Cardback lifting?

Jsm2098

Youngling
Hi I bought this the other week but noticed there is lifting from the card itself directly below the bubble. I've never seen this before, is this a common thing? Thought I would ask the experts here! It is a Rotj Nien Nunb card. Regards.

Attachments

• 56E09E6D-A380-411D-AE7C-7BC2D811ED61.jpeg
    56E09E6D-A380-411D-AE7C-7BC2D811ED61.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 711

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm really not very clear on what exactly you mean. Are you saying that the bottom of the bubble is lifting off the card (which is annoying, but sadly can happen), or are you saying that the card back itself is splitting into two layers? If the latter, that's not something I've ever experienced myself before with Vintage, but perhaps some other Forum members have?

Jsm2098

Youngling
Yes, the actual cardback itself is coming apart as in like two layers. I've never come across it before. It's as though it is two pieces of card together but the card seems very genuine with a perfect waffle bubble. Thought maybe when the bubble was attached in the heat process this could happen as the rest of the edging is perfectly fine.

poncho

Grand Master
card backs are too pieces of card put back to back and can seperate over time due too storage conditions or weak adhesive in the first place

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I've seen this a few times before, often if the card has been subjected to water/moisture.

subzero

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
I've seen this a few times before, often if the card has been subjected to water/moisture.

That's what it looks like to me I reckon, damp conditions with too much moisture in the air can easily do that.

It's split but to me it also looks like the card had expanded a little bit too.

poncho

Grand Master
i had ewok moc once and its card was half coming away i used some paper glue just small amount and it was sorted

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
It's called 'de-lamination' and as previously stated, when the adhesive between the 2 ppieces of card begins to decay for whatever reason. This can be down to moisture and then the card drying over time.

I've seen countless examples of this on MOC's and other packaging. It can be fixed if it comes completely away but I would leave it as is and maybe invest in a GW case as this will keep the 2 halves firmly together.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I used to work in a cardboard factory many years ago (not fun) and yes its delamination caused by cardboard getting damp then drying with a wave in the card. The dampening/damaging of the glue along with the pressure of the subsequent wave forces the two (or three) layers in the card to separate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom