Removing 'New figure' sticker help

RetroRyan

Padawan
Hi all,

Ive tried researching this and the best solution for removing stickers from cardbacks is white spirit and cotton earbuds/Q tips.

I had a go at this, gave the sticker a goodcoating, left it for a good 5 mins, reapplied, another 5 minutes, then tried to peel the corner but it seems as stuck as ever. Id rather leave it on the card that it to be removed and look a mess. Its only a card back, not a minty sealed figure but still would prefer it without the sticker.

Has anyone had any success removing the big 'new figure' stickers from cardbacks?

lejackal

Grand Master
I wouldn't bother trying to remove it, try trading it for one without or sell it and buy the one you want. Chances are if you persist you'll end up ruining the card

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As it's "just" a cardback you could try using a hair dryer to heat the glue, that has worked well for me on video game console boxes. I have never tried it on a MOC before because it's too risky near the bubble, they melt. But as lejackal says many people like those stickers so you could either trade or sell, used trilogo cardbacks are generally pretty cheap and easy to find.

RetroRyan

Padawan
Like you say, i think i will just leave it, its so well stuck its just going to make a mess to try remove it. I already have a card back for an A wing pilot that it looks like someone removed the same type of sticker, and that has lifted in a few places and makes the card look generally quite tatty now.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
RetroRyan said:
Like you say, i think i will just leave it, its so well stuck its just going to make a mess to try remove it. I already have a card back for an A wing pilot that it looks like someone removed the same type of sticker, and that has lifted in a few places and makes the card look generally quite tatty now.

Thanks for the advice guys.
As others have said, these "New figure" stickers are next to impossible to remove.
Best off getting another one with out, plenty out there.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Normally I would recommend surgical spirit for sticker removals, however I haven't tried it on the large 'New Figure' stickers. There is however this YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COId8G1-aMc) where an old sticker (but NOT a 'New Figure' sticker though) is removed using lighter fluid and Vaseline of all things. I must admit this is NOT a method that I have tried or feel inclined to try, however in the video it works a treat, and since your sticker is on a cardback rather than a sealed MOC, in your place I might be tempted to try it.

Good luck :)

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Well I think the best thing to do I sell the one with the sticker and buy one that didn't have one. I'm not trying to be clever, but that's a part of it's history and I think best left alone.

As for white spirit, a big no! You don't want to put that anywhere near the card. Worst case scenario is you delaminate the card if you use too much, best case is you leave a film on the card that could stain over time if you're coating it, much like a water mark. White spirit does not evaporate like other spirits (methylated for example...and don't use that either!).

RetroRyan

Padawan
I'm just going to leave it, like others have said, some people quite like it, I'm trying to get a cardback for all my loose figures to make them complete, so its fine for that for now. I will keep my eye out for one without though.

I do have an ATST box which has been cocooned in celotape by someone in the past, any methods to remove this or is it a case of leave well alone aswell?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
RetroRyan said:
I'm just going to leave it, like others have said, some people quite like it, I'm trying to get a cardback for all my loose figures to make them complete, so its fine for that for now. I will keep my eye out for one without though.

I do have an ATST box which has been cocooned in celotape by someone in the past, any methods to remove this or is it a case of leave well alone aswell?
If the tape has dried and gone yellow, you can usually peel off the tape leaving a crusty coating behind. This crust can be removed by carefully rubbing it with surgical spirit, but be careful not to rub too hard or for too long or you will start to lift off the litho. Gently does it, and you will remove the crusting.

If however the tape is still fresh / firmly attached and not yellowing, that's a much harder ask. Really freshly applied tape can sometimes be peeled off if you're really, REALLY careful, but if it's now many years old, you're probably better off leaving it alone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom