4-LOM Mailer Baggie

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Just want to say from the outset that I find the opening of sealed items a real travesty, but when I was going through my mailers I found my 4-LOM mailer box tape had gone crispier than a packet of Walkers and is now loose. So I took a peak inside and thought I might as well get a nice GW Acrylic case to display him in now.

4-lom_01.jpg

4-lom_02.jpg

But here's my question. Most of the 4-LOM baggies I've seen are not of this type; soft heat sealed. Any baggie experts care to enlighten me as to what type this is...Kenner, Palitoy??

Cheers
Chris

Taffius

Sith Lord
TK-7785 said:
Just want to say from the outset that I find the opening of sealed items a real travesty, but when I was going through my mailers I found my 4-LOM mailer box tape had gone crispier than a packet of Walkers and is now loose. So I took a peak inside and thought I might as well get a nice GW Acrylic case to display him in now.

Cheers
Chris

Chris,
Are you still displaying him in his box in a case or side by side and seperate? Curious on thoughts with this as is he still a mailer or deemed not if tape has failed?

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Taffius said:
TK-7785 said:

Cheers
Chris

Chris,
Are you still displaying him in his box in a case or side by side and seperate? Curious on thoughts with this as is he still a mailer or deemed not if tape has failed?

I'd planned a mailer display type where he's side by side with the mailer box and leaflet. He'd still be a mailer 4-LOM if the box has been opened, just not MISB example.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Hmmm, well you know who was selling loads of these that had the ESB-h's in?? can't say they are wrong, but I now have to regard them as questionable due to the source :|

Was hoping you'd say you've had it 15 years to change my mind

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Hmmm. So you suspect this baggie is fake, or the combination is wrong? The mailer was completely sealed with original yellowed tape when I got it. The way it has gone crispy it's definitely very old tape.

momike

Jedi Master
Never seen that combo in all my years collecting mailers....strange :?:

Frunkstar

Grand Master
TK-7785 said:
Hmmm. So you suspect this baggie is fake, or the combination is wrong? The mailer was completely sealed with original yellowed tape when I got it. The way it has gone crispy it's definitely very old tape.

Well I know loads were being sold by Jeff so I can only say I am on the fence when it comes to their authenticity,they could well be 100% legit, though they could also be wrong, not very committal I know, but it's what I got.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Thanks, guys.

So the implication here is that this might be a Jeff Special? Let's suppose it is for a moment. What mystifies me about it having been possibly put together is the fully sealed nature of the box. Now I know sealed doesn't guarantee anything in this day an age. Thing can be resealed with new tape or even old tape with carefully applied new adhesive, but the nature of the tape on this particular box is very dry and crispy and shows no evidence to me of having been tapered with. The way the tape lines up perfectly (including under magnification) with the staining on the box and there is absolutely no tackiness to the tape or box. I also paid around £35 for it, which even if it were an empty box, flyer and a minty 4-LOM not in a baggie that wouldn't be a bad price.

All that said I'd like to get to the bottom of this one. It certainly doesn't owe me much, so I'm not gonna be in denial if it's fake. It'll be a lesson learned if it is suspicious.

To summarise then, are you saying this is a legit baggie type but not one ever recorded as being in a mailer? Or is this a known faked baggie? If so are there any tell tales I can look for?

Cheers
Chris

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Frunkstar said:
TK-7785 said:

Well I know loads were being sold by Jeff so I can only say I am on the fence when it comes to their authenticity,they could well be 100% legit, though they could also be wrong, not very committal I know, but it's what I got.

Thanks, Frank. I just left the above reply just as you must have typed yours.

Chris

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Hey Chad

Right I don't have it shown on my guide as from what I know to date it has never been found in this baggie with any other confirmed multi pack or overstock.

Funny thing is this is the only item I ever got off Jeff FOC, he sent me one to look at as this issue with the ESB-h baggie has reared it's head after someone bought one from him on ebay sealed & inquired about the baggie being ESB-h, same question you are asking in a nutshell.

I Told him I was not aware of it being known & he sent me one to check, I also could not find anything in terms of red flags with the seals or the box so I sent it to UKG for inspection & if correct grading, they ok'd it & I have it here graded, so the graders well UKG at least feel it is right, I have no idea what the other grading companies of CIB etc would make of it, I asked that the tape be inspected closely BTW.

Even after this I am very undecided about their authenticity, call it a hunch, nothing I can put my finger on 100% but I have a few other baggies (ESB-h) here still that I got off Jeff over the years, a couple of them are figures I have not seen before or since in this bag type, so I am now quite tempted to try & get very high magnification photos done of the heat seals, maybe me being paranoid I hear many thinking reading this, but hey the whole affairs left me questioning things a lot more, they say a little paranoia can be healthy :lol:

Here is a pic I was emailed of one of the batches he had, I know he bought a great many more, though I can not say how many contained the ESB-h baggies, there are other items in the pic that are in question also -

unnamed (10).jpg

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Thanks, Frank, that really helps put things in perspective. I totally understand your caution here given the history with Jeff, I would be the same. Once bitten, twice shy!

If we look at this from a perspective ignoring the Jeff element for a moment however, it wouldn't be outside the realms of plausibility that at some point the 4-LOM mailers switched baggie type. Perhaps towards the end or even after demand for the mail aways had past. Leaving an unused overstock of the mailers, some in the ESB-h baggie. That said, why are all these coming through Jeff alone. Or maybe there is more overstock out there yet to be discovered.

Further investigation is definitely needed, even with a little paranoia thrown in. :wink: I understand the fact that the, so far, only origin of these has been Jeff, but I wouldn't want to throw out the baby with the bath water...yet. I'd be interested to know how the heat seals and baggies in general compare to other known legit versions under magnification. I'm going to go find some high magnification equipment on ebay now. :lol:

Cheers
Chris

Frunkstar

Grand Master
It is possible, I asked someone stateside yesterday their thoughts, someone with weight & a lot of experience & his initial quick assessment was correct box, but fake baggie, it then came to my mind about the overstock palitoy find in Australia, there were a great many mint loose 4 lom's in that find from memory, though I think without weapons, that could be an option of where the figures came from, but if that were the case where do you locate loads of boxes?

& here's what I bought a while back -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30X-Magnifying-Loupe-Jewelry-Jewelers-Pocket-Magnifier-Loop-Eye-Watch-Repair/302778907040?epid=8020664905&hash=item467f0779a0:g:HbAAAOSwlo9bK0C4

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Frunkstar said:
It is possible, I asked someone stateside yesterday their thoughts, someone with weight & a lot of experience & his initial quick assessment was correct box, but fake baggie, it then came to my mind about the overstock palitoy find in Australia, there were a great many mint loose 4 lom's in that find from memory, though I think without weapons, that could be an option of where the figures came from, but if that were the case where do you locate loads of boxes?

& here's what I bought a while back -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30X-Magnifying-Loupe-Jewelry-Jewelers-Pocket-Magnifier-Loop-Eye-Watch-Repair/302778907040?epid=8020664905&hash=item467f0779a0:g:HbAAAOSwlo9bK0C4

Did your American contact give any explanation for the reasons he felt the baggie was fake; unusual heat seal, different plastic...? Again, I'd be wary of writing something off if only because it's a thus far undiscovered combination.

True. Where would someone also find a huge stack of minty boxes and Empire catalogues. That's not an impossible scenario for sure, just look at the Toni fiasco with regard to accumulating original component parts. If I remember rightly the give away with his creations was the seal of the bubble, ie home made and not resembling the factory equivalent. So I'd expect any damning proof with these to centre around the box tape and/or baggie seal.

I think you're right to keep a tag of suspicion on this one for now. For me, given what relatively little it owes me I'm going to hang onto mine and see if more light is shed on these in the future. If I'd have bought this as an unsealed item and had been able to look at the contents I would have probably passed it by.

Chris

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
Looks wrong to me mate - I've never seen that baggie type for this mailer

£35 is alarmingly cheap also. Most recent one I sold, about a month ago, went for £85 with lots of interest.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
momike said:
Where did the mailer originate from?

There's a cookie in it if you can guess? :wink: I picked it up at FF at the beginning of the year. When I bought it I didn't know the trader was the infamous Jeff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom