Import Tax

Vernon

Jedi Knight
Hi,

Just had a quick look but couldn't find the info.
Just won an item from Canada. What do I need them to quote on the custom form so I don't have to pay 20% import tax?

Cheers

subzero

Sith Lord
If you were to do that they would have to mark it as a 'gift'.. but you'll still pay tax/duty though if the value written down is over a certain amount ( for example $25 ), even if it's marked as a gift.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Vernon said:
Hi,

Just had a quick look but couldn't find the info.
Just won an item from Canada. What do I need them to quote on the custom form so I don't have to pay 20% import tax?

Cheers

Just searched "tax code" here and one of Rich's old posts came up:

Richard_H said:
Gift and less than £20 to avoid fees.
There is a HMRC tax code (which in my case they've ignored every time and even told me it was no longer valid and I've always had to pay and reclaim later) to be taxed at 5%. It is:

Old Collectable Toy' HMRC code 9705000090

spoons

Grand Master
subzero said:
If you were to do that they would have to mark it as a 'gift'.. but you'll still pay tax/duty though if the value written down is over a certain amount ( for example $25 ), even if it's marked as a gift.

Not if you use the vintage commodity code, that's only 5%

However, they rarely take any notice of any code written on the package and you normally have to retrospectively claim a refund

Vernon

Jedi Knight
Hi, just a quick post to say thanks for your help
- its a bit of a hassle but I was successful and got a refund of just over £70 so well worth it.

Cheers,

Vernon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom