THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 47 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
The Vintage Rebellion returns for their 47th outing. Jared Cope, Andrew Norton and Stephen Savory join Stuart and Simon for a roundtable discussion on prices and the state of the hobby, is collecting Star Wars toys an obsession?

Rich has the pleasure of talking to Craig Stevens about his new book focusing on the impact of Star Wars in the UK. We then discuss a couple of topical points in the hobby including a great act of honesty.

In Market join Simon for a ramble through rare and interesting items sold on eBay in the last month, hear about the auction action from UK salesrooms and the ones to watch in the coming month.

With help from new Vintage Alliance member Bob Steffey, the team take at look at the awesome Snowspeeder. Brian Angel drops by to discuss his latest R5-D4 pickup and the team also look at a host of other great acquisitions from UK bubble bath to soot covered Luke Hoth Mint on Cards.

Pete continues the look at the Snowspeeder as he delves into items for the ship outside the toy line as well as bringing his popular top five and Gimcrack of the month.

The team take a look and make recommedations for new collectors on which Facebook groups to join and can Simon win a quiz? I very much doubt it.

Oh and Steve Savory tells us how he likes to go hard!

All this plus much more on this months Vintage Rebellion Podcast.

Enjoy the Show!!!!!

Taffius

Sith Lord
Stuart Skinner said:
Enjoy the Show!!!!!

Just noticed it in my podcast feed before setting off to work - bonus. Just got to the grading chat. Did well on the quiz. Must be learning stuff! :lol:
Thanks again guys for my monthly treat. :D

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Another cracking episode, guys. Well done!

The market watch was particularly interesting, especially the auction houses and some of their nefarious sales tactics. When I first started buying from auction houses I was far more trusting than I am now. I got caught once with one well known outfit known for their vintage toy sales. Their description for one particular was "Original vintage Star Wars figures and accessories". Which, when I questioned after receiving some repro accessories, they claimed that the "original vintage" was just the figures. In other words 'Vintage original figures...and some non original accessories'. Misleading at best! :evil:

At the time I thought they had a good reputation. Needless to say I keep them at an arm's length these days. From then on it has been condition reports or check the items in person whenever possible. And if unsure, walk away.

The lifting bubble Pali Walrus man for ~£1400...man I'd be pissed. But caveat emptor kind of rings true. Though I think the auction house could and should have given better descriptions. Pleading ignorance after the sale is a common tactic I've found. They new full well what was up I'm sure.

Chris

Taffius

Sith Lord
Over half way through now and thought the Jared, Andrew and Stephen piece was great and flowed very well amongst the group.

Sorry to hear about Jez. Do you think it might of been something from the armour? He has been in it a lot. :D

Perhaps his defecation and urination drills are difficult in Stormie armour? :?:

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'm really enjoying the latest release, especially the chat with Jared, Andrew and Steve. I've also recently discovered that Steve lives in the same town as me. Don't panic Steve I'm not stalking you. :D

Taffius

Sith Lord
I was really enjoying the podcast then heard at the end I was being referred to as a "mouldy chicken".

First it was Jez's playmate and now mouldy chicken! That's it - I'm going to find a better podcast that provides my audio SW fix to help my commute. Oh wait there isn't one....damn! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
As per usual guys what a show 8) Am currently at work on this glorious bank hol :x However u guys and all ur efforts have cheered me up with this great listen :D

Loved the pieces on Brian Angel's rare 31 R5 acquisition and the v rare blue sabre Luke Tri 8)
Have to say Simon I think the Blue Luke Tri makes the Madine look common :!: :!: I know a top collector who once sent me a show off pic of 3 carded Tri Madines in top AFA 85 condition and I can tell u now he certainly wouldn't have been able to send me a pic of 3 Luke blue sabre Tris :!: in fact like most he doesn't have one :!: :!: I believe one can count on one hand how many of these Lukes exist that we know of which certainly isn't the case with Madine :!: Madine is a little like the Kenner carded VCJ, costs a fortune but a fair many in existence :!:

I personally have only seen one Tri blue Luke Jedi which was owned by forum member "Scottie_boy". Not sure what he sold his for but I believe it was a 4 figure sum.

spoons

Grand Master
Another enjoyable listen and thanks for having me back.

The snowspeeder is a fantastic toy and hasn't changed much in price at all over the years. My first one was from a vintage shop in Manchester in 1992 - cost £15 then, which is about £30 today with inflation.

A killer quiz from Rich, but I was confused by the first question. Didn't come close to any answer but wondered why 4 wasn't the answer for Si's question?

Si did say 45 back but then went for 48 - with 47 being the answer (6 not 7). Why weren't 45s in the sequence?

Confusing me just writing that

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Excellent episode as usual lads.

Had two flashbacks listening this month:

When I was a kid every Thursday I would check the local free paper to see what was on at the nearby cinema. Often it would take weeks for the latest films to play. Sometimes they would miss us out completely. We would never travel the 10 miles or so to Newcastle to see something at the cinema. If they missed us out, you had to wait 'til it was on TV!! Sometimes films would do a second circuit and you might see it then. Crazy.

I used to love those Burtons biscuits so much. I actually felt a bit sick when they got a mention, I gorged on them so much in the 80's. The Jabba ones were the best.

Great round table discussion. I love Jarod's App, great resource.

Simon seems to be getting a lot more abuse that Richard these days. Very funny. Appreciate the hard word.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Really enjoyed the round table, some very valid points put across coherently.

There is definitely some truth to this so-called "millennial" generation, Spoons is right that it has always been there to a degree but before Facebook the 'like' and instant gratification that comes with it simply didn't exist. I recently employed a 22 year old in my team, and if I don't tell him he's done a great job every 5 minutes he thinks he is doing something wrong. He even emails me individual lines of code to congratulate him about. I've never seen this behaviour before with older members of my team, I'm sure it's because of social media.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
Simon seems to be getting a lot more abuse that Richard these days. Very funny. Appreciate the hard word.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys, glad to hear that the latest episode is well received.

I would, however, like to highlight the above as the most valid feedback to date, thanks DarthBobby, you have real insight. How I deserve more abuse than the northerner I don't know. I guess it's my good looks, adonis-like physique, winning personality and modesty that intimidate the rest of them. Understandable.

Ian, I do agree, Luke Jedi blue sabre on TL does indeed appear to make Madine seem common. And no, he doesn't have one, but only one of those Madine's was his, IIRC ;)

Taffius, mouldy chicken is a term of endearment in the grimmer and less developed parts of the country.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom