THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 51 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
fb51.jpg

After last months epic seven hour plus podcast the Vintage Rebellion return with a far more manageable time. It's just a 4 man team this month as Simon goes on a soul searching mission to make himself an actual likeable individual.

Rebel Commando focus collector and host of Sixth Scale Scavengers Podcast, Christopher James Leddy, join Stuart and Richard to discuss his collection and his collecting habits.
Rebel Briefings is jam packed as Richard takes us through several topics including reproduction M.O.C.s and Canadian Jigsaw puzzles amongst many others.

A shorter Newest Acquisitions section as Jez gets ready to set sail, but the team look at an array of items from the Death Star World Micro Collection and Die Cast Landspeeders through to the MTV-7 which the team cover in depth with added input from the Vintage Alliance. Andrew Norton and Clint Garniss also stop by to discuss their recent acquisitions.

And Pete brings us a Gimcrack Listener Special.

All this plus much more on this months Vintage Rebellion Podcast!

Enjoy the show!!!

spoons

Grand Master
I love these sneak previews of the gimcrack - intriguing!

Stuart Skinner said:
Rebel Commando focus collector and host of Sixth Scale Scavengers Podcast join Stuart and Richard to discuss his collection and his collecting habits.
Rebel Briefings is jam packed as Richard takes us through several topics including reproduction M.O.C.s and Canadian Jigsaw puzzles amongst many others.

Who is this mystery focus collector and host?

Taffius

Sith Lord
Excellent. New commuting material. Is that Jason on the screen in the background? :lol:

Thanks again producers for what I am sure will be most enjoyable as always.

Taffius

Sith Lord
Recard talk was good. Q for Pete, is there a hand held test (like a fluid or "acid" test but not obviously an acid) that would indicate a card being a litho or digital print?

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
spoons said:
I love these sneak previews of the gimcrack - intriguing!

Stuart Skinner said:
Rebel Commando focus collector and host of Sixth Scale Scavengers Podcast join Stuart and Richard to discuss his collection and his collecting habits.

Who is this mystery focus collector and host?

Good point, corrected

spoons

Grand Master
looks like a very scary playing card image on my pc - Jack of collecting Clubs?

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Got as far as the spotting repro cards bit now.

I'll do some magnifying glass racetrack close ups to show what I mean about dots (vintage) vs rectangular pixels (recards). It holds true on the older recards I have. It was Joiner who told me that originally a few years ago. Hope the newer recards arent up to passing this kind of scrutiny.

cheers Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Zoom on an iPhone camera is good enough.

First up is a vintage palitoy racetrack, note the dots:-

601926EF-E03C-4A59-8559-20F6B28319B4.jpeg

Next up is a modern palitoy fake card, note that rectangular pixels:-

2C1C8315-3416-4CB9-982B-451E32435F3A.jpeg

Next up is a Kenner custom blue Snaggie card, rectangular pixels again:-

BBF51F24-D136-4D67-B4E9-8E3ED8C8805C.jpeg

Last is a last Jedi modern card, dots again:-

668F764F-B14A-40C1-9F47-D5EF103D9FA2.jpeg

So it looks like the genuine produced factory cards are round dots. And the fakes/customs are rectangular pixels.

I think the thing about digital printing techniques is that the printers available to most individuals were digital from the mid 90s. Looks like the printing techniques used in the factories hasn't changed much.

Anyone with fakes or genuine cards which oppose this theory?

Cheers Jason

Attachments

• E44E8991-0623-4566-A397-F3C7D539ECD0.jpeg
    E44E8991-0623-4566-A397-F3C7D539ECD0.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,578

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
I didn't quite understand when it was being discussed but after seeing this i have just checked some jedi figures i have thanks Jason fascinating stuff i would say almost impossible to see with the human eye or my eye's. But with help from the camera on my phone and a bit of zoom once focused its clear.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Another great podcast guys and I was surprised to see another release so soon so it was a nice surprise to see it posted yesterday. I missed Simon I must admit (probably a first I know :lol: ), but I thought you all made up for being one man down with ease. It's also going to be a loss possibly not having Jez around for a while so I wish him a very safe time away (tour of duty?) and hopefully he will be able to drop in from time to time (always nice to hear his soothing tones).

I've said it before but it's always a highlight of my month listening to what's going on in the vintage world and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the recent 'Should grading companies archive/case reproductions'? thread that's on the forum, should make for a very interesting listen.

As I've been enjoying all the podcasts since they began I'd like to give back a little if I can and I'm happy to talk to you guys about my Palitoy reseal run I've put together over the years if you want me to. The thread I started on here back in 2012 is due an update (which will be coming soon), and I posted it the day after I joined this forum as it was the reason I found you all - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13119

Just drop me a line if you are looking to fill some airtime and do keep up the great work as it's very much appreciated! :D

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
Awesome Ian I'll give Stu a shout and thanks for the feedback.

We're very hopeful that Jez will be available. Wifi tests etc.

Si who?

:lol:

TK-7785

Jedi Master
mr_palitoy said:
Zoom on an iPhone camera is good enough.

First up is a vintage palitoy racetrack, note the dots:-

601926EF-E03C-4A59-8559-20F6B28319B4.jpeg

Next up is a modern palitoy fake card, note that rectangular pixels:-

2C1C8315-3416-4CB9-982B-451E32435F3A.jpeg

Next up is a Kenner custom blue Snaggie card, rectangular pixels again:-

BBF51F24-D136-4D67-B4E9-8E3ED8C8805C.jpeg

Last is a last Jedi modern card, dots again:-

668F764F-B14A-40C1-9F47-D5EF103D9FA2.jpeg

So it looks like the genuine produced factory cards are round dots. And the fakes/customs are rectangular pixels.

I think the thing about digital printing techniques is that the printers available to most individuals were digital from the mid 90s. Looks like the printing techniques used in the factories hasn't changed much.

Anyone with fakes or genuine cards which oppose this theory?

Cheers Jason

Jason is quite right. The nature of the visible pixels is due to that fact that the repros are scanned and digitally altered from originals. Even if they were scanned at a stupidly high enough res to capture the dots (a result of offset litho printing) by the time they have been cleaned and adjusted for reprinting this fine detail, visible to the naked eye...at least under side by side comparison, would be blurred or softened at best, obliterated most likely. Which is exactly what Jason's close ups show. The close up dot pattern of these old litho prints is a result of the metal plates which were etched, or machined, to the carry and print the four colour inks as they were transferred onto the cardstock, one after another.

As Peter mentions in the podcast it would be extremely costly to to have new metal plates made up to to print repro cardbacks that match originals. And in order to do so one would have to replicate the original card art exactly, then have it split into the four component colours (CMYK) to make new litho type printed cardbacks passable. And I highly doubt anyone would go to the trouble and financial outlay to achieve this. Add to that the fact that they would have create the art work largely from scratch and match that to the original card art masters by Kenner, Palitoy etc before doing so. The chance for numerous discrepancies to slip in would be all too easy. If making money is the game then the investment in time and money to profit wouldn't bear out.

The upshot of this is is that I believe fake cardbacks will get better quality than the majority of current repros in time (eg better, more accurate cardstock and finish), and these may well fool a lot of people. But the chances of creating something that is truly indistinguishable from an original to the trained eye is an extremely tall order.

Chris

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom