Header image

Solo: A Star Wars Story Solo SPOILERS pre-embargo reactions

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story Solo SPOILERS First Reactions

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 am

any idea what time the movie is in ? are we talking about 10 years before a new hope ? :?

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 am

Pomse2001 wrote:any idea what time the movie is in ? are we talking about 10 years before a new hope ? :?

Han was supposed to be 29 in A New Hope so 10 years might be a stretch?

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 am

lejackal wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:any idea what time the movie is in ? are we talking about 10 years before a new hope ? :?

Han was supposed to be 29 in A New Hope so 10 years might be a stretch?

how old is he in the new solo movie ? :?

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby jayums » Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Reviews are a bit mixed. I have read it’s a bit safe / boring with a ‘linear’ storyline.

Gotta say after the glowing reviews for TLJ, I’m quite relieved by that! If by ‘linear’ they mean the plot isn’t incredibly convoluted to the point of being nonsensical, then that might suit me down the the ground!

Saw the trailer with Lando/Han in a gambling den, and thought the space aliens seemed very pretty cool (and very OT). Not enough space aliens in the new films for my liking (That canto bight scene felt too prequelly and cartoon-ish for me, besides being utterly boring and pointless).

Personally I hope it’s more akin to rogue one than the main trilogy.

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Sun May 20, 2018 9:19 pm

jayums wrote:Reviews are a bit mixed. I have read it’s a bit safe / boring with a ‘linear’ storyline.
Gotta say after the glowing reviews for TLJ, I’m quite relieved by that! If by ‘linear’ they mean the plot isn’t incredibly convoluted to the point of being nonsensical, then that might suit me down the the ground!

Couldn't agree more.
If the likes of Collider, Jeremy Jahns and John Campea are giving it so-so reviews, then there's a good chance I'm going to love it.

Looks like the fan backlash boycott might just be happening, though.
Just checked my local Vue (Cribbs Causeway Bristol) and the midnight showings are virtually empty.
Also, down to 46% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 am

Twin30mm wrote:
jayums wrote:Reviews are a bit mixed. I have read it’s a bit safe / boring with a ‘linear’ storyline.

Couldn't agree more.
If the likes of Collider, Jeremy Jahns and John Campea are giving it so-so reviews, then there's a good chance I'm going to love it.

Looks like the fan backlash boycott might just be happening, though.
Just checked my local Vue (Cribbs Causeway Bristol) and the midnight showings are virtually empty.
Also, down to 46% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Yeah, I think that was always going to happen after TLJ, particularly with Solo coming out so soon after.

Just because it is Star Wars they seem to think they can just churn out anything and have all the fans enjoy it, In fact it's quite the opposite.

Even more care needs to be taken to appease the OT fans whilst also bringing something new for the younger audiences. Tricky, but with the right people working on a project it can certainly be done. I thought TFA had it's flaws but still mostly enjoyed it. TLJ on the other hand was a bit of a mess, I particularly did not like the way they handled Luke and his part of the story.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 am

only 1 day left, tomorrow I am going to the cinema to see the solo movie here in denmark :D

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Wed May 23, 2018 10:04 am

Just booked my tickets at the local Cinema for Thursday night it’s not even on in the big screen and was about a dozen seats booked. I can’t lie I’m excited about seeing it but it’s the 4th film in less than 3 years, the Star Wars Cinema factor is wearing off. :? :) 8) Two words though, Kessel Run. 8)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Twin30mm » Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 am

My local Vue has more than halved the amount of midnight screenings (from 12 to 5).
Is SW fatigue setting in, or are other factors having an impact (fan boycott etc.)?

I'm still interested in seeing it (despite the reviews), but I've thought all along that having a film a year was a big mistake.
The divisiveness of the Last Jedi has only exacerbated the problem IMHO.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Wed May 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Twin30mm wrote: but I've thought all along that having a film a year was a big mistake.

This has crossed my mind a lot recently......

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Wed May 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Don’t worry we have a long 18 months to wait after this one.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Wed May 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Twin30mm wrote:My local Vue has more than halved the amount of midnight screenings (from 12 to 5).
Is SW fatigue setting in, or are other factors having an impact (fan boycott etc.)?

I'm still interested in seeing it (despite the reviews), but I've thought all along that having a film a year was a big mistake.

Totally correct. This is typical Disney cash cow treatment, though. Look what they've done with the Marvel Universe and as a lifelong Marvel fan it's been tough.

I am looking forward to this but I'm not building any hopes up nor do I expect much from it. After TLJ I think this approach should work just fine. That way if I enjoy it then it's a win :) I'd far rather come out of there feeling happy than hacked off.

Disney just need to keep from rubbing the lamp too much otherwise they run the risk of the genie disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm

If they keep churning films out like Rogue 1 and Solo I’m happy to have a new Star Wars film once a year, even if you get the odd ropey one. :)

Return to “Star Wars Films”