Header image

Toy of the year ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Toy of the year ?

Postby Mini99 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:17 am

Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:I agree, I think it's a terrific idea! I always enjoy the figure of the year poll, so this is like making it 3 times bigger and better :-D

I seem to recall it also being mentioned at one point that having a cardback of the year poll might be interesting (I assume they meant favourite card front image, although we could also vote on our favourite backs of the cards as well). If one of those was to happen, I'd certainly take part.

Hi, should I split up the palitoy from the kenner items ? I was thinking the landspeeder ? and is there other vehicles that are different ?

As Steve says, keep it simple!

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 am

SAVORY100 wrote:I wouldn't split them Lars, I know the box art is different (and a handful have other differences...) but outside of the Death Star the differences are not intrinsic enough to consider them as different play-sets IMO. Stu doesn't do big head Han and Small Head Han, he does Han Solo the same with the much cooler DBRS compared to the normal Rebel Soldier.

If others disagree I'm actually happy either way and will still play along, I do however agree with Nick (Mini99) that if you pursue this, like the figure one it needs to be simple and easy without lots of different surveys each week or month.. just one 10 day hit once a year. I hope you push on with it Lars and make it happen!

Sounds like a good idea, I will also remove the glasslite vehicles :D

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 am

Mini99 wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:I agree, I think it's a terrific idea! I always enjoy the figure of the year poll, so this is like making it 3 times bigger and better :-D

I seem to recall it also being mentioned at one point that having a cardback of the year poll might be interesting (I assume they meant favourite card front image, although we could also vote on our favourite backs of the cards as well). If one of those was to happen, I'd certainly take part.

Hi, should I split up the palitoy from the kenner items ? I was thinking the landspeeder ? and is there other vehicles that are different ?

As Steve says, keep it simple!

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:06 pm

I will remove

Glasslite Tie Fighter
Glasslite Tie Interceptor
Imperial Cruiser

and the battle damaged vehicles, I hope it is ok :?

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Maybe take the Rebel Transport off the list, no one will vote for it anyway :lol:

Great idea for a poll. Looking forward to it.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Darth Bobby wrote:Maybe take the Rebel Transport off the list, no one will vote for it anyway :lol:

:lol:

AndyPreston
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyPreston » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:11 pm

In my opinion, keep it simple yes, but the Palitoy Death Star needs to be in the playsets list alongside the Kenner one, it's a great contender for top spot.
Looking for Leia Hoth on any Palitoy ESB card. Damaged card, cut bubble or reseall would be OK.
Also any non-toy vintage British items esp. store displays, advertising & promotional items, and cast & crew or prop items.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:38 pm

AndyPreston wrote:In my opinion, keep it simple yes, but the Palitoy Death Star needs to be in the playsets list alongside the Kenner one, it's a great contender for top spot.

Thanks, I will 100% do both death stars :D

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:Maybe take the Rebel Transport off the list, no one will vote for it anyway :lol:

:lol:

I’m sure Jez will...

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:

It's up to you Lars, and everyone will have their own opinion. Mine is that for the vehicles, the Palitoy and Kenner variants of the Landspeeder, X-Wing and BD X-Wing genuinely are similar enough not to warrant separating them. The Imperial Cruiser and Imperial Troop Transporter however are very different (if perhaps rather dull in my opinion) variants on a theme, and probably should be separated, as they really aren't the same toy at all. The Glasslite TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor are probably also different enough to just about warrant separate entries, but I'm also far from convinced that enough people care about those differences to complain if you don't separate them (perhaps if one of those ships were to win, you could then run a final extra poll between the two versions to see which one is the ultimate winner?).

However, for the playset poll, I would always separate the Palitoy and the Kenner versions of the Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory. The two Cantinas and two Land of the Jawas playsets literally share zero parts in common. A superficial look at them makes you think they are pretty much the same, but they simply aren't; I repeat, they share no parts in common with one another at all.

It's true that for the two Droid Factories, the actual droid parts and pieces are indeed identical across the Palitoy and Kenner versions, however the stickers (and hence also the 3-legged R2-D2 - the thing most people seem to want from the set), the bases, as well as the boxes, are completely different, so separating them can be justified.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 pm

I think this is a great idea. I really enjoy the forum figure of the year and I would love the card art variation on the theme too. If you’re going to do this Lars, and I hope you do, i would suggest doing the toy one now or in the summer and not to close to Stu’s as it will dilute the popularity of both.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:34 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I think this is a great idea. I really enjoy the forum figure of the year and I would love the card art variation on the theme too. If you’re going to do this Lars, and I hope you do, i would suggest doing the toy one now or in the summer and not to close to Stu’s as it will dilute the popularity of both.

Thanks I hope that I will start with it next week, I think stuart will first do his in 2019 :D

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

It's up to you Lars, and everyone will have their own opinion. Mine is that for the vehicles, the Palitoy and Kenner variants of the Landspeeder, X-Wing and BD X-Wing genuinely are similar enough not to warrant separating them. The Imperial Cruiser and Imperial Troop Transporter however are very different (if perhaps rather dull in my opinion) variants on a theme, and probably should be separated, as they really aren't the same toy at all. The Glasslite TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor are probably also different enough to just about warrant separate entries, but I'm also far from convinced that enough people care about those differences to complain if you don't separate them (perhaps if one of those ships were to win, you could then run a final extra poll between the two versions to see which one is the ultimate winner?).

However, for the playset poll, I would always separate the Palitoy and the Kenner versions of the Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory. The two Cantinas and two Land of the Jawas playsets literally share zero parts in common. A superficial look at them makes you think they are pretty much the same, but they simply aren't; I repeat, they share no parts in common with one another at all.

It's true that for the two Droid Factories, the actual droid parts and pieces are indeed identical across the Palitoy and Kenner versions, however the stickers (and hence also the 3-legged R2-D2 - the thing most people seem to want from the set), the bases, as well as the boxes, are completely different, so separating them can be justified.

Thanks mate for the advice, I am thinking and working on it at the moment :D

Stuart Skinner
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Stuart Skinner » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Great shout mate, I get people asking to do one every year when the forum figure finishes and always say yes but never get round to it as the figure one takes some time. So for you to do it would be a great shout, will definitely support and I'm sure you'll get a good turnout across the forum. I always start forum figure on 1st January if you're looking to avoid dates.

As for cardbacks it's another minefield with foreign cardbacks, image changes etc. I wouldn't get involved in that but knock yourself out if you fancy it. :lol:

If you need anything just ask buddy. Only takes me several weeks to notice I have unread pms on here x x
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/star-wars-vintage-rebellion/id1001257470?mt=2

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Stuart Skinner wrote:Great shout mate, I get people asking to do one every year when the forum figure finishes and always say yes but never get round to it as the figure one takes some time. So for you to do it would be a great shout, will definitely support and I'm sure you'll get a good turnout across the forum. I always start forum figure on 1st January if you're looking to avoid dates.

As for cardbacks it's another minefield with foreign cardbacks, image changes etc. I wouldn't get involved in that but knock yourself out if you fancy it. :lol:

If you need anything just ask buddy. Only takes me several weeks to notice I have unread pms on here x x

Thanks stuart, I will first do the vehicle and if people like it then I will do the playset. I am not sure about cardbacks, I think it will be a huge job :?

and I can't wait for the next vote in january 2019, thanks for doing the figures :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”