Marvel Comics

Richard_H

Grand Master
Going to give this another go now we have new members.

If you're a fan of the Marvel comics I'd love to hear your thoughts. Would like to discuss mini-series/arcs and the progress (or lack of) of the storylines.

Can I suggest that we reread the main SW title comics book 1-6 and start posting our thoughts on that one over the next week?

Richard_H

Grand Master
Here are my 1-6 variants that I am going to start reading now

IMG_3670.JPG

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Subscribing to all the new marvel SW comics, not quite upto date but sat on the shelf ready to read, although I do only reed them in trade bindings rather than monthly.

Also bought the 3 fantastic classic marvel hardbacks that bound all the vintage stuff up that came out last year, pricey but worth it.

I do think the core SW comic is great, love the darth Vader run and can't wait for the first edition of Dr Aphra. Also just odered the crossover screaming citadel.

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Now this is good timing, I've just ordered the first collection as a combined paperback, both the Skywalker Strikes and Vader books. I'll come back later in the week once I've read them.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I use the digital codes with mine, which is how I prefer to read my comics now... Wish I had the Han variant, only regular release one I'm missing...

Richard_H

Grand Master
Issue One to Six:

Brief overview of story...

Set after the events of ANH. Story starts with the Rebels on the offensive, looking for Imperial facilities to attack. Han, using his connections with Jabba, infiltrates the Imperial base with Luke ans Leia dressed in Skiff Guard disguises. Luke discovers the Empire are using slaves in their factory and the story looks at freeing them in their mission. Darth Vader arrives, Leia's anger is perfect as she pleads with anyone to take him out on arrival with a sniper. Vader survives the attack and meets Luke. Luke is pretty pathetic as a Jedi at this point but Han arrives in an AT-AT and attempts to kill Vader. The Imperials prevent the first attack on their base but Luke sets off a reactor core from his speeder bike which destroys the facility. He escapes when the Falcon flies in before Vader closes. Vader begins to wonder about Luke's ability and knows Obi-Wan has faith in him. When they escape we travel to Tatooine. Luke visits Ben's hut, Vader meets Jabba and a subplot is beginning. Boba Fett is tasked to track down Luke and they meet at Ben's hut, Luke never sees Fett due to a flash bomb but Luke knocks Fett out when a metal box hits Fett on the head as they grapple. Han and Leia begin scouting for new planets as the Rebels look for a new base and Leia tries to stop Han from leaving. The arc ends as we meet Han Solo's wife pointing a blaster at Han and Leia and Vader finally hears the word 'Skywalker' from Fett. Luke has Ben's journal retreieved from the hut.

From the start there were some nods to the original movies - Skiff guard disguises, 4LOM appears, a Rancor Keeper type character, AT-AT Walkers, speeder bikes, AT-STs, Jabba's Palace is visited, Mos Eilsey cantina, Fett, and many more.

The Good - Han and C-3PO chemistry is very good, lots of insults traded which work. Luke is not all powerful. He is struggling with 'the force'. Leia is very angry as she should be after Alderaan. Han is struggling with helping the Rebels v a smuggler's life. Vader is very powerful and merciless - using Stormtroopers as shields. I like that Vader takes Luke's saber straight off him. He doesn't know who Luke is and is trying to destroy him psychologically. None of the TFA issues with this battle. The bickering between Han and Leia is funny, especially in the AT-AT - Vader is the one in black lol. I like the idea of Luke visiting Ben's hut on Tatooine as a starting point on his journey to be a Jedi. Ben leaving clues for Luke explains a lot. Fett is given some credibility. I like little things like Tusken Raiders have taken over Ben's hut since he has been missing. I'm glad we're not hit with new character, after new character... only Sana Solo seems to be important at present.

The bad - Leia changes from a good disguise into a white costume which seemed odd. Could she really punch and knock out an Imperial officer? In a short space of time the Rebels have blown up the Death Star and taken out a major weapon's facility - doesn't really seem to gel with me. It irks me a little that the Imperil Commander doesn't deny the Death Star disaster when Han taunts him. This 'Rebel Propoganda' seems to be a central theme at other times. I don't like other characters referring to Ben as 'crazy, wizard etc' sometimes terms like that are overused.

Overall a solid introduction to the new canon and very enjoyable.

Woolyniner

Jedi Knight
Good summary Richard. I just finished it myself and enjoyed it. I did not even notice Leia had changed out of her disguise costume, but like you I did think her thumping a guard seemed odd.

The dialogue was bang on and I felt these where the same characters I was watching at the end of Ep IV. At first I thought bringing Fett in was too forced and trying to appease fans, but as I read on it did maker some sense. It is good that the plot lines of Luke finding his way as a Jedi, the Rebels looking for a base, and Han wrestling with his bounty and helping the rebels are all present. It would have been disappointing if they had just gone off at a tangent and had some wild adventures. Although I am concerned how long they can maintain this without feeling too much is being filled in between the films.

I have not read it yet, but on flicking through it appears the Vader comics run nicely along side the Star Wars ones.

The comic art was good too, all characters matched their film versions, and I like the way Leia's ESB hair do made an appearance but still went back the ANH one at times too.

I'll be picking the next collective volume up for sure, but probably at one a month.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Yes, good points. It has to tie in between ANH and ESB. I hope we don't run into quite a few massive adventures...

I had the same thought about Fett initially but Fett is clearly one of the main characters in SW as he is selected by Vader in ESB to hunt down the Rebels, along with a few other BH.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I too thought that about fett, but was happy with his appearance when all said and done. I love the journal of obi wan, apart from the last visitation to it in the series, I think it was a fantastic idea and has welcome breaks from the overall series...

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
Excellent stuff, I'll give these another read and chime in :D

I have up to Star Wars #31 so far (all figure variants). I think I've read up to about #26.

I have all the Darth Vader run, ties in well with he Star Wars series, need to read them all a couple of times till it sinks in!

I as well use the digital codes, comic goes straight back in the plastic and read on the kindle.

I see Star Wars #31 is Screaming citadel part 2, so will need to pick up part 1 (I assume separate like Vader Down).

I have neglected the comics a bit lately as I've been working my way through a lot of the new canon books.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
So as a complete set of titles so far are any missing?

Star Wars
Darth Maul
Darth Vader
Kanan
Princess Leia
Chewbacca
Doctor Aphra
Lando
Han Solo
Poe Dameron

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
That's everything, but if you look for one shots then there are the c3po special and the two cross overs each start with their own issue; Vader down and screaming citadel...

Although not marvel, I also count darth maul son of dathomir as that is new cannon...you can buy it on the marvel app and is a good read

Palifan

Sith Lord
I've picked up all the action figure variant ones and read them all up to # 30, # 31 just arrived but as mentioned it's the second part of the Screaming citadel with 3 for due after it. I've enjoyed them all for the most part but the Yoda arc in the last few issues have taking me over the edge with it all and I'm now calling it a day with these.

For me it was mainly the action figure covers I was interested in and only really wanted the first 30 like my release carded figure collection. Of course it ended up being a few extra ones due to the extra variants they did but the Empire figure covers aren't quite the same as the first 10 released ESB figures on Palitoy cards so I can see that they're just going to keep going and some of the stories and artwork aren't quite what they used to be.

On the whole a fun series and I may buy the odd one just to get the mentioned covers to match the first 30 released figures but as I've had to have these all shipped to me it's to much money to spend each month for the fun I'm getting out of them now. If I want to carry on reading I'll just get the graphic novels form the library.

Ian

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
I agree the yoda arc was a huge disappointment and way over the top.... I hope we don't have that again! Usually I wouldn't get every issue and wait for graphic novels but as the comic comes with a free digital code for each issue its perfect. I get to read the comic on my tablet without having to worry about damaging the paper comic

Jamieh72

Youngling
I agree that the main Star Wars book has been very good by and large. I thought the leia and Han mini series were also very good.
Doctor Aphra has been excellent as much for the psychopathic droids as the main character.

Looking forward to the new Vader series which is out in June.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom