Not one?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
The results are in: TFA got no Oscars despite 5 nominations. Although that sucks I'm not sure I'm overly bothered and it certainly doesn't detract from the film. It's just odd such a universally popular film doesn't earn some recognition in the form of a mini-3PO. Seems to have lost out to Mad Max a lot. Anyone seen it and care to comment? I had written it off as yet another remake of an 80s classic but I'm going to have to watch it now.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Fury Road is best seen at the cinema I think as the sound and action sets need to be experienced on the big screen. When I rewatched the first one afew weeks ago I found it alot more wierd than I remembered. It's just come on Sky Movies for free if you have that.

Palifan

Sith Lord
In a way I'm not all that surprised by the results as I found Mad Max really entertaining as well as seeming quite fresh with it's ideas/look and directional style (as well as editing). It took a very long time for that film to get made and although the story line is thin to say the least it's all about the visuals and for once they did out way the story in a good way (that rarely happens).

TFA was a real treat to see and I can't wait to see it again at home but I'm not sure if there was anything new there with regards to the way it was made. Great design and all but it's built off the back of 6 films so hard to be seen as anything original. I know Mad Max has been done before and this new one sits quite closely to number 2 of the originals but I think as it's been such a long time since the last one it all seemed quite new in a way. Also I though George Miller who directed it, directs like a very young man with so much energy and shows what can be done at any age.

The winner of the VFX award was Ex Machina and again I can see why. That film was made with a fairly low budget but they really knew where to spend it (a few great actors and one killer designed robot by Jock!). I think it really did deserve the award and maybe there's just too much history with the Star Wars franchise to strike gold again (so to speak). Who knows though, there are plenty more films to come and maybe a few more BB 8 type ideas might paved the way for awards. One other thing to remember is that the box office for TFA really shows that there's a lot of love out there for that film and I know which one the studios would rather have out of the two options of awards or money.

Ian

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mad max was pretty good but not a patch on TFA. It's probably not cool to like Star Wars so they didn't vote for it. Not surprised it didn't win but I reckon it should have won something??

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Fury Road was better than tfa in my opinion and my favourite film last year.
Where it really excelled is the production design though, the costumes and vehicles are truly amazing.
Tfa had some cool new stuff but most of it was recycled from the originals so it doesn't compare in terms of original ideas.
To be fair to lucas one thing the prequels do have in abundance is great new locations and vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom