Restoration advice

MightyMike

Padawan
I'm looking for a advice, first hopefully is an easy one. What replacement foam do you use on the Chewbacca bandolier?

Secondly I've a surplus end cap for a Y-Wing that he previous owner saw fit to try to 'enhance'. It looks like a white gloss paint, black matte and some glue. None of it comes off by scratching with a finger nail and I've not tried anything else. I thought as it was surplus it could be a good test bed to try and recover for future reference (if anyone wants it after my messing give me a shout)

IMG_5420.JPG
IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5419.JPG

poncho

Grand Master
engine part just scrub it with hot soapy water

ive had tried make up remover and turpentine in the past and ive coroded/melted the plastic. so dont do that

hot soapy water and and gently scrape it away

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
You would have to customise foam for the Bandolier. Check out Toy Polio on Youtube. Perhaps send him a message as he navigates these type of things.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Depending on the type of plastic, turps might not melt it (I know it doesn't melt vinyl.) Nail vanish remover will not be any good.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Deffo hot soapy water, will loosen the paint a treat, try a cotton bud in the hard to reach places to tease the paint out.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Avoid using anything abrasive. You'll only end up damaging the plastic. Soak it in methylated spirits for 5 mins. This will soften is sufficiently to enable you to pick off the paint with a plastic implement.

Chris

Taffius

Sith Lord
Anyone suggested Iso-propanol Alcohol (IPA)? Cleaning solvent that evapourates quickly, seems less harse than turps/white spirit.

Disclaimer - Never tried any of the above on anything SW related but just trying to be helpful as I used to clean electronic components and equipment with it.

MightyMike

Padawan
Thanks for the help - will try some of it and let you know how it goes (and I won't hold anyone responsible if it does go horribly wrong)

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Dunk it in brake fluid.
The cheapo Halfords Dot 4 stuff is fine.
Great at removing enamel paint etc.

Tried it on a Farmboy Luke that had been 'customised' and removed the paint without affecting the original paint ops underneath.

Worth a go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom