THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 53 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Isengardfb.jpg

The Vintage Rebellion's 53rd episode lands with some disappointing news with regards to a member of the team. However, the other four crack on and smash out another show just in time before October ends.

David Phillips joins Stuart and Richard from New Zealand to discuss his work with WETA, his love of droids and a huge find in the wild amongst many other topics.

Rebel Briefings is packed to the hilt as Richard chats with Chris Fawcett about two fascinating topics, he is then joined by Robin Bocra to discuss the new Jordan Hembrough show where he visits and interviews Star Wars fans and collectors.

Newest Acquisitions is packed as always as the team look at an assortment of recent pick ups from Presto Magix Kits through to separation color sheets for Boba Fett MOC. The boys finish with a look at the Dagobah playset with help from The Vintage Rebellion Alliance.

Pete continues delving into Dagobah items as he takes a look at the oddball items associated with the swamp planet during Beyond the Newest Acquisitions.

As an added extra this month, Steve Savory serves up an Echo Live Special as he records with traders and guests from the recent show including Echo base founder Adam Pemberton.

All this plus an awful lot more on this months Vintage Rebellion.

Enjoy the Show!!!!!!

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
NOOOOOO!!!!! Gutted to see Simon leave the team :(

Another great podcast though lads, I really look forward to listening to them whilst I work.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Another cracker, guys. Sad to hear that Simon won't a regular anymore. Great interview with Dave! The shop in Farnham he mentions was called Childhood memories. I used to go there in the 90s too. Most of my loose collection back then came from there.

Chris

Taffius

Sith Lord
Two hours in during commute and some great stuff in there already.
Sad to hear news of Simon but good to hear he will back for special appearances.
Again, we have been exposed to how much time and effort these take so very grateful and thanks for the production of them.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks for a great episode. As always, your hard work has me hypnotized to it.

Pete, you don't have to imagine the VME is in the film just because the hydro-spanners are there...

250?cb=20130318211728.png

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
Making my way through the current episode and I've already experienced not one but two deals that have gone south (admittedly, one is very historical)! The sheer gall of the shitbag listing misleading sales is unbelievable. I doubt very much he'd get away with it now thankfully.

I'm currently listening to the fantastic David Phillips, I love behind the scenes stuff. Can't wait to hear more.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
About half way through now, enjoying it so far. Sorry to hear Si is stepping back, I didn't realise he had become a full-time Drew Pritchard, I must admit I am slightly jealous! I would love to do that one day.

Interesting conversation around negativity in the hobby at the moment. A few months ago not only did I leave most Facebook groups, I also unfollowed nearly all the groups I didn't leave so my news feed is now 90% free of Star Wars. It has been quite liberating, I too was getting sick of all the repetition and drama, especially as by my own admission I am a sucker for getting dragged in to arguments. I'm sure it has resulted in missing some deals, but thankfully people are tagging me in things they think I might be interested in, so thanks guys.

It is a shame that negativity due to scammers etc is spoiling the hobby for some people, but as I said in another post recently if nobody calls these people out they will simply get away with it, and I can't stand by and watch that happen to a hobby I've been involved in for nearly 25 years. If it gets me labelled as a keyboard warrior then so be it, I'd rather that than turn a blind eye.

One thing I think is really important is to have other interests. I have three main hobbies, and alternating between them gives me a break and stops me from burning out on one. I often see people on Facebook who from their profiles seem to be so obsessed with Star Wars that no wonder they find it overwhelming and take it so seriously.

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
edd_jedi said:
One thing I think is really important is to have other interests. I have three main hobbies, and alternating between them gives me a break and stops me from burning out on one. I often see people on Facebook who from their profiles seem to be so obsessed with Star Wars that no wonder they find it overwhelming and take it so seriously.
Good point Edd, same here for me. One should not take it too serious, but take it as what it is: a hobby - used to escape for a few minutes from every day problems ... not to cause new ones. I've been in again since 1994 and saw a lot of fans and collectors come and go. Those who stayed in the hobby over decades, mostly have a life beneath Star Wars. If collecting becomes your "job", then I think the game is over. I always had some breaks for several months or needed to readjust the focus, just to keep the fun for the hobby alive.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Plastikheld said:
edd_jedi said:
Good point Edd, same here for me. One should not take it too serious, but take it as what it is: a hobby - used to escape for a few minutes from every day problems ... not to cause new ones. I've been in again since 1994 and saw a lot of fans and collectors come and go. Those who stayed in the hobby over decades, mostly have a life beneath Star Wars. If collecting becomes your "job", then I think the game is over. I always had some breaks for several months or needed to readjust the focus, just to keep the fun for the hobby alive.

Agreed! I took a long break from about 2005 to 2016 and it has been fairly full tilt until recently. I've had plenty of other things going on including lots of house renovation of late. For me I think the hobby is at it's best when it's a healthy distraction from all the stresses of life, not becoming a stress in itself. It's also true that too much of a good thing is bad. You'll easily burn out if your hobby is your focus in life.

Chris

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Can't believe you hadn't heard of the Disney Classic Condorman featuring Michael Crawford, Stu. :lol: it was a firm favourite growing up, but admit it doesn't hold up all that well, though the Prognoviach Chase was stylish and Natalia "the bear" is still hot :wink:

Attachments

• 7E270978-4479-46EE-857B-30D452E2F754.jpeg
    7E270978-4479-46EE-857B-30D452E2F754.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,684
  • 69D1A8D1-D4D9-4D0D-859D-E4C43889F0EF.jpeg
    69D1A8D1-D4D9-4D0D-859D-E4C43889F0EF.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,684

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
It is a shame that negativity due to scammers etc is spoiling the hobby for some people, but as I said in another post recently if nobody calls these people out they will simply get away with it, and I can't stand by and watch that happen to a hobby I've been involved in for nearly 25 years. If it gets me labelled as a keyboard warrior then so be it, I'd rather that than turn a blind eye.

I certainly wouldn't refer to you as a keyboard warrior mate. My comments around negativity aren't about things like baggiegate, these things should be bought to the attention and disclosed as to what they are etc, totally agree. When I talk about scammers, I'm more referring to Facebook which has members of groups calling people out nearly daily, there is so many trolls and dick heads across social media. Sick of the keyboard warriors who are all billy big balls in front of a screen. I mean since the show was recorded we've had that twat comment on Jez's thread about not being blown up, I was ****ing raging, Mark Daniels removed the comment and banned him from Beyond the Toys, I sent him a message, which he responded to with the word prick and blocked me, sadly he is on many facebook groups being a general arse, I'd like nothing more than to put the base of my foot across his face.

I find there is definitely more negativity across the hobby than before facebook, I know we need to embrace change but it is draining, facebook groups slagging each other off is another irritant of mine, we all love Star Wars, let's celebrate it, discuss the positives rather than being arseholes and trying to get one over on each other or just putting people down.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Just finished, really enjoyed the David Phillips interview, sounds like a top bloke. I don't remember seeing him in any groups or forums though, and I noticed he only has one mutual friend on Facebook (Grant.) Is he one of these 'blackhole' collectors?

spoons

Grand Master
TheJabbaWookie said:
Best line ever... "I remember shoving a weapon in her back at some stage". Made me choke on my toast Pete :lol:

made me laugh out loud too! I agree with Jez that it was a very double entre filled episode :lol:

also agree with Edd, David sounded like a great guy and a very interesting interview.

sorry that Si is off - a big hole to fill (as Pete might say) :lol:

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I've not seen him across groups either to be honest, he approached us about doing an interview, put onto the podcast by Lee Harris, so perhaps doesn't involve himself too much across social media.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
That's great, it's nice to hear from somebody that isn't part of the community we all know. It's easy to forget Star Wars is much bigger than the circles we associate with.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Really enjoyable show as usual guys :D

Am also v sorry to see Simon go, will miss what u bring to the show mate :( I hope u will indeed come on the show as often as poss! Defo admire u having the balls to go out and purely buy and sell :!: I hope it proves to be one of ur best decisions :)

Wasn't good to hear of the John Paul deal going bad :!:
The Dark Side...."quicker, easier, more suductive!" :?

Great info from Chris and segment on the Dagobah playset 8) Never knew about the face thing! I too agree with Rich and the guys about making a rare exception for the allowance of repro foam. The original stuff most of the time has long since decayed :!: Also Rich ur right about the cylinder R2 adapter being the accessory that is always missing in a typical used example:!:
As many of u know I go for sealed/unused playsets and was fortunate to get an unused Palitoy Dagobah playset years ago. Luckily the original foam has more or less remained untouched and intact 8) 8)
E5B1D44B-0042-4233-B4B1-7B9686492E7F.jpeg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Oh yes I forgot to mention the Dagobah discussion - I had no idea there were multiple releases of it with different accessories and box designs, even if minor.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
From my experience the 2nd/3rd issue Kenner example with the Jedi training back pack seems to turns up less often than the 1st issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom