Droid factory parts kenner vs palitoy ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
About the Palitoy vs the Kenner Droid Factory.

I know the base is different, but what about all the other parts are they different ? or are some the same ? :?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
The R2 sticker is different on the Palitoy, the easiest 'tell' is that the uppermost of the horizontal blue lines on the top centre of the sticker is wavy, not straight as n the Kenner.

Palitoy on the right:
Picture716.jpg

The Kenner DF came with a crane, while the Palitoy set had a winch, and those pieces are very different and unique to each version.

Otherwise, the sticker sheets and instructions are completely different (as of course is the box and base).

Pomse2001

Grand Master
AndyPreston said:
The R2 sticker is different on the Palitoy, the easiest 'tell' is that the uppermost of the horizontal blue lines on the top centre of the sticker is wavy, not straight as n the Kenner.

Palitoy on the right:
Picture716.jpg

The Kenner DF came with a crane, while the Palitoy set had a winch, and those pieces are very different and unique to each version.

Otherwise, the sticker sheets and instructions are completely different (as of course is the box and base).

thanks andy :D is the dome different ?

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:

I don't know, the one above (not my pic by the way, I found it on Google) shows the Palitoy with darker blue paint on the dome, but I'm not sure whether they're all like that.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
AndyPreston said:
Pomse2001 said:

I don't know, the one above (not my pic by the way, I found it on Google) shows the Palitoy with darker blue paint on the dome, but I'm not sure whether they're all like that.

ok, any idea about the small black wheels are they the same or are they different ? :?

Markzane

Padawan
I noticed all the stickers are are glossier on the Palitoy version, the Kenner are much more matte

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Funny you should ask, Lars, as I'm flogging one missing those parts st the moment. :wink: From my limited research trying find that out myself I ended up comparing some of the parts I do have (which is the vast majority) to Kenner counterparts online. From what I can see the actual droid parts, the moulded parts, not the stickers, seem to match. But like I said, my research is limited and far from conclusive. I did plan on trying to complete the set a while back but for a long time it's been a set that's been pretty low on my favourites and far from any focuses I had, so decided to move it on.

titusillu

Youngling
What I can contribute is not bomb proof, but I just completed a KENNER Factory by looking at all the parts I have here from 3 incomplete Palitoy ones. Unless I have been constantly and repetetly been sold Pali bases with Kenner parts, all but the aforementioned R2, crane and winch are the same!?! Dont quote me since I didnt open sealed boxes, but yeah it looks like the white and black droid parts are identical / from the same factory!?
Hope that helps ...

BY THE WAY: still looking for a R2 with Pali Sticker, LOL.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TK-7785 said:
Funny you should ask, Lars, as I'm flogging one missing those parts st the moment. :wink: From my limited research trying find that out myself I ended up comparing some of the parts I do have (which is the vast majority) to Kenner counterparts online. From what I can see the actual droid parts, the moulded parts, not the stickers, seem to match. But like I said, my research is limited and far from conclusive. I did plan on trying to complete the set a while back but for a long time it's been a set that's been pretty low on my favourites and far from any focuses I had, so decided to move it on.

I was thinking about giving you an offer on it, but since I only have the kenner and never have had a palitoy set, then I have to learn more about the parts for the palitoy set before I choose what to do :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
titusillu said:
What I can contribute is not bomb proof, but I just completed a KENNER Factory by looking at all the parts I have here from 3 incomplete Palitoy ones. Unless I have been constantly and repetetly been sold Pali bases with Kenner parts, all but the aforementioned R2, crane and winch are the same!?! Dont quote me since I didnt open sealed boxes, but yeah it looks like the white and black droid parts are identical / from the same factory!?
Hope that helps ...

BY THE WAY: still looking for a R2 with Pali Sticker, LOL.

thanks for the info mate :wink:

spoons

Grand Master
I thought the Palitoy R2 also had slightly different connectors on the legs, but could be wrong on that.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
I thought the Palitoy R2 also had slightly different connectors on the legs, but could be wrong on that.

Thanks andy, sound like I have to do some more research, let me know if you learn something more :D

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Markzane said:
I noticed all the stickers are are glossier on the Palitoy version, the Kenner are much more matte

Sorry, but it's actually the other way around, at least in my own sets and all those I've seen. The Palitoy stickers are matte and the Kenner ones are glossy.

And Lars, if you'd only chosen this set for Toy of the Week already you would have already had your questions answered, as I have comparison photos and a write-up already to post, as I also do for the Cantina playsets :)

I won't post those photos and write-up here, as I will continue to wait patiently for you to select the Droid Factory for TOTW, however I will preview my R2-D2 comparison pics here:

10 - R2 Comparison.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Markzane said:

Sorry, but it's actually the other way around, at least in my own sets and all those I've seen. The Palitoy stickers are matte and the Kenner ones are glossy.

And Lars, if you'd only chosen this set for Toy of the Week already you would have already had your questions answered, as I have comparison photos and a write-up already to post, as I also do for the Cantina playsets :)

I won't post those photos and write-up here, as I will continue to wait patiently for you to select the Droid Factory for TOTW, however I will preview my R2-D2 comparison pics here:

10 - R2 Comparison.jpg

Thanks mate for the info, is it then only R2 there is different and the base + the crane and stickers ?

The small parts to build with are they also different ?

Sorry, sounds like you hope it will be the next item for toy of the week :D

Markzane

Padawan
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
Markzane said:

10 - R2 Comparison.jpg

Sorry I should have checked before posting that! I did see a very noticeable difference though between the two. I couldn't see any obvious difference between the actual parts

Mark

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Markzane said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

10 - R2 Comparison.jpg

Sorry I should have checked before posting that! I did see a very noticeable difference though between the two. I couldn't see any obvious difference between the actual parts

Mark
No sweat :)

You are absolutely correct though that the stickers look very different.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

Thanks andy, sound like I have to do some more research, let me know if you learn something more :D

Pomse2001 said:
Thanks mate for the info, is it then only R2 there is different and the base + the crane and stickers ?

The small parts to build with are they also different ?

Sorry, sounds like you hope it will be the next item for toy of the week :D

Sorry Andy, but I believe you are wrong on that. The connectors are the same, as are all of the actual droid plastic parts of the two playsets. The differences are solely in the bases, stickers, cranes and boxes. The R2's only become different due to the stickers that you apply to them.

I will say that the blue paint on my particular Palitoy R2 dome is a darker shade than my Kenner one, but without a larger sample size of both playsets' R2's I wouldn't like to say that it's an actual variation. I suspect it's not a bona fide paint variation and may simply be due to a slightly greater / lesser paint application during manufacturing, and or perhaps some fading in the intervening decades, but I am happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong.

In the meantime, here are some close-up comparison photos of the two droids and how the dome attaches :):

3-Legged Comparison 01.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 02.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 03.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 04.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 05.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 06.jpg

3-Legged Comparison 07.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom