eBay, paypal and adyen

Taffius

Sith Lord
Hi all,

Thought i would start this thread on here as although its early days, ebay recently announced its intent to use Adyen as its future intermediating payment provider. I know a lot use paypal so I thought it would be good to do some research in the coming weeks and see if I could provide some material and/or experiences from forum members on the advantages/dusadvantages of what Adyen vs PayPal could bring to us all. If not required then please advise and I wont progress this.

To start, the content for those you have not seen the announcement is here (received via email on 1 Feb 18):

"eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We're also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email [email protected].

We're looking forward to what's next, and to getting there with you."

Taff

Taffius

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
I have never heard about Adyen, are they cheaper ? :D

Thats what I hope to find out however would like to find out why the reasons for +ve's for us all as surely there cannot be downsides to such a move! :lol:

Taffius

Sith Lord
Source: cnbc.com

"What is Adyen?
Adyen, a much smaller start-up based in the Netherlands, is an online payment company that provides businesses with backend payment services including credit card processing and point-of-sales (POS) systems."

Details are minimum at the moment but ft.com reports that Adyen might float this year (does that mean its not a repro?). Adyen won the contract with ebay. ebay had been associated with PayPal for 15 years! I do remember they were in essence one of the same for many years anyway.

I also believe PayPal will still be an option but you will have to leave ebay pages to pay. Adyen will be integrated as an option and probably the processor for fees and charges.

Thats all I have for now. Have asked eBay for more info.

subzero

Sith Lord
My first thoughts when I read the ebay message was "please don't do escrow, please don't do escrow".. releasing payments to the seller when the buyer confirms there's no problem with the transaction would obviously be good if you're a buyer, but would be an utter nightmare for sellers.

Iv'e been having a feeling ebay will eventually go this way at some point in the future to give buyers 'more confidence to buy', so i'm really hoping this Adyen ( whoever the **** they are ) won't have this kind of escrow system for ebay sales.

Taffius

Sith Lord
subzero said:
My first thoughts when I read the ebay message was "please don't do escrow, please don't do escrow".. releasing payments to the seller when the buyer confirms there's no problem with the transaction would obviously be good if you're a buyer

Didnt exactly know about escrow so thanks for that. I believe on initial research its a replacement for paypal thats better integrated for apps and one button purchases (buy and pay in one smooth hit). Time and info will tell. Many thanks for input.

subzero

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
subzero said:
My first thoughts when I read the ebay message was "please don't do escrow, please don't do escrow".. releasing payments to the seller when the buyer confirms there's no problem with the transaction would obviously be good if you're a buyer

Didnt exactly know about escrow so thanks for that. I believe on initial research its a replacement for paypal thats better integrated for apps and one button purchases (buy and pay in one smooth hit). Time and info will tell. Many thanks for input.

No probs, as long as they don't get rid of paypal altogether and it's still an option to use then i'll be happy.

I don't like change! :lol:

apack7229

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Taffius said:
subzero said:

No probs, as long as they don't get rid of paypal altogether and it's still an option to use then i'll be happy.

I don't like change! :lol:

Well then you'll absolutely hate this. :lol:

Attachments

• huge-pile-of-gold-coins-DRXFHE.jpg
    huge-pile-of-gold-coins-DRXFHE.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 920

Taffius

Sith Lord
I emailed ebay via the email address included in the notification push mentioned in my first post. In summary, I asked what would be the immediate benefits to use Ayden over PayPal and in part they provided two blurb summaries for sellers (first mentioned), then buyers. They have stated:

"Seller benefits:

Lower costs and more control of their economics. Most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced after they transition to eBay's intermediated payments model, and benefit from a simplified pricing structure and more predictable access to their funds.

Central place to manage their business. eBay is working on solutions to provide sellers with information about their eBay business, inclusive of payments information, in one place so that sellers can easily track and manage all of their transactions and customer interactions on eBay.

Greater buyer reach and improved conversion. By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion."

"Buyer benefits:

More payment options at checkout. eBay is focused on providing consumers greater choice in payment options at checkout.

Integrated checkout experience. eBay will manage the entire checkout experience, delivering a more streamlined experience for consumers."

So there is the initial standard PR response. See what comes out as our friends across the pond experience as they will see the changes first.

Hope this has been useful so far.
Taff

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Will it be cheaper to use them and not paypal if you have to pay with another Currency ? the paypal Currency from danish KR to other Currency like the £, $ or EURO is high and I loose money on it when I use paypal and I pay more than ebay tell me it cost when I win an auction. If I pay from my bank with my creditcard then my bank take a higher price :( so is adyen cheaper ? :?

Taffius

Sith Lord
Apack7229 actually started a thread too on this before me which I havent seen till now:
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35938

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom