Hoth stormie skirts?

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
hey all knowing ones. :)

Spring is almost here and any fashionable Hoth trooper wouldnt be seen dead form a tauntaun bite without his chic "no front" white skirt.

As times are hard and hoth stormies are now unemployed since the rebels destroyed their office and killed their mangement structure.
They cant afford real skirts.

But as many of their clone fellows they do great craft work and can make thier own skirts.
The question is with what?? Is there a type of vinyl or plastic which works best and where can you get it cheap??

And before anyone goes all Reproscum on me these will be for display and will never be sold on, even as repros.
cheers

imp nut

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
:) yeah i was in the office today and had enough vinyl folders to kill someone but when i found the white ones they were all covered cardboard and the card was stuck to the back.

This is gonna sound stupid, but can someone take a pic of post a link to what they are talking about :oops:

Cause i did hit up a stationary shop, in fact this has become a major distraction in work cause it can be disguised AS work.
work may even be paying for my stormie skirts
:lol:

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Imperial nut said:
:) yeah i was in the office today and had enough vinyl folders to kill someone but when i found the white ones they were all covered cardboard and the card was stuck to the back.

This is gonna sound stupid, but can someone take a pic of post a link to what they are talking about :oops:

Cause i did hit up a stationary shop, in fact this has become a major distraction in work cause it can be disguised AS work.
work may even be paying for my stormie skirts
:lol:
Most look like they are stuck on but it's only the edges that are sealed. Try cutting the edge and you should be able to just pull the vinyl off.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I use binder vinyl all the time. Strip it right off of them...they come in black, brown, blue, grey and white. Easy to make your own capes and close enough to look good..but not enough texture wise to fool a seasoned collector.

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
:) i wont be fooling collectors with this, its just for my own display,, but am at a loss to which ones you mean all the ones i cut up lately have had cardboard on the back :(

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Imperial nut said:
:) i wont be fooling collectors with this, its just for my own display,, but am at a loss to which ones you mean all the ones i cut up lately have had cardboard on the back :(

The are the 3 steel ring vinyl covered binders you find in offices everywhere. There is cardboard inside them but the carboard is covered with the vinyl.

Heres an example
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/729624/Wilson-Jones-Basic-Round-Ring-39percent/

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
:D score, Repro haters look away now,,weasel,mods, you could move this to reference? but i am posting it here to stay on topic.

after studying tiefighterboys link i set off to find the holy vinyl grail.
And for €3 i found and binder with plastic identical to the gloss skirts the hoth stormies have.
In fact i was used to hearing that most vinyl was patterned and of a different thickness.

This stuff aint,,, however it is not as glossy and you could see the difference, but you would have to have a real skirt beside it.

But as i am only interested in these skirts for display i would have taken any kind of white vinyl, so nobody worry about a flood of repro skirts on ebay, i will destroy them if i ever sell the stormies, cause i dont agree with "WOW L@@K BEST CAPE ever repro Capes" on ebay or anywhere.

so to the how too guide :lol:
just in case any reputable collector on here wants to try this. I wont put it up on RS as i will only be shot in the face from point blank range with a shotgun if i do :D

right what you need;
IMGP0663.jpg

1.large box of stormies, some skirtless.
2.Pencil - important for rubbing out lines and no messy ink.
3.scissors -get an adult to help you if you dont feel confiedent or just hit up a large bong.
4.Awesome vinyl folder.

IMGP0664.jpg

A real hoth stormtrooper with REAL skirt.

IMGP0665.jpg

i love a bit of skirt.

now for the binder ,
IMGP0666.jpg

trace the outline of the skirt, fiddly and yes it makes it larger than the origional but just cut on the inside of the lines to get it closer . Also remember to trace the cape slits too. important later.

repeat
IMGP0667.jpg

repeat loads of times - this will get fiddly be calm and breath
IMGP0669.jpg

using a craft knife cut the cape slits while still on the folder as it is way easier than doing it after. i purposely left out the roundoffs at the ned of the slits to diferientiate from origionals and cause i am lazy.
IMGP0670.jpg

cut sheet off folder
IMGP0671.jpg

cut slowly and go cross-eyed
IMGP0674.jpg

And taaa daaaaa one new cape for mr.half naked stormie, general veers would be proud.
IMGP0675.jpg

IMGP0676.jpg

now i have tried to get better shots of the results but as i didnt have natural light i will have to wait but for fuzzy not very good comparision shots here ya go.

IMGP0677.jpg

IMGP0680.jpg

IMGP0682.jpg

any questions just ask,,,, any complaints referr to RS repropolice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nut

Any

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Glad it worked for you. I use a cardboard template I made from an original. As for the repro police...It's not their collection and to each their own...besides the material is not 100% identical.

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
Yeah it worked out and yeah if you had one of the skirts beside a real one you could tell the difference
,still wont be putting this near RS :lol: :lol:

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Imperial nut said:
Yeah it worked out and yeah if you had one of the skirts beside a real one you could tell the difference
,still wont be putting this near RS :lol: :lol:
They look good. Did you have any problems with the holes in the sides?

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
They look good. Did you have any problems with the holes in the sides?[/quote]

nope the holes are only in to stop the split from running or tearing to the edge, and this only come froms playing with them.
as i wount be playing much the side slits are holding up well.

Added to that it distinguishes them from the origionals.
but a leather punch would do the tiny holes if i wanted to.

poncho i am more impressed buy your imperial moff tarkin :mrgreen:

poncho

Grand Master
the imperial hoth stormie is my fav figure how many of the those badboys are have you got! it only took me a a couple of hours in total over over a period of a few months when i had some bored spare time lol. i used humbrol model paint (matt) not gloss! and sanded and sculpted a spare beater figure head i had knocking round.

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
Cool a bit of hard graft, i just put all the skirts on the stormies who didnt have one and i have 30 hoth stormies with 26 rifles and 7 origional skirts. so almost all wearing repro this spring.

Yeah i loved it as a kid but i never knew they had a skirt or i didnt know if i had imagined it.
My mates had some but we never knew if they were meant to have em.

Any way i love em , and i actually prefer the slightly stiffer repro skirts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom