Frosting

burnsy

Sith Lord
Hiya chaps,

I know I've seen this mentioned before.

When a sealed figure has frosting is it easy to remove with UV lighting or other
types of lighting??

How successful is it??

Thanks

Joe

Grand Master
Most light frosting will come off on a sunny day outside Stu.

Not tried special uv light but sunshine works wonders.

If it is as bad as this vader then you might not get it all off :(

shawn_k

Sith Lord
burnsy said:
Hiya chaps,

I know I've seen this mentioned before.

When a sealed figure has frosting is it easy to remove with UV lighting or other
types of lighting??

How successful is it??

Thanks

I've heard that this works, but have never tried it myself. Here is a guide on the toyfixer website

burnsy

Sith Lord
Cheers mate, I'm an eyeing up a purchase but it has frosting.

Have you tried it before then Joe??

Joe

Grand Master
Yep I had a trilogo with frosting , weird one but it worked.

If its a figure with a cape its more tricky, if its just plastic all over then you should come off well!

Good luck!

Joe

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The frosting is awful on that Vader Joe (I'm not mentioning which part of him, for obvious reasons).
Is he yours?

Lee

Padawan
I defrosted a kenobi 12 back myself a few years ago and it worked fine.

A hot sunny day is good (if you can find one in this country) and if you get the card in the right place in the rays of the sun you can see the frost disappear before your eyes :)

I've heard that you can also use a desktop lamp with halogen bulb but i'm not sure what the results are like having not tried myself.

Ron

Sith Lord
What makes the plastic go frosted. I not really seen mass ammounts of them about. Is it just the odd figure. Or where there batches off these made with dodgy plastic

phreatobite

Jedi Master
That's amazing - sunlight cures frosting! I have a RotJ B-Wing Pilot that has frosty legs so will try it... as soon as we get some sun of course.

Lee

Padawan
Ron said:
What makes the plastic go frosted. I not really seen mass ammounts of them about. Is it just the odd figure. Or where there batches off these made with dodgy plastic

Just a form of mould i believe - there is a thread about it on RS from ages back - i don't know the exact cause (temperature/light sources/chemical reaction)

Someone will have a more scientific explanation i'm sure :)

Joe

Grand Master
Lee Bullock said:
Frosting isnt mold its phlalate plasticizer leaching out of the plastic.

I don't doubt your Scientific knowledge Lee (at all) but could you elaborate?

It's just that most of the figures that seem to exhibit this "frosting" were badly stored, mouldy damp rooms etc at least thats the story you tend to hear time and time again.

Also incidentally I haven't seen it on many (if any) loose figures, so if its something that can happen from the plastic in the figure itself will it be something that happens in the future or is happening to loose figures right now?

Just interested to hear the background on the science, for me it was always known as mould :lol:

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
I dont know anything about phlalate plasticizer leaching out, but most figures that show these kind off "frosting" mostly have signs on the cardbacks to showing it has been wet or stored in a damp room.

If it was in a damp room with the right tempurature with it (there are many different kind off moulds and some grow in a damp space at room temperature) it could eaasily grow a mold inside the bubble.

Also the sunlight worked in many cases i've seen before. I tried with an UV light to get rid off mold once, but that did not work. I talked to others about this and it is the combination off the sunlight and heat that does the trick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom