ESB to RoTJ Transition Cards

Leemcl

Jedi Master
I have just picked up a Cloud Car Pilot "Transition" cardback / open Figure ESB to RotJ Card with sticker over Logo from eBay member forestcutter10 (Paul who is great as a seller by the way - his collection of card backs are immense )

While I await the arrival of the figure / cardback - can anyone give me some background on the Transition cardbacks, what shops did they hit. How rare are they overall how desired are they ?

Thanks

Lee

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Get in touch with Scott Bradley.

Basically overstock esb figures re-marketed as jedi wave through the use of the sticker to cover the esb logo. The Canadian market was a bit behind the US and so these filled shelves nicely until genuine Canadian jedi carded figures were released.

"Few are common. "Some are very rare.

subzero

Sith Lord
Wow, another type of cardback I didn't know existed, you learn something new every day.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
If you guys want to see, imho, one of the freakiest cardbacks out there then look for the sears vacuformed figures with the transitional stickers. Super rare and very odd to look at.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
And Chris, it's great to see you still around.

I remember the ccp you had fo sale. Almost perfect in every way. How I'm kicking myself now. £300 if I remember right.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
If you guys want to see, imho, one of the freakiest cardbacks out there then look for the sears vacuformed figures with the transitional stickers. Super rare and very odd to look at.

You mean the Canadian ones, with no pic on the front and blank card on the back, think there was 7 " exclusive" figures, they do look strange but awesome at the same time.

subzero

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:

OMG what a shocker, looks like a bootleg, at least there'd never be the problem of bubble damage though. :lol:

I bet there's still a roll of unused transition stickers out there somewhere hidden in the wild, what an interesting and ultra rare find that would be.

canada-veers-rotj-front_phixr.jpg

Commander Clint

Padawan
Kenner Canada was re-using old ESB stock. You can find a variety of card backs with the stickers on them. 47, 45, 41's, etc... The theory is, you should be able to find any ESB figure with a Tranny sticker on it.

I don't think they ordered any ESB figures in ROTJ packaging. I've only seen the first 20 ANH characters in ROTJ 65A & B, or 77 backs, like DV, Chewy, LXW, C-3PO RL, etc... Removable Limbs C-3PO being the exception. They stopped producing regular C-3PO's at that point in procuction.

Congrats on the CCP. I was watching that one myself. I've dealt with Paul recently as well. Great seller.

The cards are not that common, but do turn up fairly often. I have one card back, complete with all the stickers, in my collection. But I won't pay some of the silly money they go for.

As far as hard to find Canadian card backs, I would say the Sears vac formed, Walking R2, & 20 back Boba Fett's are way harder to find, and worth the premium prices.

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
Some are easier than others, but a very cool variant. I've seen a Fett, and I have one of the only two Vaders I've heard of. I think ESB characters were easier than the first 21 as a rule of thumb - mind you, 'easier' still means tough.

It was a very clever (and very cheap) way for Kenner canada to change the ESB cards to suit the new movie. Classic!

Pat

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Received today.

Not great around the base of the bubble and edge. I fear an element of resealing might actually be necessary to display this one. Not that I have any f ing idea how to do that !

Bit disappointed if I am honest. Card back is excellent but it's still easy to remove the figure :-(

F3DB7365-DE2E-4477-B717-B41C408E9B65.jpeg

Attachments

• 15780C8E-1CE4-472E-A43D-2846C6E26DD3.jpeg
    15780C8E-1CE4-472E-A43D-2846C6E26DD3.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 7617B2DE-7FE6-4FDE-A025-CA8D73C7BDF1.jpeg
    7617B2DE-7FE6-4FDE-A025-CA8D73C7BDF1.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • E05EF781-FF56-4ED4-A8A0-6DAFFBC85164.jpeg
    E05EF781-FF56-4ED4-A8A0-6DAFFBC85164.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 1,070
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom