Newbie (re)collector question & 1st purchase

Paul1976

Padawan
Hi all,

Apart from saying hi, this is my first post. Like many I sold my SW stuff from childhood and now would like to collect things again, having just watched the original trilogy with the kids for the first time. I've been reading up, joined this forum and subscribed to SW tracker app. I'd like to start collecting loose figures again with weapons in decent condition I think for starters.

I've been rather put off by all these replica weapons, but decided to splash out a massive £1.20 on a Dengar figure with weapon. I had him back then, and he seems a cheap way of starting. I have tried to attach some pictures. I've looked at the Imperial Gunnery site, but got very confused! His weapon floats in water which I believe to be a test (definitely will not sink) but I could not match the shape and colour to any variant on the IG site. Could anyone help?

The figure itself has a few scratches on his chest and a little paint rubbing as I hope you can see. I see on SW trackers there is a grading by % and I have also seen reference to C8, C9 etc but no definition - again any help on this appreciated and what this one would be categorised best as?

Anyhow, thanks in advance. Oh heck, just checed eBay and I've one a squid head. This could get expensive...

PS how do you rotate attachments and get them in correct order? Sorry for all the dumb Qs.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,642
  • IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,646
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_1923.JPG
    IMG_1923.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,643

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Paul1976 said:
PS how do you rotate attachments and get them in correct order? Sorry for all the dumb Qs.

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately you can't rotate images on the website, you need to do it on your phone before uploading.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
To get pictures in the correct order your see a option to place in line.
If you have the cursor on the line where you want the picture then that's where the picture will be displayed.

Well done on the Dengar for £1.20, you can't go wrong with that can you!

And yes Star Wars collecting can be very addictive, they don't call it "plastic crack" for nothing! :lol:

Sorry I cannot help you with the weapon, :( but hopefully someone will be along that can.

stu70

Padawan
Welcome to the forum, the Dengar figure was a nice pick up at £1.20, the rifle looks to be a V1 Imperial Hoth rifle, with grading C9 is pretty much mint condition complete with original weapon, C8 may have a few small paint rubs, and obviously the lower the number the poorer the condition of the figure and accessories. Any sort of grading is a bit subjective, it's one persons opinion, I've seen figures on ebay listed as C9 when they have had multiple paint rubs or broken sabers. To me the most important thing is what the figure looks like rather than going by a grading scale to judge it's condition. Enjoy your collection :)

Paul1976

Padawan
Great, thanks everyone for the swift and helpful responses! Plenty to learn that's for sure but sounds like I'm up and running.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Well done Paul on the dengar, that's a real bargain. Sounds like the bug has started :lol:

Before you know it you will have parcels coming everyday :wink:

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Nice start Paul, £1.20 for any complete figure is brilliant - but don't expect that to be the norm it's all uphill from here!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes, welcome to the forum and great pick up with Dengar. Just beware the slippery collecting slope!... Before you know it, you'll be getting a display cabinet for your figures... then a loose ship or two... then your first MOC... then a few boxed items... then a few more MOCs... and then you'll wonder where all your money went! :lol:

Enjoy the ride, and remember collecting's a marathon not a sprint :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Congratulations on nice pick up for £1.20. Weapon looks original. If you take your time you'll find plenty more bargains on eBay. The worst thing that many newbies do is rush in and spend well above the average for items.

Also if a seller doesn't specify it, make sure you always ask if they know it's an original accessory. That way if they say it is and it turns out to be a reproduction you can return it under eBay's returns policy.

Have fun collecting again - it's a real buzz.

jared007

Padawan
Hi,

Paul1976 said:
I've been reading up, joined this forum and subscribed to SW tracker app. I'd like to start collecting loose figures again with weapons in decent condition I think for starters.

Welcome! You have some fun times ahead of you - lots to learn and (re)discover! Great to hear you discovered Star Wars Tracker. Hopefully it can help you get to grips with fair prices in short order. I run the app - always available if you want to ask questions about it, or anything about collecting in general.

Cheers, Jared.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Welcome to the forum, that's a cracking purchase for that price. :shock: And yes it will get expensive. :lol:

Paul1976

Padawan
Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to the VR guys for the mention on the latest podcast in the NA section on my Dengar pick up. Bit of a surpise to get a few nice words there from Rich and Stu, so thanks, this community seems very welcoming.

By way of an update, I've added a few bits to my tiny vintage collection so far. Trying to see how many figures I can pick up loose complete for £10 max (incl p&p) to keep sosts down but still have fun. So far as well as the Dengar I've picked up a weequay for 4.20 and the squidhead for 10 all in; 8D8 and weaponless klaatu were a couple of quid each in a job lot, and sure I can find klaatu his vibro weapon for not a lot.

Anyway, will move any NA to relevenat thread from now on (which I guess is correct place for this chatter) but this post was really a thanks from a new collector to SWFUK - been fun so far for me and the kids.

P

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,026

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Paul1976 said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to the VR guys for the mention on the latest podcast in the NA section on my Dengar pick up. Bit of a surpise to get a few nice words there from Rich and Stu, so thanks, this community seems very welcoming.

By way of an update, I've added a few bits to my tiny vintage collection so far. Trying to see how many figures I can pick up loose complete for £10 max (incl p&p) to keep sosts down but still have fun. So far as well as the Dengar I've picked up a weequay for 4.20 and the squidhead for 10 all in; 8D8 and weaponless klaatu were a couple of quid each in a job lot, and sure I can find klaatu his vibro weapon for not a lot.

Anyway, will move any NA to relevenat thread from now on (which I guess is correct place for this chatter) but this post was really a thanks from a new collector to SWFUK - been fun so far for me and the kids.

P

Nice one

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Hi Paul

If your looking for loose figs check out this thread all 100% legit weapons and great prices.

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38460

Hope this helps

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Welcome, Paul. That's a bargain in anyone's book, for even the weapon alone that's cheap. As others have said it will inevitably get more expensive from here. But the best advice I think is to take your time, become familiar with the figures and accessories and get involved with the community as there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on here. As for the figures themselves, I'd suggest starting with the more common and work your way up to the more valuable. Oh, and when it comes to your average complete, loose collection, don't believe the rarity hype. Yak Faces are not really that rare. Take your time and you will find everything you need over time.

Chris

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom