Are prices going up?

wrighty

Sith Lord
We all have read and know that prices of vintage SW have shot through the roof, but is it really true. Take this sales post on FB as an example, the seller is selling below his purchase price or is it a sales tactic? So are we paying way over an inflated price and now when it comes to selling we are in the red?

Attachments

• IMG_1880.PNG
    IMG_1880.PNG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,273

Palifan

Sith Lord
I think the problem with vintage prices is that they seem to change daily. One moment something's really hot and a few people are after it and the next day the interest has disappeared so the price can go for less. I was looking at some resealed Palitoy prices today from recent sales on eBay and thought they were the same or less than years ago. It is also the time of year as things don't seem to go for as much generally through the summer months, I guess due to people thinking about holidays or even the amount of conventions that happen (here in the States especially).

It's always hard to know for sure but I've always thought t's best to buy what you like at the price you can live with and you'll have to be prepared to take a loss if you should move it on. Of course it can work the other way like the AFA 85 VCJ's I sold on years ago to then re buy more soon after at a more inflated price. It was a hard thing to live with at the time but now it's a few years on the price from what I paid has risen by four times.....I bet when I sell them it will plummet to below the price I paid though :lol:

Ian

x-pack

Grand Master
Some things are currently as cheap as they were 25 years ago if you take inflation into account. Common loose figures and ships, you can hardly give them away now. £3 isn't uncommon for loose Jedi figures, that's if you can find a buyer at all.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I would say prices is up and is still going up. Rare items, boxes, moc and complete loose figures is going up.
Even lots cost more than they did a few years ago.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
I would say prices is up and is still going up. Rare items, boxes, moc and complete loose figures is going up.

A few years ago........... you mean a few hours ago !!!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
mumbo said:
Pomse2001 said:

A few years ago........... you mean a few hours ago !!!

Yes maybe a few hours ago :lol:

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I think overall prices r progressively going up but there will always b bargains to b had and indeed there will b those who ask extortionate money for pieces :!:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I think the rare items will continue to rise in value as Demand seems to be increasing and Supply is fixed which can only lead to an inflationary affect. Most of us have no idea how much the rarer MOC's have increased by because so many of the sales are done privately, almost everything I have purchased since January has been in private deals so the prices I paid are not in the public domain and therefore the increases in value cannot be calculated.

How can you determine if something is going up in Value if you do not know what is being bought and sold and what prices are being paid?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I think the rare items will continue to rise in value as Demand seems to be increasing and Supply is fixed which can only lead to an inflationary affect. Most of us have no idea how much the rarer MOC's have increased by because so many of the sales are done privately, almost everything I have purchased since January has been in private deals so the prices I paid are not in the public domain and therefore the increases in value cannot be calculated.

How can you determine if something is going up in Value if you do not know what is being bought and sold and what prices are being paid?

Anthony, its as if you've been looking over my shoulder as I've been muttering into my laptop screen this last week ;)

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I was just reading another thread where it says a R2D2 Prop just sold for 2.3 million and a lightsaber for 375,000 so if some of those collectors move into Action Figures then I think prices will definately be on the up, I just hope they collect Kenner!

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:

Anthony, its as if you've been looking over my shoulder as I've been muttering into my laptop screen this last week ;)

Great minds think alike!

subzero

Sith Lord
I'm mad with myself that I got out of collecting vintage SW in 2002 due to the cost of it, but i'm also glad i'm getting back into it now because in 10 years from now after all these new Star Wars films etc prices will most likely skyrocket more than what they already have, so in a waaay i'm kind of viewing buying these today as being at a cheap price compared to what they will likely go up to in the near future.

My wallet does not think this though lol :roll: but at least I can get to finish off the collection iv'e always wanted before prices get too stupid for me even for loose figures.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
I'm mad with myself that I got out of collecting vintage SW in 2002 due to the cost of it, but i'm also glad i'm getting back into it now because in 10 years from now after all these new Star Wars films etc prices will most likely skyrocket more than what they already have, so in a waaay i'm kind of viewing buying these today as being at a cheap price compared to what they will likely go up to in the near future.

My wallet does not think this though lol :roll: but at least I can get to finish off the collection iv'e always wanted before prices get too stupid for me even for loose figures.

You say this but I really wouldn't worry too much. I am beginning to suspect that the "common" items have pretty much peaked. And I'm including things like VCJs all the last 17 on cards, etc. Harder to find and more desirable items like Boba Fett on Trilogo, I still think there is a little way to go. On the really hard to find items (only a few examples to exist) then yes, there will inevitably be more price rises as there will be an ever increasing number of collectors developing, expanding and growing their collections to include these items.

The main reason for the peak is I just do not see the collecting field getting *much* larger than it is. If you think about it, the build up in collecting probably started when Lucas sold SW to Disney. That was 5/6 years ago. Momentum picked up with the imminent arrival of TFA and then R1 and now the 40th Anniversary, etc. but I do not believe there are that many more potential collectors yet to return to the hobby versus the number of "burn outs" that rejoined in the last few years, spanked their credit cards, did the "Look at me!/What's in the box?/Mailcall!" attention seeking thing on FB and were then left with a load of old toys that they then didn't really want anymore. If the number of collectors hasn't plateaued I would be very, very surprised. In fact, if a graph could be drawn I think you'd be seeing a slight decline in numbers. This can only lead to a cooling of prices as demand drops and supply remains as more and more lofts get emptied.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be FB led trends of "figure of the quarter" when all of a sudden every man wants a particular figure, spiking both demand and prices, but on the whole, I think we're there: peak prices have been achieved on common items.

No doubt I'll re-read this in the future and wonder WTF was going through my head. It'll probably be just after selling my loose set for the price of a screen used R2-D2. As long as it's not before the end of the month I don't think there's any shame in that :D

subzero

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
subzero said:

You say this but I really wouldn't worry too much. I am beginning to suspect that the "common" items have pretty much peaked. And I'm including things like VCJs all the last 17 on cards, etc. Harder to find and more desirable items like Boba Fett on Trilogo, I still think there is a little way to go. On the really hard to find items (only a few examples to exist) then yes, there will inevitably be more price rises as there will be an ever increasing number of collectors developing, expanding and growing their collections to include these items.

The main reason for the peak is I just do not see the collecting field getting *much* larger than it is. If you think about it, the build up in collecting probably started when Lucas sold SW to Disney. That was 5/6 years ago. Momentum picked up with the imminent arrival of TFA and then R1 and now the 40th Anniversary, etc. but I do not believe there are that many more potential collectors yet to return to the hobby versus the number of "burn outs" that rejoined in the last few years, spanked their credit cards, did the "Look at me!/What's in the box?/Mailcall!" attention seeking thing on FB and were then left with a load of old toys that they then didn't really want anymore. If the number of collectors hasn't plateaued I would be very, very surprised. In fact, if a graph could be drawn I think you'd be seeing a slight decline in numbers. This can only lead to a cooling of prices as demand drops and supply remains as more and more lofts get emptied.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be FB led trends of "figure of the quarter" when all of a sudden every man wants a particular figure, spiking both demand and prices, but on the whole, I think we're there: peak prices have been achieved on common items.

No doubt I'll re-read this in the future and wonder WTF was going through my head. It'll probably be just after selling my loose set for the price of a screen used R2-D2. As long as it's not before the end of the month I don't think there's any shame in that :D

I see your point there, and most new collectors that get into vintage do it because that's where it all started but they don't actually have the connection to the figures because they didn't have them as a kid etc so will most likely not hold onto them, and the FB types are the ones who just follow trends and eventually they'll realise they've lost interest and want their money back lol.

Prices go up and down on everything like a stock market but my concern though with these new collectors on FB is once they've pushed prices up enough on the common figures for long enough then it becomes the 'norm' and everyone including long-term collectors have no choice but to follow it and pay it. But for me as long as I get the collection i'm after then prices can do whatever the hell they like then :twisted:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I was thinking about the supply and demand point that people often make when discussing price increases and thought about what has happened in recent years with practices like U Grading which has effectively increased the supply of loose figures into the market whilst reducing the supply of MOC. I would therefore presume MOC will experience a greater inflationary effect than loose figures.

Jez

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
subzero said:

Great post Simon.

I still can't get my head around the price of some of the variants on Facebook/eBay etc. I mean when i bought loose figures 2009/2010 they were just loose figures, some you won for 99p complete, awesome. Even a few years ago they were simply selling as loose figures. Now it seems everyone is a variant and therefore attracts high prices. I do feel sorry for the new loose collectors now. But on the other hand, i do remember the thrill of the hunt and all of the postman deliveries, ah happy days.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Jez said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
subzero said:

Great post Simon.

I still can't get my head around the price of some of the variants on Facebook/eBay etc. I mean when i bought loose figures 2009/2010 they were just loose figures, some you won for 99p complete, awesome. Even a few years ago they were simply selling as loose figures. Now it seems everyone is a variant and therefore attracts high prices. I do feel sorry for the new loose collectors now. But on the other hand, i do remember the thrill of the hunt and all of the postman deliveries, ah happy days.

Yeah absolutely. And this "variant madness" is just another part of the vintage SW market coming of age. We all started out wanting to collect all 92/93/96/97/whatever but when you get that done, what next? How do you keep the collecting buzz going of you have everything? Simple, you look for something you don't have, even if it is a slightly different colour, mould of even more crazy, a COO (no offence, Stef!). And so the birth of a new market. BITD it was VCJ v Cloth cape, Blond Luke v Brown hair Luke, Blue Snag v Red Snag.....and that was it. As the market matures we create new things to collect because we collect a dead toyline and of the manufacturers won't provide it, we will.

I find the rise and maturing of the vintage SW market fascinating. In actual fact it's a perfect example of the collectibles market that's had gasoline poured on it. Would make for an interesting book....

jared007

Padawan
The collecting domain has certainly matured these last few years. Until recently, there was only small pockets that were really interested in the minute variant details on figures, but now it's a lot more prevalent and pursued by a lot more people. And the market straggles behind trying to find it's feet.

As an analogy, for a long time we were wine drinkers only knowing about variants of red and white wine. But as our tastes have matured, we have discovered Shiraz, Merlot and even to the depth of Shiraz from Australia, Shiraz from California etc and will speak of their subtle differences to all that will listen.

I run Star Wars Tracker and quite often I'll get some feedback that I don't track enough figure variants. When I ask what's missing I get answers such as all the COO variations for each figure, and their prices. Or some paint variation on Leia Boushh that I've never heard of before.

I agree with Simon, when most people have ticked off the main collecting goals, you look for new things and inevitably you will find them.

ODB

Jedi Master
Prices are just all over the place. I think either Ebay or apps are introducing price trending tools that seem to over value everything which means many (either through ignorance or greed) stick to this price and the stuff sits there for months until either they run out of patience or someone foolishly buys it. Meanwhile stuff that is reasonably priced sells quickly. Its not just Star Wars that is seeing this but several other lines, its all very frustrating.

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
I see it as comparing it to the 'stock market' or 'property prices'?. They go up and down. Some so called financial experts say we can forever gain value and profit year on year but this is simply not true! Nothing can be a forever increasing diagonal line on a profiteering graph chart. If you think the prices are too high, wait.. they will come down. Simple economics, supply & demand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom