Buy it now or offer

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
Not hugely irritating, maybe a little irritated but am I being stingy? Your thoughts and experiences with the old Ebay.

Two figures both from the same seller, and both listed buy it now at £5 each and £2.89 P+P. So I made an offer of £4 for each, thought it was reasonable enough, helps with the silly postage costs. Its auction time ended as well as a decline, and I guess the other that hasn't timed out just yet will also be declined. So far both have gone unsold, kind of wonder what the point is in putting listing items with a BIN and make offer.

Am I just being a tightwad? or was it reasonable...

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Perfectly reasonable mate, but it's down to the seller in the end.

All depends how much you want the figures and for the sake of a couple of quid if you just do the BIN

That's where buying and selling on a forum outweighs eBay, there is more personal interaction on a forum and like minded collectors engagement, eBay is purely a buying and selling platform.

Out of interest wat were the figures?

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
I think it was a perfectly reasonable offer, I had the same experience recently and have sort of lost faith in Ebay, to many dickheads on it :x

Sundancer Squadron

Jedi Master
Supporter
It was a Hoth luke and Hoth rebel commander loose and without weapons, working on my next goal of doing a run of Hoth related figures. Yep your absolutely right, its down to them in the end. For sure, having much better experiences purchasing from other forum members. Still though, for the sake of £2 for the two figures maybe I should of just used the BIN but again for that some of it all, one has gone unsold and the other likely will do so as well hmmm.

Wouldn't go as far as him being a richard head (maybe i'm being to kind)' but the cockwomble meter is reading high so far in 2019 for ebay hunting as a whole :lol:

tigerham

Sith Lord
Sundancer Squadron said:
Not hugely irritating, maybe a little irritated but am I being stingy? Your thoughts and experiences with the old Ebay.

Two figures both from the same seller, and both listed buy it now at £5 each and £2.89 P+P. So I made an offer of £4 for each, thought it was reasonable enough, helps with the silly postage costs. Its auction time ended as well as a decline, and I guess the other that hasn't timed out just yet will also be declined. So far both have gone unsold, kind of wonder what the point is in putting listing items with a BIN and make offer.

I've had a similar thing for something different on Ebay. Puzzles me, but maybe they expect someone to make them a higher offer than the starting bid?! I gave them an offer lower by only 50p purely for the fact I wanted the item quicker than the listing was for, lol. No reply so I ended up bidding and winnning it anyway for near enough the staring price. :?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
tigerham said:
Sundancer Squadron said:

I've had a similar thing for something different on Ebay. Puzzles me, but maybe they expect someone to make them a higher offer than the starting bid?! I gave them an offer lower by only 50p purely for the fact I wanted the item quicker than the listing was for, lol. No reply so I ended up bidding and winnning it anyway for near enough the staring price. :?
Tigerham what you are discussing is a different kettle of fish. When a seller lists as an auction with the make me an offer button in addition, he is imagining the auction price start is a low start and will be hoping that it is bid up. Therefore he is highly unlikely to accept an offer under his initial auction start bid. I'm not saying that he hasn't got his prices wrong and isn't a twat or trying it on, only he's not going to accept a bid under that auction start price.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I use the BIN and best offer almost exclusively when selling on eBay. Sometimes I list on auction. However, I have normally done my research and got the prices about right, priced to sell.

I do put or best offer though. Clearly I would like to sell at the higher price but appreciate some people might not value it at the same amount as me and am prepared to negotiate. I set a minimum amount and any low ball offers below that are rejected by eBay instantly. I am willing to accept around 10% off and if a buyer meets the minimum but has not bid within 10% off the BIN price I make a counter offer.

I make it a point to always reply and am always courteous. I do hate it when people do not have the courtesy to reply.

tigerham

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
tigerham said:
Sundancer Squadron said:

Tigerham what you are discussing is a different kettle of fish. When a seller lists as an auction with the make me an offer button in addition, he is imagining the auction price start is a low start and will be hoping that it is bid up. Therefore he is highly unlikely to accept an offer under his initial auction start bid. I'm not saying that he hasn't got his prices wrong and isn't a twat or trying it on, only he's not going to accept a bid under that auction start price.

Hi, yes that's what I was saying about them wanting a higher offer and I also mentioned that I wasn't sending an offer for a reduction but for the item to be sent quicker. But I know what you mean.

Yes was slightly different of course but made me think and was also about making offers slightly above the set price or set starting price.

tigerham

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
I use the BIN and best offer almost exclusively when selling on eBay. Sometimes I list on auction. However, I have normally done my research and got the prices about right, priced to sell.

I do put or best offer though. Clearly I would like to sell at the higher price but appreciate some people might not value it at the same amount as me and am prepared to negotiate. I set a minimum amount and any low ball offers below that are rejected by eBay instantly. I am willing to accept around 10% off and if a buyer meets the minimum but has not bid within 10% off the BIN price I make a counter offer.

I make it a point to always reply and am always courteous. I do hate it when people do not have the courtesy to reply.

Absolutely about not replying. Communication is the key in any sale, whether that be eBay or anywhere else for sure. Not replying tells the other absolutely nothing, even if it's just to let them know what is going on either way so no one is in the dark, so to speak.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
If the listing has a 'make an offer' option then always do that unless it's a giveaway price for something you know is easily worth what the BIN is - for risk of losing it to someone else.

The irritating thing is when you make an offer on something and it's neither accpeted or rejected - to me that's bad form.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Sundancer Squadron said:

Nothing wrong with your offer at all, but as someone who has sold a fair few items with a "make an offer" option I have had some right muppets. One guy made me an offer of about 15% of the asking price, that was to include PP fees and postage (he was in the States). When I pointed out, quite politely, that his offer would actually leave me out of pocket after postage and PP fees so thus I wouldn't be accepting it, he went bonkers. It was actually quite funny.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom