Ever tried a spot of hand washing?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I have two Princess Leia Endor Ponchos, one mint, one in need of some TLC (well a new poncho really, or so I thought). I was going to buy one on eBay then I thought I'd give it a hand wash. I don't know what the community thinks about interfering with originals but I guess it's just like cleaning and not retouching. Anyway here are the results. I might try it again to get an even better than Daz look...

Attachments

• IMG_7568.JPG
    IMG_7568.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_7563.JPG
    IMG_7563.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 893

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
I think it is great, did you use hot water ? have any of you tried it in a washing machine ?

yeah the prunce face one was in the washing machine, I remember my mum putting it inside a sock and doing at knot at the end so it didn't get lost :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
pizzathehutt said:
Pomse2001 said:
I think it is great, did you use hot water ? have any of you tried it in a washing machine ?

yeah the prunce face one was in the washing machine, I remember my mum putting it inside a sock and doing at knot at the end so it didn't get lost :lol:
What a great idea!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but quite frankly if anyone objected to carefully cleaning dirt off a loose figure or its accessories, then as far as I'm concerned they can go forth and multiply themselves! It's perfectly fine and actually a good idea in most cases as not only does it improve the look of the figure and return it closer to its original (and intended) condition, removing the dirt (depending on what it is of course) can actually prolong the life of the soft goods. Dirt is a breeding ground for fungi and bacteria which can cause permanent damage if left to their own devices.

As for washing them, personally I do what you did and always recommend hand washing soft goods items in COLD water and a suitable gentle cleaning agent. I start small and work my way up if I don't get the desired results. Water alone can often remove light dirt, however using regular soap as well can work wonders. If that's not tough enough, I use a little non-bio washing powder and carefully and repeatedly knead and rub the soft goods to remove the dirt. The process can take a while, so don't be impatient or too rough with the item, and you should see good results.

The idea of placing the soft goods in a knotted sock and then in the washing machine doesn't sound terrible, providing the item isn't fragile and that you use a low temperature (30 degrees C). High temperatures can and do cause shrinking with many fabrics. Remember, Star Wars figure soft goods weren't designed to be washed, so many will shrink if you're not careful. Overall though, I prefer hand-washing as you have more control over the item and can stop cleaning when the item is as clean as you want it to be. Just remember to thoroughly rinse the item free from soap / detergent before leaving it to dry as flat as possible, or you may have one very wrinkled soft goods item! ;-)

Good luck!

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I opted for the hand wash option rather than the washing machine as I could exert more control over the process. If I ruined it I could only blame myself but if it got damaged in the washing machine I'd be kicking myself.

Putting in a sock is a good idea because the sock would protect it, might smell a bit cheesy though afterwards :lol:

walkie

Sith Lord
a bit of soapy water and leave it on the radiator over night always works for me

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Done this plenty of times with SW and Action Man stuff... though standing in the kitchen ironing action man outfits is a sight to behold! :lol:

sparkysx

Sith Lord
I've done it with the same results, never thought of it as a problem considering it didn't come from the factory with dirt on it! I normally give figs a wash if they are new to me and they need it.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
sparkysx said:
I've done it with the same results, never thought of it as a problem considering it didn't come from the factory with dirt on it! I normally give figs a wash if they are new to me and they need it.

For a minute I thought you were going all posh and Waitrose on us and buying la-di-da figs over the fruit counter and washing them before consumption, then it dawned on me what you meant :oops:

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I thought at first you were doing the "I could care less" Americanism but with "I give figs about.. ."

:D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
pizzathehutt said:
Pomse2001 said:

:lol: thanks

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I've got a net zipper bag thing for washing small things in the washing machine.

I was tempted to put a manky Luke Jedi robe in it once but was scared that said 40 year old accessory would disintegrate.

Has anyone done anything like the Prune Face sock trick in the recent age? Unless, pizzathehut, you got your mum to do that a few weeks ago. :)

x-pack

Grand Master
I'm sure somebody on here said they had put a cape in the wash and it shrank. Possibly a false memory

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom