Dose anyone remember a vintage figure shop in Coventry?

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Remember visiting it years ago was next to my late Aunts shop that sold ladies clothing etc. Was close to Woolworths. Wish I could remember the name. Guessing its not there anymore but had some fond memories.

lejackal

Grand Master
StarWarsFan said:
Remember visiting it years ago was next to my late Aunts shop that sold ladies clothing etc. Was close to Woolworths. Wish I could remember the name. Guessing its not there anymore but had some fond memories.
I've lived here since 1987 and don't remember one. Which Woolworths was it next to?

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
lejackal said:
StarWarsFan said:
I've lived here since 1987 and don't remember one. Which Woolworths was it next to?

It was on Ball Hill, my Aunts shop was called Valentines and was also close to the electrical shop JDE Electrics that was my uncles.

Vialli

Padawan
Hi StarWarsFan, what years do you think this would have been ? I remember the Woolworths (Walsgrave road, Ball Hill) but not the toy shop. I used to buy all my figures from shops in the town centre so never ventured up that way in the eighties but there was a shop that opened in Ball Hill in the mid nineties that sold loads of vintage/new toy lines including boat loads of Star Wars, I used to visit regularly because at the time I was buying the POTF2 range and it was the only place I could get all the latest releases other than the internet or toy fairs.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Vialli said:
Hi StarWarsFan, what years do you think this would have been ? I remember the Woolworths (Walsgrave road, Ball Hill) but not the toy shop. I used to buy all my figures from shops in the town centre so never ventured up that way in the eighties but there was a shop that opened in Ball Hill in the mid nineties that sold loads of vintage/new toy lines including boat loads of Star Wars, I used to visit regularly because at the time I was buying the POTF2 range and it was the only place I could get all the latest releases other than the internet or toy fairs.

Hi mate it was the nineties yes sounds like the same shop thinking about it Woolworths was further down then I first though. Can you remember what it was called and what happened to it? Cheers.

Vialli

Padawan
Mate I've been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called, I've trawled the internet as well with no joy. I don't think the shop was running for too many years, I'd hazard a guess at 3 maybe 4 ? If I can find out the name of it I'll be sure to let you know, you're right though it was a brilliant little treasure trove.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Vialli said:
Mate I've been racking my brains trying to remember what it was called, I've trawled the internet as well with no joy. I don't think the shop was running for too many years, I'd hazard a guess at 3 maybe 4 ? If I can find out the name of it I'll be sure to let you know, you're right though it was a brilliant little treasure trove.

Hi mate, thanks for trying shame its not still there or more shops like that :( the good old days. Thanks again.

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
StarWarsFan said:

The ones I remember are Goldie toys (in Intershop in the Centre) & Zodiac Toys

I'll have a look at my childhood cardbacks to see if there are any other names on stickers.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/margarets-35-years-putting-smiles-3107950

Vialli

Padawan
paulcalf said:
StarWarsFan said:

I'll have a look at my childhood cardbacks to see if there are any other names on stickers.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/margarets-35-years-putting-smiles-3107950
Paul, do you not remember Barnbys ? Possibly the greatest toy shop of all time !

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
paulcalf said:
StarWarsFan said:

Thanks mate.

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Vialli said:
paulcalf said:
StarWarsFan said:

Paul, do you not remember Barnbys ? Possibly the greatest toy shop of all time !

It does ring a bell, but my favourite was Goldie. I wish i had some photos of that place.

Going into town on a Saturday and seeing what new star wars figures they had was amazing!

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I remember Barnaby's or Barnby's.

The price tag was on the box of one of my Cherilea Action Man boxes before I sold it.

We lived in Rugby and my mum would take me to Cov sometimes.

I remember mum buying me the Batman with magnets on his hands and feet.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Carl (lejackal) put me into this thread. For you Coventry guys here's something I only discovered today on a Palitoy poster I've owned for over 25 years:

7C15EFB8-C5AA-42F5-9AEA-7994AE7E4E24.png

BB3D0C5F-9082-40ED-8039-058572351C78.png

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Wow that is amazing.

My childhood toy shop, so many happy hours spent there.

That specific shop opened in 1982 - so help dates your actual poster.

I've still got some of my childhood cardbacks with the pink Goldie price sticker, but that poster is something else

Please let me know if anyone ever comes across one of these for sale or anything else Goldie related.

Thanks for sharing

ScruffyLookingNH said:
Carl (lejackal) put me into this thread. For you Coventry guys here's something I only discovered today on a Palitoy poster I've owned for over 25 years:

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
As it's a Coventry thread here is some information I have just discovered

Star Wars was first shown in Coventry on Sunday 9th April 1978 - Theatre One Cinema

Vialli

Padawan
That's a great poster Scruffy, it was a great little shop, bought many figures from there. In actual fact it was from Goldie that I purchased my last ever vintage figure back in the day, a Luke Skywalker stormtrooper disguise for the obligatory £1.59. I remember seeing Amanaman and Yak face at the same time and thinking they weren't in the films so I passed on them even though they looked cool. Some great links there as well Paul, happy days. :D

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
paulcalf said:
As it's a Coventry thread here is some information I have just discovered

Star Wars was first shown in Coventry on Sunday 9th April 1978 - Theatre One Cinema

Thanks for sharing

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Nice one :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom