Anyone reading the new canon novels?

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Following on from the new Marvel comics thread, I was wondering if anyone else is reading any of the new canon novels at all?

So far I've read;

Lost Stars
Bloodline
Aftermath
Aftermath - Life Debt
Aftermath - Empire's End
Rogue One - Catalyst
Rogue One Novelisation
Lords of the Sith
Tarkin
Thrawn

Halfway through Rebel Rising at the moment, all about Jyn Erso between the hatch and ending up in the Imperial prison.

I have Guardians of the Whills, Battlefront: Twilight Company and Dark Disciple to read next.

Also on pre-order (Do like a hardback in the collection!)

Battlefront 2: Inferno Squad
Phasma
Leia, Princess of Alderaan
The Legends of Luke Skywalker
Star Wars 40: From a Certain Point of View

It's really interesting to see so much now from the Imperial point of view and showing the Rebels as terrorists.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Bloodline was awful and has put me off novels for the moment. I'm most of the way through Empire's End. some of the books have been very good but my general concern is that few of them move the story forward in any meaningful way at present.

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Bloodline was a drag. I enjoyed Lost Stars but Dark Disciple by Christie Golden was really good. She has a new book out in July and I'll be getting that too.

Aftermath IMO was crap, and I got half way through Catalyst and that was so boring.

I learned a long time a go that a brand name does not mean it will be good, it is the author that is key to how good it is. Going forward I'll just stick with Golden for now. I don't read a huge amount.

I just finished reading the Vader comic and IMO it is miles better than Star Wars. Which I should have known, I had read Kieron Gillen's work on X-men and he is pretty damn good.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I'm just going through rebel rising but otherwise have read everything....I loved bloodlines! One of the best along with lost stars and Thrawn.... Aftermath was shockingly bad, the first one I wasn't happy with at all....the other two had a few redeeming qualities...

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Bloodline took me a while to get into but I did eventually and quite enjoyed it.

Yes Aftermath got better after the first book, although I didn't think it was bad as everyone else thought.

Lords of the Sith was a great read for me, hooked me straight away and couldn't put it down.

The Star Wars comics certainly got better after I read them again after reading the Darth Vader series.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Finished Dark Disiple last night, loved it, so glad to get a Vos story and the basic premise is a mirror of the original Vos story from the Dark Horse republic comic run back in the day.

Read Thrawn and thought it was fantastic, fingers crossed for more of that.

Aftermath was great, tool a few hundred pages to adjust the writing style but then feeding into Bloodline (which I enjoyed) and then Force Awakes, (which I thought was a rubbish book) but overall an enjoyable run.

Catalyst was good and really worked leading into Rogue One, which I thought was a really good adaptation.

Got most of the other books staked up ready to read next, Ashoka will be my next read, then maybe Tarkin.

Never read the legacy books as they are now, but happy to be reading the new cannon.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I really likes Ashoka, and the audiobook is actually read by Ashley ekstine.... The other one I was actually really impressed with was a new dawn, the set up for rebels...that with the kanan comics I thought was brilliant...

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm going to pick up the Ashoka book, been really getting into watching Rebels lately, also need to get back into Clone Wars.

Finished Rebel Rising and halfway through Guardians of the Whills at the moment.

Got Dark Disciple and Battlefront: Twilight Company lined up next.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Finished Ashoka yesterday, great read and feels like part of the rebels/clone wars cartoons but obviously in paper form :)
Given the gap between the end of the book and the start or rebels there is space for more... Fingers crossed.

Started in on New Dawn today, 40 pages in and enjoying the set up, again feels close in tone to the cartoons and enjoying the early Kanan story.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
New dawn is incredible, it really helped to get me into rebels and introduced Sloane from the aftermath books....

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Yeah, really happy to find Sloane in the book, really liked the character in aftermath and where she ends up, so looking forward to how she gets on here.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just started "From a certain point of view"

This book is great so far, did the first 50 pages last night.

40 short stories from A New Hope from the perspective of other characters, well worth a read, ties in really well with the film.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just read;

Leia, Princess of Alderaan
Phasma
Dark Disciple

All very good books, Phasma was way better then I thought it would be, had me gripped from the start.

Just started Heir to the Jedi and have The Legends of Luke Skywalker and Ashoka left to read now.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
With a baby in tow my reading time is very short but almost finished phasma....agreed a better book than I thought....can't wait to start leia....I find heir to the Jedi was slow! And so need to get my copy of the new Luke book, where did you order your copy from?

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Read the aftermath series really enjoyed them.

Bloodlines was also a great read

Thrawn was superb for me, fantastic book looking forward to the next one 8)

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Spookedhippie said:
With a baby in tow my reading time is very short but almost finished phasma....agreed a better book than I thought....can't wait to start leia....I find heir to the Jedi was slow! And so need to get my copy of the new Luke book, where did you order your copy from?

I just pre-order all mine on Amazon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom