Huge AFA graded production collection to be auctioned off later in the year

Joe

Grand Master
http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=192522

I find it a little odd to see someone dump their "collection" the exact same year there is a major anniversary of the franchise but hey.. :roll: must just be a coincidence ;)

Quick question for people who have been around a while: What do you make of these high profile auctions of late? Personally, while I still always go and see what is on offer (and enjoy some good photography of high grade rarities) I find it all a bit contrived. It's almost as if these days those with money just hit the hobby hard for a short amount of time with the only real aim being to sell soon after it's "complete" in order to cash in on their investment.

Sadly, I think we are going to see many more of these types of high end collection auctions in the coming years, each one "bigger" and "better" than the previous one..

maxf

Jedi Master
I may have missed something, but what's to say this isnt a fairly long time collector cashing out? Could be any number of reasons for doing so, not least prices are mental so if they're thinking now's the time to buy that boat or holiday home...

maxf

Jedi Master
To answer your actual question - I don't really think anybody who would invest say $500k could genuinely view it as a sensible investment. There are so many easier ways of making money off a decent amount of cash like that, without the hassles of the SW world. I buy the 'rich person gets bored' angle way more easily.

momike

Jedi Master
I would imagine he's just an old school collector who has decided to cash out, lets be honest now is as good as a time as any to do so, prob be a lot more collections like this coming out of the woodwork yet......wonder what prices will be like when the 50th anniversary comes around :?

Joe

Grand Master
maxf said:
To answer your actual question - I don't really think anybody who would invest say $500k could genuinely view it as a sensible investment. There are so many easier ways of making money off a decent amount of cash like that, without the hassles of the SW world. I buy the 'rich person gets bored' angle way more easily.

You are right, I definitely don't see anyone investing that amount of money in toys on a whim, there has to be some level of interest and understanding there to begin with. It's most definitely a rich person becoming bored type thing when you see someone plough money into the hobby then sell up soon after. We saw it with Seth with his proof cards..apparently he sold up just because he ran out of things to buy (after just 2-3 years of being Tom Derby's number one customer!).

I was just looking at all of this through old collector eyes I suppose. The hobby has all gone a bit Hollywood in my opinion..with red carpet events and heavily promoted public auctions for high profile collectors. All of which contributes to the price rises and record levels of hysteria for Vintage Star Wars.

Joe

Grand Master
momike said:
I would imagine he's just an old school collector who has decided to cash out, lets be honest now is as good as a time as any to do so, prob be a lot more collections like this coming out of the woodwork yet......wonder what prices will be like when the 50th anniversary comes around :?

You guys might be right, I have no idea - never heard of him if I am honest. Whenever I see a boat load of AFA graded figures I tend to think newer collector. The new guys just seem more into the whole grading thing compared to people that have been around a decade or longer (although he might just have graded it all in order to sell..)

I didn't really mean to insinuate that this particular guy is one of those new collectors dumping a quickly put together high end collection, despite what I wrote above. It was just this auction appearing all over my news feed combined with the coincidence of the anniversary that caused the question to pop in there.

momike

Jedi Master
I recon he's going to have a good turn around for his money if he's been in the game 20 years....Pieces like that hardly ever turn up these days more so in that kind of volume and to acquire stuff like that these days you would have to be a millionaire as would imagine not many would part with these items so makes sense he's old school

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I get where your coming from JOE, for me it does seem there are a number of collectors with a wedge specifically looking at SW as a collecting opportunity, the "in " thing that get bored and then cash out. On the flip side maybe there are some long time collectors who have amassed a collection, that has been a hobby, but now that is now worth serious money, and they take a long hard look at things with the market being so high on prices mini pension break.

Or You've collected for years, then you marry, have kids, mortgages and bills come along, perspectives change, that's life.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
There can be a number of reasons why someone wants to sell his/her collection.
Wealth dictates which items we are all able to buy.
If I had more disposable cash I'd be looking at some high end items like are in that auction.
However, I have items that are priceless - my childhood toys.

I don't think anyone has the rights to decide who should/shouldn't buy/own these.
Yes, it does look like some people are seeing these toys as investments, but the main thing is that they're preserved by whomever owns them.
I'm sure if someone has the idea that a newly purchased £4000 MOC will be worth £7000 in 10 year time then it will be well looked after.

There's some scaremongering by a few that all the bubbles will drop off and plastic will turn to mush.
Maybe the seller agrees with this and decides a holiday home is what he'd rather have instead of a load of decomposing plastic.

I used to collect vitage/deadstock trainers.
It was a bit of an underground thing at the time. Slowly Adidas and Puma caught on and saturated the market with re-releases. I was a fairly well-known Puma collector who lost interest and this year have started to sell them.
Let's face it, if one loses interest in any hobby the what's the point in continuing with it?

wrighty

Sith Lord
Just saw that on FB too.

To a focus collector there is one / two items of interest but to a general collector there may be more.

I agree people change focus or interest all the time. I never see SW as an investment, if you have no interest in it then there is no fun. For me part of the fun is tracking items down, waiting for years for an item to come up, making new friends and also the up & down of collecting, win some lose some.

Rich people that collect tend to just buy and have little interest in the hunt. See like the Nigo auctions, I don;t think he needs to sell but I assume he lot interest and decided to move his collection on and start on something new.

Definitely will have a nosy when the auction is on!

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
An amazing assortment of rare, cool stuff all comes up at the same time, and people complain about how profile sales suck and the reasons people they assume to be wealthy (without knowing for sure they are) get bored and sell off.

Can't we just enjoy seeing all this stuff go up at the same time? It's pretty cool if you ask me.

Now whether I will be able to afford anything that is sold is a totally different story. :cry:

wrighty

Sith Lord
Caswellbot said:
Be interested to see if the 3 packs are parted out or sold as a full set

I think Jeff Jacob sold his set for $250K? I think the people that are in the market for a full set all at once is limited and makes more sense to sell them individually and might actually fetch a higher price!!

Jez

Sith Lord
Wow, what an amazing collection for sale.
I'd love to just be near some of it, let alone own it! Wonderful.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
wrighty said:
Caswellbot said:
Be interested to see if the 3 packs are parted out or sold as a full set

I think Jeff Jacob sold his set for $250K? I think the people that are in the market for a full set all at once is limited and makes more sense to sell them individually and might actually fetch a higher price!!

The Japanese guy who owned bathing ape sold his full run a year or two ago through sothebys and didn't do half as well. I think they sold for about £60-65k which in all honesty was a very good price for the lot. Especially seeing as it included and third series bespin set engineering pilot ;)

Joe

Grand Master
Dannywhiteley said:
He's pretty old school from late 90's into 00's, not a new investor collector.

Just curious Dan, how do you know of him? He's not a name anyone I know is familiar with so just curious if he was ever on the forums etc?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Isn't this that guy who has a shop on eBay and there was a link to his YouTube video on here a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember his name. :? :roll:

No it's not I'm thinking of someone else! Some auction though. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom