Card back rarity.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
A post by Spoons in "toy of the week" got me thinking.
He has posted his Cloud Car Pilot MOC and mentions that it's a 79 back and difficult to find.
Is there a matrix anywhere that lists figure and cardback combinations and their rarity?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Something like that would be great. Not got much of an idea about how common/rare most of my cards are. Could be sitting on a goldmine!

TK-7785

Jedi Master
This kind of relates to what I said in the feedback for the last podcast with the discussion about new cardback discoveries and the hunt for other yet undiscovered cardbacks. I'm sure there are a lot of rare cardbacks in people's collections they don't realise are rare.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
A list or a guide would be fantastic, maybe some on the forum would start one, that one or many other members can work on together on the forum :D

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cazza said:
Something like that would be great. Not got much of an idea about how common/rare most of my cards are. Could be sitting on a goldmine!
Exactly, I've no idea whether a 77 back "what ever" is rarer than a 65 back, but some members seem to.
I've no idea who would be able to do this, as I would expect it would be a lot if work!
Anyone want to volunteer....

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Cazza said:
Exactly, I've no idea whether a 77 back "what ever" is rarer than a 65 back, but some members seem to.
I've no idea who would be able to do this, as I would expect it would be a lot if work!
Anyone want to volunteer....

I am to busy with Star Wars Toy of the Week and preparing vehicle of the year thread.

But if I can help with some pictures or info then I would like to help. If we can get anyone to start, how should they start. With one character at the time and try to find all the cardbacks he or she was sold on or should they start with all the 12 backs :?

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I would have thought that down the side are all the figures by release and across the top the card back numbers.
You would have to compile a list for Kenner and one for Palitoy.
Then use colours to represent rarity, i.e. green = easy to pick up, yellow = average, red = hard and purple = difficult.
Just some thoughts...

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
I would have thought that down the side are all the figures by release and across the top the card back numbers.
Then use colours to represent rarity, i.e. green = easy to pick up, yellow = average, red = hard and purple = difficult.
Just some thoughts...

sounds like a great idea :wink:

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Kellerman did something similar in his book, needed updating as soon as printed though but at least gave the known examples of not relative rarity.

spoons

Grand Master
aussiejames said:
https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=958884

Beat me too it - that thread is how I know the 79 back CCP is rare, but otherwise if it is missing from Kellerman's matrix then there is a good chance its a hard to find card.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Just some thoughts...
Sounds like you've got this sorted, Nick ;)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cazza said:
Mini99 said:
Just some thoughts...
Yeh... I was starting feel that was coming... :roll:
I'll see what I can come up with, BUT and this is a big BUT, I will not be able to fill in the rarity, as this was the point of my initial post, I don't just don't know.
If get the matrix up, how/who is knowledgeable enough to fill it in?

Taffius

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Just some thoughts...

Mini99 - i know sweet FA about rarity but can help sort any data out on threads and provide population and amend data if any assistance is required?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mini99 said:
Cazza said:
Mini99 said:
Just some thoughts...
Yeh... I was starting feel that was coming... :roll:
I'll see what I can come up with, BUT and this is a big BUT, I will not be able to fill in the rarity, as this was the point of my initial post, I don't just don't know.
If get the matrix up, how/who is knowledgeable enough to fill it in?

Maybe you should make room for updates, I am sure new rare cards will be discovered. I am sure jason is one of the knowledgeable enough and I am sure if some do not agree about how rare the card is then some will let you know :D Will you do all cardbacks ? also from different factories with different stickers ? I also think Joe can help with tri-logo cardbacks, about what is rare and not rare. I know the madine tri-logo is ****ing rare, I miss it :lol:

We can also do a count on the forum, you can make a thread and ask about how many have this cardback and this cardbacks and then count them. Then it can maybe give an idea about how rare the cardback is :?

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Assuming that you're referring to mocs and not just a cardback on its own (although I imagine availability will be broadly similar), there are 2 ways of classifying rarity; one is how many were produced back in the day and the other is how regularly an item is available to buy in recent times. Seeing as the first is impossible to answer since we don't know how many card backs were produced, I assume we're looking at how easy is it to pick one of these up now. On that basis why don't you just tie it in to Jared's Star Wars tracker tool (with his permission of course) to create a matrix to demonstrate how many of whatever cardback sold over 'x' period of time? He's already done all of the hard work and at least it's actually evidence based instead of an educated estimate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom