Blast from the past! Animatronic diorama display

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hi guys, been a loooong time since I posted anything on here but came across the link for this display again and thought it was too cool not to share. Some will remember this but I'm sure it will be "fresh" to many. Happy new year!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk96ri

All the best, Chris :D

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Stuart Skinner said:
Great to see Chris and even better to see you posting mate. Be good to see you back on these pages properly

Thanks Stu, I do lurk from time to time but I'm very lazy and rarely post. Im far from active these days in the collecting world.
Hope you're well buddy.

Chris

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I'd not seen that display before, very cool - it doesn't look like archival footage, I wonder is it recently taken? (ie: the display is in a current collection?)

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
The video was taken by the guy selling it at the time.
It is/ was an animatronic diorama display made for promoting the jedi toy line. Most likely for a shop window.
Probably the neatest shop display diorama that I have seen I think. There are others out there but I haven't seen any with this array of figures and level of complexity of construction.

spoons

Grand Master
Two blasts from the past, welcome back Chris

Wierd how the display is ROTJ but predominantly empire with a few Jedi dogs. Presumably hand an empire sticker until a few days before the rotj one

roundster

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thats beyond amazing!!

Love the old uk display items, imagine how much fun they must've had making this :lol:

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Two blasts from the past, welcome back Chris

Wierd how the display is ROTJ but predominantly empire with a few Jedi dogs. Presumably hand an empire sticker until a few days before the rotj one

You may well be right Andy. The scenes them selves in the diorama are empire scenes so that would probably make sense... Hey you wouldn't want to make a brand new one for jedi, this thing must have taken ages to put together.! :wink:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Amazing, many thanks for that link.
They did really well in getting all the ships in, including the mini rigs.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
That's quite a thing. Far too good not to post, indeed.

It reminds me that the big Menzies in Glasgow had a walk-in small room with dioramas in it behind glass. I'm guessing it was 1984. Was this the sort of thing Palitoy issued or just imaginative store staff?

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
That's quite a thing. Far too good not to post, indeed.

It reminds me that the big Menzies in Glasgow had a walk-in small room with dioramas in it behind glass. Not as good as in the video but good enough for me to lap up. I'm guessing it was 1984. Was this the sort of thing Palitoy issued or just imaginative store staff at work?

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Glad to see it is appreciated. . I remember it blowing me away when the seller posted it years back.

I believe an ex palitoy employee was making some of the displays, particularly the dome topped displays some of you im sure would have seen. The guys name was AJ Farmer or something of I remember. We know this because the dome ones seemed to come with a sticker saying as much.

Im not sure if this particular one was made by the same guy or not. When it was sold there was no mention of a sticker. The guy selling it picked it up at an auction house in Chiswick I believe. This must have been 6 or 7 years back I'm sure. Maybe more....

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
That is just fantastic, never seen it before. What a wonderful display piece. I wonder where it is now?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom