Re: Handmade display cases (£20 discount on the 1st order)

e30318is

Sith Lord
Here are a few photos of a pair of display cases I have made from scratch. They are made out of a Red MDF, off cuts from a recent job. (These are very basic!)

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Ok, so I basically am offering the service of designing and making customs storage units to display Star Wars and or any other toy collections. Anything from small wall mounted units like the above, up to fully blown fitted free standing units. Obviously the two pieces I have here are for loose figures, but, I am also capable of making bookcase style units to display MIB items. Or combinations of loose figures, MOCs, boxed ships etc etc. You imagination is the only limit!
Why use me rather than Ikea? Ok, you can buy a case from Ikea for £80-150 that displays items. However they are only available with certain shelving configurations and certain dimensions. I can make any shape, including sloped items for Dormer bungalows, any size, any material- MDF, Ply, Pine, Mahogany, Oak etc. If you are interested please either pm me, email through my website or you can ring me at work and I will be more than happy to talk Star Wars, I mean display cases :lol:
At the moment im just gauging interest, I will happily quote for any work required. Please be aware that there are a large number of variables that affect the cost of this sort of work. (Size, shape and material) Therefore it takes a few days to work out and process a quotation.
I would love any feedback- even if you think my idea and product are ****!
Thanks, Ed

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I may well take you up on one of these one day for my loose figures Ed. I like the idea of a fairly flat wall mounted display. My freestanding glass display is too deep and is a bit cumbersome! Ill have a think mate, I wont be going for the red finish though. Something neutral for sure. :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The only issue I can think of is actually getting them to people.
Obviously the foreigners like Joe, Todd, Josh and myself will probably be ruled out by the practicalities of postage, but for the mainland UK/England based members, it will probably require collection, I assume!?

e30318is

Sith Lord
Thanks lads (Chris, Joe and Andy) Im glad you think they look the part.
The lads at work have been ripping the piss out of me-
"Oh, is that a little house for Luke Skywalker and his Ewoks?!"
The sods! :lol:

weasel said:
The only issue I can think of is actually getting them to people.
Obviously the foreigners like Joe, Todd, Josh and myself will probably be ruled out by the practicalities
of postage, but for the mainland UK/England based members, it will probably require collection, I assume!?

Weasel, you raise an interesting point. My idea was threefold:
1) People can collect, or I can post smaller cases, depending on cost.
2) For larger items, especially built in display shelving/cupboards I would need to come and fit them.
This means I come to you! And before Joe asks, Romania is not viable for me to come and fit!
3) I can arrange to bring items to shows like Memorabilia!

Thanks for the feedback though lads, I have waited a few months to post this idea- I dont want to appear to
be on here for the sole reason of selling my wares! If anybody has any questions let me know!
Thanks, Ed

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Lol, you have definately thought about this!

I THINK I remember Joe saying he was getting a local (Romanian) joiner to look at building a display case for him, although I don't know if anything came of it. Joe.............

plantman

Sith Lord
Depending on prices, i might be interested.

Have you got prices on a few default sizes, for example the ones on your pics?

Andy

e30318is

Sith Lord
Andy,
I have no prices at all yet mate. I will try to get a few prices together:
One for a case to hold All 92 figures, plus a few variations and a couple of MOCs in Pine
The same in Oak
One for the droids and Ewoks size case in Pine
The same in Oak.
I will put a separate price for glass and tough glass too.
Planning on making some individual cases for holding a MOC in Acrylic Cases. Wall mounted again. For really special items!
Watch this space. Il report back with prices, once ive sharpened my pencil!
Ed

e30318is

Sith Lord
Ok, so I have worked out the materials and the labour to make these.
For 3'6" (Wide)x 3' (High) x 5" (Overall depth) (The larger of the two pictures) With three slots for MOCs/ Mailaways/ baggies coins or variants etc
In solid Pine, with a ply backboard and with TOUGHENED glass The materials are approx £60.
The labour to make them will be another £60.
Total of £120. This price doesnt include decorating of any kind- they can be oiled or painted at extra cost
I am willing to bring these to Memrobillia NEC in November to avoid collection/ postage costs.
If anyone is interested, I would need to have finalised sizes by the end of October, if you require them for the show.
If you require a different configuration the price may alter depending on the size. (If its smaller the price will be less, if its bigger it will be more!)
Finally, thanks for all the interest. It looks like I will be coming to the NEC in a van....... :lol:
BTW I may accpet payment in Vintage Star Wars, but it depends what you have!
Ed 8)

geordie

Padawan
Ed,

The display cases look great mate, ive literally got no spare floor space at my house, so something that i can fix to the wall is definetaly a possibility. Better again as all my figures are boxed up :x

Are there holes or re-enforced corners to hang it? As if i get one it will have to "hang", obviously the weight of the figures is negligble so its mainly the weight of the case.

cheers

Andy

Joe

Grand Master
weasel said:
Lol, you have definately thought about this!

I THINK I remember Joe saying he was getting a local (Romanian) joiner to look at building a display case for him, although I don't know if anything came of it. Joe.............

I got as far as putting the plans in his hand Weaz then he basically said he doesn't work with acrylic (I wanted an acrylic front panel as it was going above my desk and if it did ever fall on my head I didn't want to be covered in glass!) and that he would put a nice big sliding glass door in there, basically I said no lol

Here is what I use at the moment, we got some decent furniture with two display cabinets.
dscf2910.jpg

It's not what I wanted for my loose figures , they are displayed but behind a door lol, maybe one day I will get that case sorted :roll:

Joe

Grand Master
This is what I was hoping for (this is how Max on RS has his figures)
dsc_0013.jpg

Its simple and very compact, I think if you knocked some of these out Ed it would be a good idea!

I think Max said the panel on the front opens from bottom to top and is lockable.

Joe

Grand Master
Yes he did, I think he painted it himself but he measured up and worked with the bloke who made it.

Snazzy eh?

I did ask him for the cases measurements but he never got back to me

e30318is

Sith Lord
Hi everyone. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you,
Andy (geordie)
The cases are designed to be fixed on the wall, the choice is either secure it through the ply back, or use mirror plates.
For lightness, Pine would be the best material. To keep the weight down, we can also use Perspex instead glass.

Joe, I must admit, I love the design of that case. It looks perfectly feasible to make something like that. I can get Perspex easily, although I don't know about the price, I would hope it is cheaper than toughened glass.
My case had a similar principle. The front is one piece. To get to the figures all you do is slide the front and lift it off. I can put a simple Eye and Hook, or maybe something more lockable to secure it if required. Thanks for the input Joe, do you think it possible for you to contact the guy from RS for me and ask him to send you some close up pictures? :wink:
Thanks for all the pms I have received, I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of interest this idea has had. Keep em coming lads :lol:
Ed

Joe

Grand Master
Yeah sure Ed, will see if Max is about to send you some info, he runs swproofcards.com (I don't remember if there is a contact email for him though)

I can send him a message on RS and ask him to send you some info :)

e30318is

Sith Lord
General bump! If anyone does want a case made in time for November NEC then the sooner the better. I'm open to making different designs and out of a variety of different materials. Glass or Acrylic painted or stained. I've had a few emails expressing an interest.
Ok, who wants a special then..... First person to pm me with a definite order gets a bonus £20 discount to the regular price :wink: . Id love someone on here to have one of my cases, as a goodwill gesture £20 off the first order made.
Ed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom