THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 44 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
44face.jpg

EPISODE 44 : PALITOY JUNKY

Its a New Year but the Vintage Rebellion team are back and doing what they do best.

Stuart and Simon are joined by Jon Aves for an interview to discuss his collecting and early years. Jon is a huge Palitoy collector and some of the items he has owned have been nothing short of stunning.

Rich looks at a successful story as a repro seller gets his rewards, a plea to help Wrighty find his parcel and then delves into the SWCA archive to discuss a mini-rig.

During this months New Acquisitions the lads discuss some bargain open bubble Palitoy figures, Star Wars Play-Doh, a listeners Girlfriend sorting him right out and a beautiful collecting friendship. Plus the podcast is further enhanced with Chris Georgoulias and Ron Salvatore once again stepping up as The Vintage Rebellion Alliance to educate us all on the unreleased second wave of Ewoks and the iconic Landspeeder.

Continuing on from his fanzine article this month, Peter continues his delve into Star Wars unofficial computer games from the early 80s.

As always there is plenty more besides this, hope you enjoy the show!

Taffius

Sith Lord
Great podcast once again. Beginners advice was spot on, already made a couple of minor errors mentioned (figures with no guns. Damn it) but learning so quickly from here and from the podcasts.

Tracker sorted. I will try to take my time but everything out there looks awesome!

Thanks guys for the time and effort as always.

Taff

spoons

Grand Master
Just the trick for a 9 hour round trip today to pick up an ebay haul - well good for half the journey anyway

Great stuff from John and I actually got a quiz question right.

And of course everyone wants an opening bonnet. I had a second hand landspeeder as a kid and used to keep my weapons in my bonnet - I'm sure everyone did

Looking forward to the next one

spoons

Grand Master
and - Stu, I dont have a Takara wooden landspeeder but I do have the TIE. Would love one to build too

Takara wooden TIE front_zpsqqiu7ibm.jpg
Takara wooden TIE_back_zpsnacydlni.jpg

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
spoons said:
and - Stu, I dont have a Takara wooden landspeeder but I do have the TIE. Would love one to build too

Takara wooden TIE front_zpsqqiu7ibm.jpgTakara wooden TIE_back_zpsnacydlni.jpg

That is the Mutts Nuts, I want one, a 2018 goal for sure. Love it mate

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Another outstanding podcast fellas! I still don't understand how 4-5 hours can fly by so fast.

Really enjoyed the interview with Jon and his Palitoy focus. Just had a look as some of the photos you posted on Facebook of his collection. Most impressive indeed. That Luke Jedi with 2 blue sabers....dang!

It's been a great addition to the show hearing from Chris and Ron dropping knowledge on a regular basis. The Landspeeder is my favorite of the smaller vehicles. Still have my childhood one and it's beat to heck and the center turbine broke off years ago, but it's still awesome. However, I confess I put the engine decal on top of the hood for some reason. Give me a break through, I was only 4 years old. :) The spring loaded wheels to make it look like it was floating were like magic back in the day.

As always, the NA section is a blast to listen to. Fun to hear the discussion about the Kenner Play-Doh sets. When I found those old photos with the SW and ESB sets in the background, the nostalgia trigger hit me big time. Glad I was able to track them down and finding that sealed Jabba set on the cheap was just plain luck. Definitely am keeping an eye out for the others. I told Stu that I had been thinking about breaking out the SW and ESB Play-Doh sets and I actually did this evening. My daughters and I had a blast, even if it says it's for ages 3-7 on the box. I snapped a pic of them in action.

I can go on and on, but I'm sure most have already either moved onto the next thread or fallen asleep by now. Already looking forward to the next show. Enjoy your 2 months away from the madness Jez and good luck going back to school. Thanks again for all your efforts guys!

IMG_1768.jpg

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just a note on the Palitoy Dengar 41 back from the Palitoy Junky interview.

It's true that the rarer one of a kind cards are on my my matrix from word of mouth from trusted collectors. I have no doubts that the entries made this way are good as the sources I got these from I trust implicitly.

41 back Dengar used to fall into this category until I was shown a video of it by Darren Simpson at celebration last year, so it's now verified like the rest of the entries on the matrix. It's 1 of 2 MOC that are known to exist.

cheers Jason

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well that's great for u J but quite frankly as I have said before it's not good enough for me and sadly a few significant others in our beloved hobby-and sure thing if I ever see one with my own eyes and I deem it right I will shut up :!: :!:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
Well that's great for u J but quite frankly as I have said before it's not good enough for me and sadly a few significant others in our beloved hobby-and sure thing if I ever see one with my own eyes and I deem it right I will shut up :!: :!:

Seeing the video didn't change my certainty of whether it existed or not as I'd already been told if it's existence by several reliable sources.

The whole matrix is verfied in the same way. If you doubt dengar 41 Back exists then all the entries on the matrix are equally in doubt.

Jason

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
Certainly not all J BUT certainly some :!:

Which entries do you have a problem with? It was quite disconcerting to hear the matrix being put down on the podcast.

Jason

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
J it's not meant to b an attack on ur Matrix and I mean that :!: I have said many times to many people ur work on ur Matrix and indeed the Toytoni scandal is very much appreciated.
As someone who got into collecting Palitoy MOC quite seriously I have had my own journey and experiences and naturally become quite involved with other serious Palitoy collectors over the years and yes there r some entries which have been questioned mainly around the SW characters on 30 back! I don't think it is unhealthy to question something one(who is a serious collector with a good network) has never seen-even a trace of :!:
Again am not meaning to put down ur Matrix J but by ur own admission some of ur entries r by word and mouth and shouldn't b expected to b taken as gospel by everyone:!: I am just that guy who likes to c it for myself :!: I am however always optimistic that pieces will turn up ie ur lovely 41 back Sandpeople cardback 8) I am hoping one day we will c a MOC example surface too.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
palitoyjunky said:
Certainly not all J BUT certainly some :!:

Which entries do you have a problem with? It was quite disconcerting to hear the matrix being put down on the podcast.

Jason

No one put down the matrix whatsoever on the podcast Jase, all Jon said was that he preferred to see evidence first hand to be sure for certain that items exist, no one run down the matrix, we all and I'm sure I speak for Jon in this as well, hugely appreciate all your hard work, we all use the matrix regularly on the show as it is a great resource, but you have to understand that Jon likes clarification for himself on the items he collects and researches.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Jon, if you need first hand evidence then you can't use my matrix or the kellerman matrix for that matter. They are put together using evidence given to the matrix compiler.

It's like saying you don't believe in New Zealand because you haven't been there. And putting down anyone who says they believe in New Zealand who hasn't actually been and verified its there with their own eyes.

Jason

Palifan

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
Jon, if you need first hand evidence then you can't use my matrix or the kellerman matrix for that matter. They are put together using evidence given to the matrix compiler.

It's like saying you don't believe in New Zealand because you haven't been there. And putting down anyone who says they believe in New Zealand who hasn't actually been and verified its there with their own eyes.

Jason

Jason, I think everyone on here is mature enough to know that New Zealand really exists.....well for the most part anyway :lol: ,but I can see Jon's point about finding it hard to totally trust in the existence of just the odd card back variation based on never coming across one and with no one seemingly being willing to show some sort of photographic proof of it. I do struggle to understand why some collectors who apparently do have these rare card backs are unwilling to show an example of them, especially when Jon mentions being friends with them for years. It doesn't seem quite right to me, if I mentioned having something that was in doubt by friends of mine I would understand but make sure I could prove it.

From what I understand Jon has been collecting and researching these items for a very long time like yourself and has probably come across most of what's on your matrix in the area that interests him. For some it can be difficult to take the word of another when there's no physical proof out there, I think you mention yourself that you've been told of a few things in existence but not seen them first hand. I understand that you trust the people who claim this 100% but if even they can't show you any proof it's hard to really know for sure.

As Stuart mentioned no one is putting down any of your hard work and dedication to your site, we all love and use it regularly and I feel that even I contributed to it in some way when I mentioned the R2 style bubble used on the 12 back Jawa moc. New things come up all the time and even though I don't have a huge interest in card back combinations passed the 30 A backs I'd hate to see things turn slightly sour for no real reason. The people who appreciate our UK contribution to vintage Star Wars have a lot of love for the factory from Coalville that once was and it's amazing that there's one place we can all go to research things about it.

I really hope you and Jon can just agree to disagree on a few points and I know Jon will be very happy to let everyone know if he does get some proof on a few things that he has in doubt, I'm sure you would do the same if and when you have a picture or even the item in your collection.

As a side note though, great show as ever boys, keep knocking them out of the park! :D

Ian

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
mr_palitoy said:

Jason

Jason, I think everyone on here is mature enough to know that New Zealand really exists.....well for the most part anyway :lol: ,but I can see Jon's point about finding it hard to totally trust in the existence of just the odd card back variation based on never coming across one and with no one seemingly being willing to show some sort of photographic proof of it. I do struggle to understand why some collectors who apparently do have these rare card backs are unwilling to show an example of them, especially when Jon mentions being friends with them for years. It doesn't seem quite right to me, if I mentioned having something that was in doubt by friends of mine I would understand but make sure I could prove it.

From what I understand Jon has been collecting and researching these items for a very long time like yourself and has probably come across most of what's on your matrix in the area that interests him. For some it can be difficult to take the word of another when there's no physical proof out there, I think you mention yourself that you've been told of a few things in existence but not seen them first hand. I understand that you trust the people who claim this 100% but if even they can't show you any proof it's hard to really know for sure.

As Stuart mentioned no one is putting down any of your hard work and dedication to your site, we all love and use it regularly and I feel that even I contributed to it in some way when I mentioned the R2 style bubble used on the 12 back Jawa moc. New things come up all the time and even though I don't have a huge interest in card back combinations passed the 30 A backs I'd hate to see things turn slightly sour for no real reason. The people who appreciate our UK contribution to vintage Star Wars have a lot of love for the factory from Coalville that once was and it's amazing that there's one place we can all go to research things about it.

I really hope you and Jon can just agree to disagree on a few points and I know Jon will be very happy to let everyone know if he does get some proof on a few things that he has in doubt, I'm sure you would do the same if and when you have a picture or even the item in your collection.

As a side note though, great show as ever boys, keep knocking them out of the park! :D

Ian

You have to acknowledge the black hole collectors mentality and understand it to get a complete picture of everything that's out there.

Publishing a picture of a rare item that's not been seen makes it a lot less special. Pictures that are released are often heavily watermarked.

My own view is to share with the community. The 41 Back sandpeople cardback had already been seen on the eBay auction. And publishing pics of the full 12 Back cardback run can only encourage Gary and the like to complete a MOC run.

I'm happy with all the 30 Back entries I have on the matrix. Most weren't witnessed by me, but by somebody else who witnessed them. There's no reason for anyone to be trying to fake this stuff. What's the point? By having the entries on there it keeps them on peoples radar. Hopefully non black hole examples will surface.

Jason

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom