TAX USA

choffialoopa

Padawan
Hey

I can find a few posts dating back to 2013-2014 that sort of hints the US import tax.

But is it correct that since Ebay is a Private Person to Private Person interface there is no hidden taxes applied to a purchase other than the listed shipping costs? For instance say UK customs add an enormous extra tax when the package hits UK? (Goes for Germany /Denmark/France etc)

The Dollar is pretty low atm so some nice potential buys can be done even including the shipping price. But I haven't ventured that way yet. only Europe.

Richard_H

Grand Master
You still have to pay import tax unless the seller marks it as gift and values at less than £20. If there seller offers GSP then there is no extra charges

tigerham

Sith Lord
choffialoopa said:
Nobody with any US eBay experience?

I've had several experiences with US eBay sellers and simply ask before buying if they will put the value at $25 and mark it as 'gift'. If so then I buy. If not then I leave it as I refuse to let UK customs get their greedy hands on it and tax something which was taxed all those years ago. :roll:

tigerham

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
You still have to pay import tax unless the seller marks it as gift and values at less than £20. If there seller offers GSP then there is no extra charges

What's GSP Richard?

stu70

Padawan
tigerham said:
Richard_H said:

What's GSP Richard?

Global Shipping Programme, it's a service Ebay offer, if the seller sends the package using this you pay all the import charges up front, how much you pay is based on the price of the item. I recently bought a figure from the states for $85.00, about £60.00, and got stung for £22.77 for import charges and the Royal Mail handling fee that was sent first class international, not with the Global Shipping Programme.

Add to that shipping of £16.00 so in total another £38.77 on top of the price of a figure that cost £60.00, so although the dollar has fallen a bit lately you still have to take into account the "real" price of the figure with all the extra charges.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I rarely look at eBay US because of those costs.
Lets hope that a customs agreement can be sorted before the same happens when shipping from EU, after we leave Europe!

tigerham

Sith Lord
stu70 said:
tigerham said:
Richard_H said:

What's GSP Richard?

Global Shipping Programme, it's a service Ebay offer, if the seller sends the package using this you pay all the import charges up front, how much you pay is based on the price of the item. I recently bought a figure from the states for $85.00, about £60.00, and got stung for £22.77 for import charges and the Royal Mail handling fee that was sent first class international, not with the Global Shipping Programme.

Add to that shipping of £16.00 so in total another £38.77 on top of the price of a figure that cost £60.00, so although the dollar has fallen a bit lately you still have to take into account the "real" price of the figure with all the extra charges.

Ah yes, thank you Richard. I've seen those and avoided for that reason.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
I rarely look at eBay US because of those costs.
Lets hope that a customs agreement can be sorted before the same happens when shipping from EU, after we leave Europe!

If the seller agrees to value item low and mark as 'gift' then there's nothing they can do about it. True insurance isn't covered but it's difficult to claim on figures anyway plus in my opinion I always expect them to turn up fine because if they haven't then it's not about the money for me but the fact that a piece of history is 'history' so to speak.

But then I'm a collector not an investor. :p

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
I would avoid GSP as much as I would a Palitoy C3PO from Brighton.

The UK customs are very efficient at remembering to invoice packages marked over £20. If only all public authorities were so diligent!

MarkG

Jedi Master
punk_pat said:
I would avoid GSP as much as I would a Palitoy C3PO from Brighton.

Now, now, not all of us from Brighton have a Palitoy C-3PO...... how about a Trilogo one ?? :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom