Top Loader Fix

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hi All,

I had a spare moment this morning so thought I'd put in a little work on a couple of my mocs.

Both mocs have bubble fails on one side and the top but the figures have never been removed. I didn't want to glue the seal on either of these as you would be able to see it and for the fact that they weren't intentionally opened. The Top Loader method seemed to be the best course of action so I made a paper template around each bubble and placed it inside the Top Loader. I then slid some thin card behind the template and using a metal rule cut the bubble window out using a scalpel.

It didn't take very long to do and now means that each bubble is fairly secure and hopefully will prevent any further problems with the seal. It's a good alternative to glueing the bubbles back in place and means I can display them now without fear of the bubbles falling off (even though I'm not sure if they'll fit inside an acrylic case anymore ).

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,295
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,298
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,298
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,298

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
They look brilliant mate

Toploaders are a great way of securing bubbles without any need to glue

I've done the same with a couple of bubbles that are completely loose and they look great.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thanks guys and it was nice and quick to do which always helps with these things :D

Ian

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great rescue job and has stopped the bubbles coming off totally.
Did you buy these like this or has this occurred over time on display?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Great job, Ian. Both cards look terrific, and as you say, it avoids the need to glue them. It's great when such a simple fix (albeit very well executed!) produces such a high quality result :)

Jeremy

Palifan

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Great rescue job and has stopped the bubbles coming off totally.
Did you buy these like this or has this occurred over time on display?

They were both bought like this so I picked them up for a good price and now they're nice and secure. I've seen bubble fails on both of these characters so there must have been something off with the batch of bubbles they went out with. It happens some times but I'm glad I didn't buy them as mocs.

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
If you get rid of the outside trim, it might fit into a case.

That's what I was thinking of looking at although there's not much material to play with as the front and back of the Top Loader may well separate if I start cutting into the edge of it.

I'll take a look though but they will display fine without the case so it isn't a problem either way.

Ian

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
This 45 back was from eBay bubble and card completely separate ( and in this case was a factory error with the bubble upside down as the imprint from thhe numbers matched up on the cardback upside down as well so must have been upside down originally)

Cut the top loader with a scalpel to fit the bubble and slipped into the toploader, looks great and keeps everything in place

Attachments

• IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,217

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
Grant_C said:

That's what I was thinking of looking at although there's not much material to play with as the front and back of the Top Loader may well separate if I start cutting into the edge of it.

I'll take a look though but they will display fine without the case so it isn't a problem either way.

Ian

An option is to separate them. The double layer is too thick to get under the acrylic rails. So you can 'fix' two 'MOCs' with one toploader. The case rails hold the sheet in place.

Palifan

Sith Lord
aussiejames said:
Palifan said:
Grant_C said:

Ian

An option is to separate them. The double layer is too thick to get under the acrylic rails. So you can 'fix' two 'MOCs' with one toploader. The case rails hold the sheet in place.

Ha! Now there's an idea!!

Thanks for that James, I may well give it a go if I feel the need to keep things all the same and display in a case (it's those little things that can really begin to bug a collector :lol: ).

Great work as well Mike and I'm thinking there are few mocs out there that have used the Top Loader method to attach their bubbles upside down. :D

Ian

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great idea James on the splitting of the Toploader, will have a go at that , I'm definitely an acrylic convert, especially for Mocs/reseals, think they really enhance for display, and they protect as well.

Yes Ian on the upside down bubble the toploader worked a treat, like you say little things like this make the difference.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Tried the cut toploader idea from James

The toploaders are quite stiff plastic so scissors didn't work but scalpel did, my cutting skills are a little off but it fits into the case and still holds the bubble,

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,153

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Michael Sith said:
Tried the cut toploader idea from James

The toploaders are quite stiff plastic so scissors didn't work but scalpel did, my cutting skills are a little off but it fits into the case and still holds the bubble,
Great job! That looks even better than before :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom