Price stickers covering damage on Trilogos

Joe

Grand Master
In light of the guy on eBay selling 3 of these (right now) I decided it was time to post up an article about scammers transplanting non Kay Bee related stickers to Trilogos in order to cover damage: http://trilogo.info/carded-figure-guide/spotting-price-sticker-transplants/

cheers joe always on the ball! this was something I saw
back in the mid 90s. now prices have gone mad on carded I can see
this being common place!

poncho

Grand Master
Interesting read joe.

i saw a trilogo on ebay.com the other week with a random shop sticker not kb and thought it was odd i know now why

Joe

Grand Master
indianawars said:
That's a hideous stunt to pull on people... Well done for highlighting it Joe.

No problem at all, it's definitely an eye opener to people when they first hear about it but it's been going on for years :(

Here is a Kenner figure I used to own that had two stickers placed over a nasty rip from a previous sticker removal attempt. Notice how there is no litho on the backs of the stickers! (These literally just fell off when soaked in goo gone)

Before sticker removal:
77bk_o10.jpg

After:
tear10.jpg

Stickers:
sticke10.jpg

I think if a sticker looks suspicious then it's definitely worth taking a closer look, even if you only pull it up slightly to see if there is any damage underneath. People have fooled AFA countless times with transplanted stickers too so don't for a minute think a graded piece is safe.

TBH (having learned the hard way) I wish people would just leave stickers alone, there really isn't anything wrong with a vintage original price sticker and if one bothers you - don't buy it. All of those cover ups in the article were no doubt done to conceal damage that happened because people tried to remove original Kay Bee stickers. Those stickers are stuck down so good they very rarely come away clean. Need to do a campaign to stop people from meddling with things :D

Jez

Sith Lord
Fantastic work Joe. This message needs maximum publicity. Happy to spread your knowledge.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Bastards doing this. Old news but I got scammed on a Palitoy Tusken Raider about a decade ago. It seems obvious now with hindsight.

sandpeople1.jpg

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Great info Joe, many thanks :)

I picked up a v valuable MOC last year that had a genuine period applied shop sticker and made an attempt to remove it using the lighter fluid technique but on this rare occasion the price sticker wasn't playing ball after the first quarter surface area lifted without ease. Thankfully no damage was done to the card itself underneath so I just left it. Also the sticker is near top right and not covering up anything important so displays great :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom