Imperial Commander Query

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this question, but as most collectors already know, every day's a school day in this hobby, so I could be wrong...

A couple of years ago, I picked up two Imperial Commander figures from different eBay sellers in quick succession. By some weird quirk of fate, both have blue and red rank insignias, and one even has blue eyes. I've never seen another example of either before or since, and much as I would love them to be bona fide variants, I have always assumed they were custom painted, but I would like to know for sure.

My question therefore is simply, has anyone else ever seen these 'variants' before, or do you agree with me that they are probably custom paint jobs?

Old Blue Eyes - 01.jpg

Old Blue Eyes - 02.jpg

Old Blue Eyes - 03.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
poncho said:
nice line up of commanders :)

the ones you highlighted are custom painted

So (along with mine), that's two votes for custom painted, and none for variants. Anyone else have an opinion?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I agree never seen it before and it looks repainted even the black eyes looks repained on one of the figures with blue rank :shock:

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
The third one from the end has the Cara Delevingne eye brow variation that the rare one :) but on a serious note none of mine have blue

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think it pretty much confirms what I thought and these are custom painted... which means they must finally be removed from display :-(

On the plus side, I gain two spare Imperial blasters, I suppose...

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think it pretty much confirms what I thought and these are custom painted... which means they must finally be removed from display :-(

Is it worth trying to remove the blue paint, or is it just not worth it?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Snaketibe said:

I am not sure but the red paint also looks fake on one of them, I am not sure with the other one with red paint :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:

Cool that you got 2 imperial blasters as a variant collector, you can always use weapons :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Snaketibe said:

It would be nice if I could, but I doubt I'd be able to remove the new paint without taking off the original as well :-(

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:

Cool that you got 2 imperial blasters as a variant collector, you can always use weapons :lol:
Very true! :D

jayums

Jedi Master
Perhaps done by an imperial army builder you might think... I don't think I would get rid of them - they are a collectors curio! Perhaps keep them and see if you can find some more quirky custom efforts to add to your focus?!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
jayums said:
Perhaps done by an imperial army builder you might think... I don't think I would get rid of them - they are a collectors curio! Perhaps keep them and see if you can find some more quirky custom efforts to add to your focus?!
Not a bad idea. I wasn't planning on selling or binning the figures, just removing them from my vintage display since they no longer fit in with their non-customized colleagues. However, a separate display of interesting / quirky custom figures is quite appealing, so I may do that.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom