Waffle pattern 100% guarantee

choffialoopa

Padawan
Before I stayed glued to the screen with this Chewie 12 back in 6 days, is there any way that the wafflepattern can be reproduced? (clearly visible in picture 7)
Looks almost too good to be true, even with the punch hanger intact...
And I can't see the waffle pattern in his two other listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Action-Figure-Chewbacca-Kenner-12-back-carded-MOC-1977/152866157792?hash=item23978874e0:g:-6gAAOSwXOhaW6-y

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes it is possible to fake the waffle pattern, but just like making a reproduction card back that looks genuine, thankfully it's extremely difficult to do so convincingly. This particular Chewy however looks 100% original and untampered with to me, so I would say bid with confidence if it takes your fancy.

subzero

Sith Lord
I don't know if it's the image resolution or not but I can only make out the waffle pattern on some of the one side of the bubble..?

The rest of it looks like a slick seal.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I think the pics have just been taken with a less than stellar camera. However, the card is shiny on the front, matte-finished on the reverse, has the correct downwards bend on its edges from front to back where it has been punched from the cardboard sheet, it has a very sensible (i.e. period) punch, the card has a slight bow to it, and the bubble has a slight crush! Who's going to fake a card of that quality and then deliberately damage it? And as for the waffle pattern, with some cameras it simply doesn't show up very well unless you angle the camera just right and get close up. The one photo where the waffle pattern is clearly showing is actually there as a close-up of the bubble crush, not the waffle. The seller doesn't even mention the waffle pattern, which they certainly would do if they had gone to all the trouble of making a fake card of that quality including a bogus waffle.

The card's genuine. If I was after one in that condition I'd happily buy it myself. Bid with confidence, but in the event of there being a problem, open a dispute and return it for a full refund under eBay's Buyer Protection Policy.

subzero

Sith Lord
Wise words there from Snaketibe.

Yes I also noticed the difference in finish between the front & back, and like what's been said it's all very hard to fake to look genuine like that.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
It's always gamble when buying on line but if it's been stated it's 100% original and turns out it's not you'll always have eBay on your side so bid away I'd say .

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I think it looks fine, his other items are fine as well. They've been looked after very well IMO. :)

yoda

Sith Lord
Looks like it's all good for you from what the guys say, good luck with the bidding. It was the camera pictures and the back at the top looked like a card similar to mine that put me off. But then again I'm not an expert on these and unfortunately my card now seems it looks like a fake. I bought it years ago before I joined the forum so i had no help and I can't return it on eBay.
1516098471368747109926.jpg

1516098511269179827568.jpg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
yoda said:
Looks like it's all good for you from what the guys say, good luck with the bidding. It was the camera pictures and the back at the top looked like a card similar to mine that put me off. But then again I'm not an expert on these and unfortunately my card now seems it looks like a fake. I bought it years ago before I joined the forum so i had no help and I can't return it on eBay.

Yoda mate it is hard to tell on these and I'm not comfortable saying something is a fake unless it's completely obvious and unless you have it in hand it is some times hard to be 100% sure. Good thing about posting on here is a lot of experience collectors will see your Han Solo. The colours on the back look a bit out to me, but the thing that does it for me is the tape for the blaster, they weren't generally taped like that and the tape doesn't look 40 years old. Just my opinion and I'm sure some others will add their views.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
yoda said:
I'm really sorry to say it Yoda, but sadly the card you show in those pictures is definitely a fake. The giveaways in this instance are firstly the hole punch; yours has a 'Europunch' which is commonly available these days, but was not used on any vintage Star Wars cards. Modern repro and fake card makers use Europunch hole-punchers because they're readily available, but the punch-holes they make are simply too tall and hence also the wrong shape, whereas the exact hole-punchers used during vintage cards manufacture (which were probably incorporated into the card-cutting presses rather than being separate hole-punch units, of course) simply aren't available as they're no longer generally standard sizes. Once you know what a Europunch looks like, you can instantly spot 99% of fake cards out there, as practically all of them have them. Secondly, the card shown lacks the correct sheen from litho printing, and instead appears to have all the muted finish hallmarks of being inkjet printed. Thirdly, the Han Solo image on your card is now a well-known poor quality scan which always seems to be used in Han fakes, despite it looking so washed out in comparison to the real thing. Fourthly, the footer looks white-backed, which is wrong; it should be grey or grey-brown-backed. And lastly, as theforceuk points out, the tape is completely wrong.

I'm really sorry some scumbag managed to con you. You don't remember their username, do you?

subzero

Sith Lord
Taking the seller to small claims could still be an option if it was purchased within the last 6 years.

Sorry to hear it's a fake, nothing worse than that!

choffialoopa

Padawan
Thank you very much.

And again a pleasure to have such wisdom at hand.
Once you think you know enough about collecting you get a whole new dimension from just one post :)

yoda

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
yoda said:
I'm really sorry to say it Yoda, but sadly the card you show in those pictures is definitely a fake. The giveaways in this instance are firstly the hole punch; yours has a 'Europunch' which is commonly available these days, but was not used on any vintage Star Wars cards. Modern repro and fake card makers use Europunch hole-punchers because they're readily available, but the punch-holes they make are simply too tall and hence also the wrong shape, whereas the exact hole-punchers used during vintage cards manufacture (which were probably incorporated into the card-cutting presses rather than being separate hole-punch units, of course) simply aren't available as they're no longer generally standard sizes. Once you know what a Europunch looks like, you can instantly spot 99% of fake cards out there, as practically all of them have them. Secondly, the card shown lacks the correct sheen from litho printing, and instead appears to have all the muted finish hallmarks of being inkjet printed. Thirdly, the Han Solo image on your card is now a well-known poor quality scan which always seems to be used in Han fakes, despite it looking so washed out in comparison to the real thing. Fourthly, the footer looks white-backed, which is wrong; it should be grey or grey-brown-backed. And lastly, as theforceuk points out, the tape is completely wrong.

I'm really sorry some scumbag managed to con you. You don't remember their username, do you?
theforceuk said:
yoda said:

Yoda mate it is hard to tell on these and I'm not comfortable saying something is a fake unless it's completely obvious and unless you have it in hand it is some times hard to be 100% sure. Good thing about posting on here is a lot of experience collectors will see your Han Solo. The colours on the back look a bit out to me, but the thing that does it for me is the tape for the blaster, they weren't generally taped like that and the tape doesn't look 40 years old. Just my opinion and I'm sure some others will add their views.
subzero said:
Taking the seller to small claims could still be an option if it was purchased within the last 6 years.

Sorry to hear it's a fake, nothing worse than that!

Guys I forgot to reply thanks for the info, I have suspected what you guys have now confirmed awhile back. Those pointers you have given me showing what to look for will definitely help me in the future before I buy again, thanks for that.
I can't remember the seller how far back can I check my eBay history? From what I can remember it could have been well over 5 years ago.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
yoda said:
Guys I forgot to reply thanks for the info, I have suspected what you guys have now confirmed awhile back. Those pointers you have given me showing what to look for will definitely help me in the future before I buy again, thanks for that.
I can't remember the seller how far back can I check my eBay history? From what I can remember it could have been well over 5 years ago.
For my part in helping, you are very welcome. I'm just sorry the card's not genuine.

Regarding your eBay history, I've just looked at mine and it only goes back to 2016 (and I've been using eBay a lot longer than that!), so if yours is the same, it may no longer be available to you. However, if you keep your old emails (or if you use web-mail with a forward to a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird), you may find an old copy of the eBay purchase confirmation email still exists either in your client or on the web that you could pull the seller's details from.

Good luck.

yoda

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
yoda said:
For my part in helping, you are very welcome. I'm just sorry the card's not genuine.

Regarding your eBay history, I've just looked at mine and it only goes back to 2016 (and I've been using eBay a lot longer than that!), so if yours is the same, it may no longer be available to you. However, if you keep your old emails (or if you use web-mail with a forward to a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird), you may find an old copy of the eBay purchase confirmation email still exists either in your client or on the web that you could pull the seller's details from.

Good luck.

Ok no worries I'll try to see if I can find it hopefully, even if it's just to make others aware of this seller and what he's up to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom