How I lost my parcel

wrighty

Sith Lord
This started after the Vectis auction for the 12C VCJ MOC with Harbert sticker that was won by Paul Chu.

He took it to Celebration 2017 for Tom Derby to examine and he thought it was fake with 2 cardbacks glued together. My understanding was it was then sent back to Vectis and I heard it was returned to Paul saying it's good but I also heard somewhere Vectis said the MOC was not in the same condition as when it left Vectis, not sure what that means.

Paul and Nick Dykes reach out to me because I have an open bubble of the above which I added to my collection about 4 years previously. Since I moved to Sydney from the UK most of collection is in storage so I made a 3 hour round trip to retrieve it from storage.

Took detailed and close up pictures and sent it to Paul, Tom and Nick.

Tom says its not good enough he needs it in his hands to examine it properly, I said if you come to Sydney I will buy you a beer. Paul then asked me to send it to Tom, my 1st instinct was sod that, but he keep asking and I thought this is a small community and if I can help why not (big mistake).

I asked Paul what to insure it for, he said $50. He wanted me to use his FedEx account but there was a similar service by AusPost, 2 day courier to US so off the parcel went.

It was posted on Thursday 02/11/17, since there was no tracking info on the AusPost website I contacted them for an update on Tuesday 07/11/17 and was told it was delivered on Monday 06/11/17. So I contacted Tom and he said nothing arrived and when I contacted AusPost again with my tracking number it tracked a parcel from Sydney to UK instead of US. I have been on the phone to then at least an hour at a time each week, the plan was to retrieve the parcel that was delivered in the UK but that never happened and on Tuesday 05/12/17 they declared the parcel lost and close case.

So there is nothing further I can do but to try and find this parcel myself, hence the big bounty if found. I will pay out AUD$3000 for the safe return of the cardback and bubble then I will deal with the muppets that caused this later!

I have set up a page on FB, Twitter and Instagram @findsimonsbox #findsimonsbox, please share, retweet, link, forward, re-post anywhere you think that will help be find this parcel. Many thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2996.PNG
    IMG_2996.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,415
  • IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,416
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 1,418
  • IMG_2987.JPG
    IMG_2987.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,420

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
That really, really sucks for you! :evil: I'm so sorry to hear this, especially since you were only trying to do someone else a favour, and against your natural inclination as well. I really hope you get this back again, undamaged and quickly. Please keep us updated with your progress.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Yes, this is terrible news and as above I'm really hoping it's found and returned to you as it went out. It really sucks with you going so much out of your way just to help out and I have to just hope that it all ends up ok.

Keeps us posted,

Ian

Lindo

Sith Lord
how can something end up in the UK if it has a US address?? if ive read that right, is it something to do with his Fed Ex account? if so then personally I think he should be reimbursing you if it cant be found, I don't understand why you should have to pay a reward of 3k surely these guys should help you out with any reward

newswseller

Padawan
might help if you post the address it should have gone to? could well be the same street in birmingham, UK

wrighty

Sith Lord
Section 8 said:
Who is J Bayley in all this?

I have no idea, it's either DHL big mistake in getting their tracking number mixed up meaning J Bayley actually got the parcel they were supposed to but where is my parcel or J Bayley got my parcel. I have sent a message to all J Bayley in Birmingham but no reply so far!! :?

wrighty

Sith Lord
newswseller said:
might help if you post the address it should have gone to? could well be the same street in birmingham, UK

If only it was that easy, DHL is not going to disclose to me the address that it was signed for, I don't even know if it was my parcel that was delivered or some other parcel but with the same tracking number!!

wrighty

Sith Lord
Lindo said:
how can something end up in the UK if it has a US address?? if ive read that right, is it something to do with his Fed Ex account? if so then personally I think he should be reimbursing you if it cant be found, I don't understand why you should have to pay a reward of 3k surely these guys should help you out with any reward

I have no idea if it was my parcel that ended up in the UK, DHL will not go to retrieve it.

You would think they would, but they have done enough that I rather be able to tell them to piss off then owing any favours!!

Section 8

Sith Lord
Anyone in Birmingham willing to knock at J Bayleys door for you?

I'm sure some random person receiving the wrong post will have no problem handing it over.

subzero

Sith Lord
Sorry to hear you've gone through this, let us know any updates and if you manage to find out any info on who/where J Bayley is.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I doubt your parcel is in Birmingham. I imagine that they have entered the tracking number incorrectly.

With luck, it will either turn back up at home or end up with the intended recipients.

Or it's lost in the system and gone forever.

These things do sometimes take a lot of time to straighten out.

I'm not sure it's pauls fault it got lost though. It's unfortunate you were so unsure about this in the first place and this happened but I'm not sure you can hold either Paul or Tom responsible for the postal service being unable to do their job.

Hopefully in a week or two it will turn back up at your house.

subzero

Sith Lord
There's 9 J. Bayleys in Birmingham according to this phonebook site, including full addresses and phone numbers. If anyone can get a successful lead from any of that I can go and pick the parcel up as i'm in Birmingham.

http://www.britishphonebook.com/search.php?last=BAYLEY&city=BIRMINGHAM

wrighty

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
I doubt your parcel is in Birmingham. I imagine that they have entered the tracking number incorrectly.

With luck, it will either turn back up at home or end up with the intended recipients.

Or it's lost in the system and gone forever.

These things do sometimes take a lot of time to straighten out.

I'm not sure it's pauls fault it got lost though. It's unfortunate you were so unsure about this in the first place and this happened but I'm not sure you can hold either Paul or Tom responsible for the postal service being unable to do their job.

Hopefully in a week or two it will turn back up at your house.

Hi Ben. You are obviously a much better person than I am being more generous and forgiving. I am not someone that holds grudges but I like accountability. I can't hold Paul and Tom directly responsible for the incompetence of AusPost and DHL but if Tom did not ask to have my item in hand to verify Paul's item then this wouldn't have happened and also if Paul did not ask and ask for me to send it to Tom to help him out this wouldn't have happened either. FFS you paid over £10k for the item and you not 100% sure if it was genuine, should have done your homework or not bid on it. I am also kicking myself for agreeing to something that has no direct benefit to me other than to help someone out.

I do like your optimism that it will turn up but its been over 4 weeks and nothing has shown up either end. I can only be hopeful as there isn't a lot of other choices at present.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Don't get me wrong Simon, it sucks that this has happened because you have tried to help someone out. Hopefully karma will make amends getting the parcel back to you.

Perhaps in hindsight if you were going to send it, then you should have specified everything you wanted and insured it correctly, ie if it's going to cost them £300 to get it from aid to the us and back, well if they needed to borrow it that much then that's what it would cost. Hindsight though, is a marvellous thing and I'm sure we have all made bad decisions in the past.

The auction is a whole other thing though. It seems to have all been buried but someone's reputation is due a hammering. One of either vectis or afa don't know what they are doing. Paul bought the item in good faith but who's right? £10k is a lot of dough to be caught up in the middle of such a struggle.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Really sorry to hear this, especially as you were trying to help someone out.

What I can't understand is why you sent it with only £50 insurance? I'd have insisted it went fully insured in fact probably over insured, and with full tracking BOTH ways, and I wouldn't have been paying for it. No guarantees it won't still disppear, though I would like to think there is less chance of it happening, but if it does at least you are compensated for it.

kvavik

Jedi Knight
Sorry to hear about this, Simon.
Honestly this is such a rare item it cant be compansated with insurrance money.
Fingers crossed it turns up. Im sure it's out there somewhere.

olisuds

Sith Lord
It's outrageous that AusPost or DHL could ship it to the wrong country and address and not tell you what that address would be. You'd think that this would be retrievable. If DHL cant tell you the address is it worth reporting to the police? I mean the items not lost, it's being withheld from you which is theft.

My advice when shipping expensive items uninsured would be to use a short expedited service with full tracking, pack and tape the box really well, clearly label both the address and return address, include telephone numbers for sender and recipient.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom