The only one in my house is in one of my lads toy boxes

Attachments

• A3AF4E8F-2985-4CA7-9B37-6C49B1E981E3.jpeg
    A3AF4E8F-2985-4CA7-9B37-6C49B1E981E3.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 1,214

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Time for the open belly Tauntaun is it, Lars? OK then!

I remember buying a solid belly Tauntaun from Ware Toy Shop in Hertfordshire as a child, and then taking it home and excitedly opening it... to find that it didn't really do much! It didn't do as little as the Twin-Pod Cloud Car, but you can certainly see why Kenner quickly revamped it to add the open belly feature, which really improved the play value. Of course as an 8 year-old boy back in 1980 however, to say I felt conned was an understatement! I'd bought the inferior version when there was a new and improved one to be had! :lol:

And of course, who could ever forget Kenner's brilliant contents description on the box, which promises the buyer 'One mammal'. That's not a purchase you'll make every day! :lol:

Anyway, here's my mammal:

One Mammal - 01.jpg

One Mammal - 02.jpg

One Mammal - 03.jpg

One Mammal - 05.jpg

One Mammal - 04.jpg

One Mammal - 06.jpg

One Mammal - 07.jpg

One Mammal - 08.jpg

One Mammal - 09.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Time for the open belly Tauntaun is it, Lars? OK then!

I remember buying a solid belly Tauntaun from Ware Toy Shop in Hertfordshire as a child, and then taking it home and excitedly opening it... to find that it didn't really do much! It didn't do as little as the Twin-Pod Cloud Car, but you can certainly see why Kenner quickly revamped it to add the open belly feature, which really improved the play value. Of course as an 8 year-old boy back in 1980 however, to say I felt conned was an understatement! I'd bought the inferior version when there was a new and improved one to be had! :lol:

And of course, who could ever forget Kenner's brilliant contents description on the box, which promises the buyer 'One mammal'. That's not a purchase you'll make every day! :lol:

Anyway, here's my mammal:

One Mammal - 01.jpg

One Mammal - 02.jpg

One Mammal - 03.jpg

One Mammal - 05.jpg

One Mammal - 04.jpg

One Mammal - 06.jpg

One Mammal - 07.jpg

One Mammal - 08.jpg

One Mammal - 09.jpg

Awesome story as always from your childhood, it sounds like you had a fantastic childhood with all this memories :D

Any idea why kenner did not make the open belly first ? :?

Thanks for sharing that very beautiful tauntaun complete with box, insert and instruction 8) I also love the palitoy logo :D

spoons

Grand Master
That's a beauty Jeremy!

I still need inserts for mine but they seem like hen's teeth

D44BD7CB-C995-4289-8763-60A8FC6C4C4A.jpeg

CB312310-F115-4F6A-B38B-FE85BBA9B704.jpeg

Attachments

• 334CCF9B-8113-4790-A4FE-4C8D6BCD5C3E.jpeg
    334CCF9B-8113-4790-A4FE-4C8D6BCD5C3E.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,177

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
spoons said:
Posted a pic of my closed belly by mistake and can't get rid of it :oops:
Oops! :lol: Mind you, it's a nice solid belly tauntaun anyway!

Thanks for the compliment on my open belly tauntaun, Andy. Your own tauntaun and box look pretty good too!

Thanks for sharing :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Awesome story as always from your childhood, it sounds like you had a fantastic childhood with all this memories :D

Thanks for sharing that very beautiful tauntaun complete with box, insert and instruction 8) I also love the palitoy logo :D
Thanks, Lars.

I don't know why Kenner didn't make the open belly version first. The cynic in me wonders whether it was a deliberate ploy to try to sell the same toy twice! Or maybe they simply didn't think about it? However, if I had to guess, I'd say that because the toys had to be designed well in advance of their release, maybe the Kenner designers were working off preliminary images and information, and simply didn't know how Han would save Luke's life using the tauntaun in the film, and hence didn't include an opening belly.

If anyone knows the actual answer, I'd love to hear it.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:
That's a beauty Jeremy!

I still need inserts for mine but they seem like hen's teeth

D44BD7CB-C995-4289-8763-60A8FC6C4C4A.jpeg
CB312310-F115-4F6A-B38B-FE85BBA9B704.jpeg

Andy that is a very beautiful palitoy box :D thanks for sharing it :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

Thanks, Lars.

I don't know why Kenner didn't make the open belly version first. The cynic in me wonders whether it was a deliberate ploy to try to sell the same toy twice! Or maybe they simply didn't think about it? However, if I had to guess, I'd say that because the toys had to be designed well in advance of their release, maybe the Kenner designers were working off preliminary images and information, and simply didn't know how Han would save Luke's life using the tauntaun in the film, and hence didn't include an opening belly.

If anyone knows the actual answer, I'd love to hear it.

You could be right about kenner did not know about it all, maybe lucas did not want to tell the toy makers everything about the movie :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Here are mine

my 2 palitoy boxes with 2 different danish BR price stickers :D The belt on the saddle is also different, one has a short strap, the other has the big strap.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
and here are my kenner box and a few loose :D
As usual Lars, you never fail to impress with your vast collection! That's a wonderful assortment of open belly tauntauns. The Danish price stickers on the Palitoy boxes are very interesting to see too. Can I assume Denmark did not have its own licensed boxes, like Palitoy in the UK, Meccano in France, etc.? Or did they have a mix of their own and foreign imports? It's something I feel I really ought to know already, so apologies for my ignorance! :oops:

Thanks as always for sharing your tremendous collection :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom