's 1969 VW Beetle. The way I figure it she's not once complained about me collecting over the past 5 years, occasionally the odd raised eye brow but that's it.

I figured it was time to pay her back for her acceptance of my addiction to little plastic figures and what better way then restoring her very first car. This car was originally her Grandmothers so it's been in the family for over 40 years .

Hardest part about this resto is that she knows nothing about it. The car has been in storage at a mates farm since 2005, keeping an old German NSU micro car company. It was last driven on our wedding day and then retired due to it's condition, lack of brakes being the first that comes to mind. Her family has also come to the party with some cash to help fund it which which is great and a big help.

Five months ago the idea was born whilst I was considering what to do for her 40th Birthday which will be in October next year so I've got another 17 months to complete the project.

If it was any other car I'm not sure I'd tackle it, Beetles are so well catered for in the restoration department that parts are reasonably priced and easy to source. My neighbour has not only offered his garage but his guidance an knowledge as well which is a huge help. Bloody amazingly generous considering we've only been living here for a little under two years.

So as of two weeks ago the car was snuck down on a tandem trailer while Donna was asleep ( night shift worker ) and the resto began. It's being garaged at my neighbours house two doors up which also adds to the difficulty of keeping it hush hush.

Here's some pics of what's been accomplished so far, this is all a learning curve for me as I've never really worked on a project this large. Mostly bikes before this.

Pick up day
b_zpsa008ee0e.jpg

d_zps88926a2e.jpg

f_zpse777a5e0.jpg

Strip down
h_zps0e0b8761.jpg

i_zpsd40ec523.jpg

l_zpscb124ef3.jpg

n_zps9fad61fb.jpg

Discovered the floorpan completely rusted out.
k_zpsfa4db1ac.jpg

Old one cut out
o_zps8af2dea4.jpg

p_zpsa4c6f72f.jpg

New floorpan installed
r_zps560b13c9.jpg

So that's it for now, I'll update the thread as we make significant progress for all those interested.

UPDATE : 16/04/2014

Here's a few more pics of what's been done over the past few weeks.

My 2yr Old Benji testing out the strength of the new floor pans, he approves.

s_zpse91ef931.jpg

Trying to get the body work done before winter sets in.

t_zpsca3ddfcb.jpg

Engine needed to come out as the body to engine seals were cactus, may as well service it while it's out. New plugs, distributor, leads, heater hoses, fuel lines, vacuum hoses and heater exchanges all being replaced.

u_zpsc3f95715.jpg

v_zps5e88155d.jpg

Engine degreased and pressure washed.

w_zps870fbcf6.jpg

First coat of high filler.

y_zpsadac91d2.jpg

Dust coat of black will help to pick up all the low and high spots when sanding.

z_zpsb3a17ff7.jpg

Update 20/05/2014

Ok time for another update, sanding time (sanding sucks).

B_zps3784b50f.jpg

C_zps8c81d09d.jpg

All sanded ready for first coat of colour

F_zpsf88ae61b.jpg

D_zpsf2da450d.jpg

After a rub down it's onto the final coats, 2 more of colour then 2 of colour with clear introduced and four coats of straight clear. I've used acrylic clear over base instead of 2 pack paint as I don't have the facility to bake the paint.

J_zpsb48158dc.jpg

K_zps27c5f8fd.jpg

H_zps85103042.jpg

And that's about it for now, need to wait roughly four weeks til' the paint has hardened enough for a final light sand and then a buff and polish, in the mean time I've got all the parts I need to rebuild the brakes and freshen up the engine, new clutch, carbie, distributor ect.

**** me I'm learning far more than I ever wanted to know about cars. :lol:

Have to admit it's a really enjoyable experience and seeing it come along is great fun.

Cheers Ryan

walkie

Sith Lord
Ryan, you gotta love a vee-dub!!!

I also own 1 or 2....

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6159-does-anyone-collect-model-cars?highlight=toy+cars

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Thanks Weaz will do.

Awesome collection there Stef, don't think I've ever seen that many dubs together in one room. Brilliant that it was a combined effort between your bro and you too. Great stuff.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Nice one Ryan. That's going to be a labour of love but im sure it'll be worth it. Looking forward to the updates.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
This is going to be a great thread to follow. Best of luck with this. Looking forward to seeing the restoration completed. Im sure your wife will be over the moon with this.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Superb mate, keep the pics going as you progress.

I have a mate who restores VW s

He has done loads of Beatles, and a couple of Karmann Ghia s

I personally would love a split screen camper

Fantastic that you are doing this for the Mrs, it will look fantastic mate

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Awesome Ryan 8)

Looking forward to seeing thing progress...

BTW say hi to Xzibit for me :lol:

Also @Walkie Jr Jr loved the car collection :wink:

Also WTF happened to the 'new' shaped Beetle? The new Mini is spot on but VW got it so wrong with the revamped Beetle especially considering how good looking the original is :cry:

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Thanks fellas, I'll be sure to keep updating with pics as the resto moves along.

JR there'll be no pimp'n I'm afraid :lol: Back to original for this old car, my wife wouldl kill me if I presented it to her with 20inch LCD screens in the roof lining a killer sound system and 50inch rims :lol:

Mike, here's one for you. Nice and cheap :shock:
[youtube]a05hYEqF_Dw[/youtube]

Sorry X-Pack none of the blokes pictured are me :D

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Awesome Ryan

Literally a labour of love :D

Looking superb mate, big congrats on what you've done in a short space of time, great skills buddy...Christ I don't know one end of a spanner from the other :?

8) 8)

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
Shame you're all the way over there I still have bug parts in my garage. Bonnet, boot, headlamps, visors, hubcaps etc. Good luck always good to see a VW on the road

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
Lengths some guys go to for special trouser kisses lol.....I actualy was thinking bout getting a old xr2 to do up as it was first car I fell in love with but seems everyones had same midlife crisis as there all done up and fetching over 3 grand lol.. I was joping to get one for bout 200 .

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Good luck finding anything considered vintage for 200 quid.

Hey PC I'd definitely be interested in some decent hub caps if your keen on selling them mate, I'll drop you a PM.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Hey fellas, haven't been around much as family life and this project have kept me fairly busy. Hope all of you are well.

I've posted an update on the first page with some new pics for those interested.

Cheers Ryan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom