What could Kenner have done better ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
We have talked about it before, why did kenner not produce that figure and that figure and why was the weapon the wrong colour etc. etc. Let us do it again :lol:

Any idea about why kenner first made the Y-Wing Fighter for ROTJ and not SW ? :?

Why did we not make any Y-Wing pilot ?

Why did they make the Tie Fighter in the 70s and first the pilot in ESB ? :?

The Imperial officer why first make him in ESB, should he have been made for SW ? :?

What could kenner have done better and what was you missing ?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Making Grand Moff Tarkin instead of the Death Squad Commander! As a child playing with my figures, I always had to pretend the boring DSC was the far more interesting (and evil!) GMT!

Also, when Kenner scrapped the frankly terrible double-telescoping lightsabers which broke if you so much as looked at them, they definitely should have redesigned the sabers to be one thickness along their entire length, rather than keeping a thinner tip which was only fractionally strongly (it didn't break until you looked at it twice ;-)).

I could go on and on and on with this thread, Lars!... But I'll stop here and let others have a go :-D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Making Grand Moff Tarkin instead of the Death Squad Commander! As a child playing with my figures, I always had to pretend the boring DSC was the far more interesting (and evil!) GMT!

Also, when Kenner scrapped the frankly terrible double-telescoping lightsabers which broke if you so much as looked at them, they definitely should have redesigned the sabers to be one thickness along their entire length, rather than keeping a thinner tip which was only fractionally strongly (it didn't break until you looked at it twice ;-)).

I could go on and on and on with this thread, Lars!... But I'll stop here and let others have a go :-D

I agree, they should have made tarkin, but as understand it, they also wanted to make him, but peter cushing did not want to be made as an action figure :?

I liked the Death Squad Commander, but I always thought the uniform had the wrong colour, I think it should have been black like in the movie :?

About the sabers, I agree all my sabers broke when I was a kid and they should have made them better. I did not know the double-telescoping lightsabers was worse, but then again I have never had one :shock: The funny thing is when I find the sabers in childhood lots then most of the time kenobi sabers is not always broken like vaders and luke sabers. Could the plastic be better on kenobi sabers or did kids more like to fight with vader and luke, than kenobi ? :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Survival kit Chris said:
Y wing pilots uniform was the same as the x wing .

But in ROTJ they changed the Y-Wing pilot uniforms :?

latest?cb=20120113223351.jpg

reddogblues

Padawan
I am still baffled to this day why they never made the Rebel Fleet Trooper. Surely kids would have wanted to re-enact the opening scene from ANH and they would have sold multiple units for "troop building".

They could also have then added a Tantive playset - with corridor for shoot-outs, the escape pod, Darth strangling scene, Leia getting stunned etc.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
This old chestnut eh, great subject matter though Lars

1st for me has to be the switch from the pin head to fat head han - biggest re sculpt mistake ever, fat heads so fugly :lol: & the pin head looks loads more like Mr Ford IMO

Tarking, yes we all wanted him, but as Lars pointed out he did not wish to be made into an action figure & from what I understand of things never thought SW was much of a serious role & dismissed it totally :eek:

Fleet trooper was the biggest figure boo boo IMO,we needed more rebel troops to fight the imperial forces a plenty & had what?? hoth rebels till ROTJ & then only got rebel commandos, what a total bloody blunder! I am sure fleet troopers would have sold in similar numbers to stormtroopers & there they made a huge loss on the toy line IMO

Something I have never really seem brought up before, but something I have frequently considered - towns & action sets rather than the crappy cardboard play sets - why did we never get things like buildings (doll houses), building mos eisley / the hoth bunker / the lars homestead / jabbas palace & say sections of the death star to name a few would have IMO been a huge money spinner for the franchise & I have no doubt kids would have loved to build larger play scapes one part at a time to a plan - this would have been awesome & given the figures more scope & play-ability -am I the only one thats considered this??

Full size tie bomber -I so wanted to see this vehicle, we barely got a glimpse of the interceptors but we got those but yet no tie bomber, sure kids would have loved playing strafing runs bombarding their figures.

More accessory packs (replacement weapons packs), lets face it we all came home from school to see mum with the hoover in hand & freaked the **** out as we'd been playing with everything the previous night in the living room & knew mum had just hooverd up half our weapons stash =( I think they would have sold like hot cakes.

Droids - we / I wanted more of them, lots more of them, they were everywhere in the films.

Wookies rather than ewoks in ROTJ, I was like 13 at the time & in all honesty, ewoks killed my love for SW right there & then at that age, loads of different wookies would have been great to collect, ewoks - meh! but this really did all depend on what age you were at the time so I sort of get why they did it, but that does not mean I have to like it.

Banthas - we needed them

Pomse2001

Grand Master
reddogblues said:
I am still baffled to this day why they never made the Rebel Fleet Trooper. Surely kids would have wanted to re-enact the opening scene from ANH and they would have sold multiple units for "troop building".

They could also have then added a Tantive playset - with corridor for shoot-outs, the escape pod, Darth strangling scene, Leia getting stunned etc.

Sounds like some great ideas, they should have made Rebel Fleet Trooper and tantive playset :wink:

They did make the escape pod, it is in the land of the jawas playset :wink:

subzero

Sith Lord
Vader without his helmet, would have been a nice figure for the POTF line. They made an Imperial Dignitary ffs who had 5 seconds of screen time, so why not a 'no helmet' Vader for kids to recreate that final important scene after the epic Vader / Luke fight?, plus he looks awesome without the helmet.

A 'Stormtrooper disguise' Han, makes no sense to just have a Luke.

Oh and a slave Leia, for err, for research purposes! :?

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Make the sodding figures hold their weapons properly for a start.

LUKE BESPIN
LUKE JEDI
TIE PILOT
LEIA BESPIN
AT AT COMMANDER
LUKE ENDOR
LANDO GENERAL...

the list goes on.

Also, whilst watching Jedi again it occured to me what a mistake it was taking a bright gold droid and a bright white one on a covert mission in dense forest...everyone else was camo'd up but not the droids - they missed a trick here and could have done a CAMO THREEPIO and R2 figure.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Frunkstar said:
This old chestnut eh, great subject matter though Lars

1st for me has to be the switch from the pin head to fat head han - biggest re sculpt mistake ever, fat heads so fugly :lol: & the pin head looks loads more like Mr Ford IMO

Tarking, yes we all wanted him, but as Lars pointed out he did not wish to be made into an action figure & from what I understand of things never thought SW was much of a serious role & dismissed it totally :eek:

Fleet trooper was the biggest figure boo boo IMO,we needed more rebel troops to fight the imperial forces a plenty & had what?? hoth rebels till ROTJ & then only got rebel commandos, what a total bloody blunder! I am sure fleet troopers would have sold in similar numbers to stormtroopers & there they made a huge loss on the toy line IMO

Something I have never really seem brought up before, but something I have frequently considered - towns & action sets rather than the crappy cardboard play sets - why did we never get things like buildings (doll houses), building mos eisley / the hoth bunker / the lars homestead / jabbas palace & say sections of the death star to name a few would have IMO been a huge money spinner for the franchise & I have no doubt kids would have loved to build larger play scapes one part at a time to a plan - this would have been awesome & given the figures more scope & play-ability -am I the only one thats considered this??

Full size tie bomber -I so wanted to see this vehicle, we barely got a glimpse of the interceptors but we got those but yet no tie bomber, sure kids would have loved playing strafing runs bombarding their figures.

More accessory packs (replacement weapons packs), lets face it we all came home from school to see mum with the hoover in hand & freaked the **** out as we'd been playing with everything the previous night in the living room & knew mum had just hooverd up half our weapons stash =( I think they would have sold like hot cakes.

Droids - we / I wanted more of them, lots more of them, they were everywhere in the films.

Wookies rather than ewoks in ROTJ, I was like 13 at the time & in all honesty, ewoks killed my love for SW right there & then at that age, loads of different wookies would have been great to collect, ewoks - meh! but this really did all depend on what age you were at the time so I sort of get why they did it, but that does not mean I have to like it.

Banthas - we needed them

Wow Frank, what a huge post, looks like there is a lot kenner could have done better :lol:

I totally agree fat head solo is ****ing ugly :lol:

Yes Fleet trooper was missing and a huge mistake, I had not any rebel soldiers as a kid :( I only had the heroes leia, luke, ben, solo, chewie, r2 and c3po, I was missing troops. But then again, I loved the bad empire :lol: I am sure you are right frank, they could have sold as many Fleet troopers as they sold stormtroopers :wink:

Never thought about that with towns & action sets Frank, but it sounds like a good idea. Just like lego, what would lego have been if there was only cars and lego men :lol: But they did make yoda's hut :lol: but could have been cool with sets that could be put together to a bigger building, base og town.

tie bomber could have been cool, why the **** did they make the battle damaged tie fighter when they could have made a tie bomber :roll:

Yes extra weapons would have been another great idea :D Not that I lost many, but I lost 1 or 2, my dad did the cleaning and he did open the Vacuum cleaner to take the toy parts out again :lol:

Yes, there was not many droids, how many droids did they make :?

I must say I loved the ewoks and I could not see them makeing more wookies since there was only chewie in the movies :lol: But then again I loved the ewok movies :lol: Ewoks I had only a few of them :( 2 logray and wicket, I wish I had more of them :lol:

Banthas, yes. Why the **** make tusken raiders and no bantha :shock: they did make the sandcrawler for the jawas.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
Vader without his helmet, would have been a nice figure for the POTF line. They made an Imperial Dignitary ffs who had 5 seconds of screen time, so why not a 'no helmet' Vader for kids to recreate that final important scene after the epic Vader / Luke fight?, plus he looks awesome without the helmet.

A 'Stormtrooper disguise' Han, makes no sense to just have a Luke.

Oh and a slave Leia, for err, for research purposes! :?

I have never thought about vader without his helmet, but then again they did luke stormie :D

Imperial Dignitary should never have been made :evil:

I think they should also have made Solo stormie, that could have been cool and why the **** did they make them for potf and not sw :roll:

TK-7785

Jedi Master
They could have done better by not stopping the line in '85. :D

Seriously though, one thing that always bugged me was the wrong weapons with some figures. Han Bespin not having the smuggler blaster, Luke Hoth not having a saber, Luke Endor not having a saber etc.

I wish they'd made an Endor bunker playset too. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom