Price rises over ten years

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I don't have spreadsheets and accurate records of everything I've bought and sold but I do have a file of photos of all the stuff I've sold on ebay and I write the sale price underneath after they've sold. It goes back ten years now from about a year after I started collecting. I was just looking at some of the stuff I sold back then and it's quite interesting. It brings it home just how much of a boom there has been in collectors in recent years and how much prices have risen. Especially with the accessories :eek: You could barely give them away then.

2010 Princess Leia no blaster sold £2.99!
015sold£2.99.JPG

Bib Fortuna belt sold £0.99
4-Lom breastplate sold £0.99
Maintenance Energiser hoses sold £2.99
Jabba pipe, bowl and leash sold £0.99
Leia Poncho poncho, helmet and belt sold £3.19!
029sold£3.19.JPG

Leia Bespin cape sold £0.99
Ugnaught bag sold £2.45
2-1B stick sold £1.99
Blue/black Imperial blaster sold £2.74!

2011 Near complete boxed Palitoy Millenium Falcon sold £43.00!
060sold£43.00.JPG

Logray,Teebo and Wicket accessories (six items) sold £3.74!
Leia Boussh rifle sold £1.28
Two Imperial rifles sold £3.20
Two Luke Jedi capes sold £2.77!
069sold£2.77.JPG

Lando Skiff helmet sold £0.99
Luke Stormtrooper fair/good condition no helmet or blaster sold £12.50!
Jawa with cape no blaster sold £4.60
Boba Fett no blaster sold £5.65!
073sold£5.65.JPG

Anyway, I thought some of the newer guys might find this interesting. It was a different world then, and it's only eight/nine years ago. I also just saw a couple of fairly nice condition ESB Mocs, 48 backs I sold in 2013 for around £35.00 each. Would be interested to hear about any Moc sold prices from around that time, 10-7 years ago.

lejackal

Grand Master
The first MOC I bought as an adult was a 32 back Bossk in 2014. It cost about £70 and when I sold it a couple of months later I struggled to get £50 back.
That was on eBay before finding this place. Earlier the same year or possibly late 2013 my first vintage purchase of any kind as an adult was a Kenner Emperor mailer that had actually been mailed out. It had the sealed baggie and the catalogue and was just under £20 shipped from the US.
I was amazed that you could buy a brand new, 30 odd year old sealed figure so cheap.
I do wish I'd started collecting earlier and I very nearly did in the late 90's after getting hooked on the EU novels, starting with the Zahn trilogy but I deemed it too expensive :lol:

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Can't believe believe how much prices have risen in a few years, wish we could pick up items for those prices now :lol:

Thanks for sharing :D

poncho

Grand Master
A few years back i did a moc run where most i wouldnt spend more than £25 including postage the thrill was in the hunt. I missed out on loads that eventually sold for £30-40 mainly rotj empire and trilogo. These days your lucky to find one in £30-40 bracket....

poncho

Grand Master
Last 15/17 loose have trippled in price over the past 10 years...asides anakin hell always be £10 even adter brexit

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Great reading guys, I remember some of the first moc I bought in the early 00. bought them on ebay for about $15 each it was ROTJ moc.

Found some old great threads about prices for the good old days on the forum

PBP Darth Vader moc £120 http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=328

Tri-logo Luke Jedi moc £60 http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32

Boba Fett moc £75 http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=631

here is some other great prices from andy :D

tri-logo 8d8 moc £20
AT-AT £45 etc. etc. http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2082

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Some funny prices there. I am one of those saddos who has always kept track of my buying and selling, check out the purchase and sale prices of this 12 back set I put together back in 2011 and then sold shortly after (doh!) Just over a grand for a full set! It's also funny that I lost money on both Leia's, pretty sure I could triple my money on those now :lol:

12backs.png

itfciain

Grand Master
I look back on some of my very early sales threads on here and it amazes me what certain items sold for then - an in some cases took days if not weeks to move - yet now if I put them up on FB at twice the price they would still be gone in a flash

Pomse2001

Grand Master
itfciain said:
I look back on some of my very early sales threads on here and it amazes me what certain items sold for then - an in some cases took days if not weeks to move - yet now if I put them up on FB at twice the price they would still be gone in a flash

Hi Iain, great to see you on the forum again, I have not seen you for a long time. How is it going ? :D

maxf

Jedi Master
DT figures and vinyl Jawas as well as proof cards have all gone up at least 10x their 2009 values... if only my wages had ;)

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:
Do you think Grading has affected prices much or is it just Demand outstripping Supply?

Grading has definitely boosted prices massively but also there is the case of demand outweighing supply.

Classic case I saw the other day, well known seller who achieves massive prices for highly graded items sold a Tri-logo 8D8 AFA 85 for £350 :!: I paid £130 for a v nice example late last year and I would have preferred to get it for closer to £100. Tbf it didn't grade 85, it graded a strong 80 but massive price diff-possibly because it's deemed rare to find a near perfect condition Tri 8D8 but take the grading element out the equation and no way would £350 be achieved :!:

itfciain

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
itfciain said:

Hi Iain, great to see you on the forum again, I have not seen you for a long time. How is it going ? :D

Good thanks mate - I still come on from time to time but work is so busy that I don't really get much time for the 'hobby' as work is the hobby :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
itfciain said:
Pomse2001 said:
itfciain said:

Good thanks mate - I still come on from time to time but work is so busy that I don't really get much time for the 'hobby' as work is the hobby :D

Great to read you are fine lain :D and that you still come on from time to time, great to read your hobby is your work, I wish I could write the same :lol: :wink: I could also use more time for the hobby :lol: about fb I have heard the same, things sell fast on fb and people pay more on fb :shock:

sith-smith

Grand Master
lejackal said:
I do wish I'd started collecting earlier and I very nearly did in the late 90's after getting hooked on the EU novels, starting with the Zahn trilogy but I deemed it too expensive :lol:

I was fortunate enough to get hooked on the novels in 92 and star wars was still relatively cheap. Hit car boot sales each Sunday and would get heaps of figures and vehicles. Saw most of the last 17 for 50p. Got a complete AT AT and ATST and almost complete y wing for £10!!

By 94, those days were pretty much over. There was still toys there but they were now quite a few pounds each and people were far more aware of what ones were rare. When I asked why all of a sudden they were so much I was told that they had now become collectible!

By the late 90s I managed to finish of my last 17 set but now the remaining ones were £30-50.

As always it is supply and demand. More people were getting into, so consequently prices rose.

Another issue is knowledge. When people discover pieces are rare the prices that cause a large rise.

I'm sure many people remember the palitoy 30 back auction in 1999 where lots of 3 moc went for a few hundred each.

Few years later it had become clear these were actually rare and even the more common ones were now 250+

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I can imagine Star Wars collecting was much more fun back then. Not only price wise but also in attitude. Not as many bellends, people showing off and wasting massive sums of money on overpriced items. Also so much less bickering and moaning? Wonder what it'll be like in 10 years time?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom