Is Kenner worth more than Palitoy?

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
In most cases palitoy worth more, especially logod stuff. However, crystal clear bubble Kenner Jedi cards definitely fetch a big premium these days over many palitoy Jedi cards.

jayums

Jedi Master
Dannywhiteley said:
In most cases palitoy worth more, especially logod stuff. However, crystal clear bubble Kenner Jedi cards definitely fetch a big premium these days over many palitoy Jedi cards.

Yeah I've noticed that too, at least anecdotally. Why is that do you think Danny ? For me a lot of the Rotj look cleaner without the logo

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
At the risk of chipping in, I guess it's because globally most Star Wars collectors are American, and just like many UK collectors prefer Palitoy because that's what they had as children, in the States the nostalgia will be for Kenner. Since ROJ MOCs with clear bubbles are becoming scarce, the demand for them and hence their prices will go up in turn.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I think there is kenner items that is more rare than palitoy items but then again there is palitoy items that is more rare then kenner items.

But I guess most palitoy items is more rare than kenner items.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think the prices of Kenner stuff has risen a lot over the last couple of years, where as Palitoy was high to start with but hasn't really moved. A lot of the logo Palitoy stuff hasn't changed much in a decade, I watched a few items end on eBay last night that went surprisingly low.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
I think the prices of Kenner stuff has risen a lot over the last couple of years, where as Palitoy was high to start with but hasn't really moved. A lot of the logo Palitoy stuff hasn't changed much in a decade, I watched a few items end on eBay last night that went surprisingly low.

There's a lot more Palitoy stuff around now than a decade ago. The Vectis rep find, other shop finds etc. mean that supply has significantly increased. So whilst prices have fallen on some "once rare/now common" items like the usual 6 30a's, the "once rare/still rare" items will still command steep prices.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
jedisearcher said:
edd_jedi said:

There's a lot more Palitoy stuff around now than a decade ago. The Vectis rep find, other shop finds etc. mean that supply has significantly increased. So whilst prices have fallen on some "once rare/now common" items like the usual 6 30a's, the "once rare/still rare" items will still command steep prices.

Totally. There is still the belief those 6 x 30As (well, certainly 4 of them you trip over) are rare when they seem to be anything but. Let's face it, most of those are more widely available on 30 back than any other Palitoy logo card. So if you bought them over 3 or 4 years ago when they were still harder to find then yes, even Kenner Klaatus have out performed them. It's why I think you should never, ever be the first to purchase a "never seen before" item at auction: the number of them known to exist can only increase.

Of course, if you have the cash and are buying it because you love it then it really doesn't matter, does it? Last I checked most here were collectors, not investors, and I have limited (no) sympathy for the latter as they're part of the problem group who help force prices up for the collectors.

jared007

Padawan
I tend to think early Palitoy is rarer and more pricey than early Kenner - I'm talking SW and ESB stuff when the Palitoy logo is still printed on the cardfronts. But when it comes to Jedi, I personally think the brandless palitoy jedi cards are a bit stale and much prefer the kenner ROTJ versions - I would pay more for the kenner versions. But in this end of the range, I think it can go either way in terms of price.

(I am Australian though, so that may influence how much sentimentality I have for Palitoy).

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Defo more Kenner about than Palitoy. Geography alone would suggest that ie looking at the size of the UK and the US.
However there are a hell of a lot more Kenner collectors than Palitoy so it's all proportionate and therefore the demand is prob more or less equal.
So as much as Palitoy is valuable to us Brits, Kenner is to the Americans :!:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
IMO collectors pay a premium for the Palitoy logo, because the colours are so vivid and patriotic and evoke a sense of nostalgia, hence SW and ESB are highly sought after. When it comes to ROTJ there is no logo and no nostalgia, and at that point I think collectors prefer a logo to none at all.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
IMO collectors pay a premium for the Palitoy logo, because the colours are so vivid and patriotic and evoke a sense of nostalgia, hence SW and ESB are highly sought after. When it comes to ROTJ there is no logo and no nostalgia, and at that point I think collectors prefer a logo to none at all.
As someone who remembers SW & ESB Palitoy cards it's certainly nostalgia for me. I seem to remember Kenner cards becoming more prevalent around the time of the 45-backs. Even as a kid I remember finding the Jedi Palitoy cardbacks dull compared to the Kenner ones, to the extent I'd seek out a Kenner version of a figure rather than Palitoy.

its funny I read a few comments and most are moc related not sure why! yes palitoy
carded are over priced and worth more but if you look at say store displays
then kenner blows palitoy out of the water more than 5 or 6 times the value! so depending
on your point of view yes

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
21 Back Fett for £21500 and that's not a particularly rare figure. Kenner has had a real lift since the high value Telescopic sales at the Hakes Auction.

lejackal

Grand Master
Someone on FB is currently asking 9500 USD for a 45 back RL Threepio - quite a mark up on it's equally rare Palitoy cousin

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
All Kenner 12 Back C3P0 £3750, Han £3500, Vader £3400 all priced higher than there Palitoy Counterparts that was unheard of a few years ago, Kenner is no longer a cheaper collecting option.

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
All Kenner 12 Back C3P0 £3750, Han £3500, Vader £3400 all priced higher than there Palitoy Counterparts that was unheard of a few years ago, Kenner is no longer a cheaper collecting option.

Are they selling at that price?

If it helps the discussion, I bought Kenner 12a chewie and Han for £1000 each in 2015. Both 80 grade. Sold them for the same amount in the last 6 months.

lejackal

Grand Master
Kenner 12 backs are actually declining in value based on tracker sales with the exception of very high grade examples

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom