Casings?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Evening all. Having recently started collecting again I would like some advice on cases for the figures. I have two that I bought graded but I have also seen something called star cases? Does anyone have any advice on What these are and if they do protect the figure or damage it? Someone suggested sealed bags but I read somewhere the acid can damage the figure? Any help on what these star cases are, the best ones available and if they do protect or damage the figure would be most helpful. And if people suggest graded being better what are the reasons for that? Cheers guys

BlueDog

Sith Lord
If you like the look of the AFA acrylic cases why not spend a little extra and go for these : http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17520

Much cheaper than grading and look heaps bette than Star Cases IMO.

yoda

Sith Lord
I have most of my carded figures in star cases at the min. I can't see any damage caused to the cards with them. But more experienced collectors than me may say different the longar they are stored in them. But for the moment I am happy with them.
The are basically a hard plastic cover/box which you can open and close which holds the card secure.
Sometimes you see them for sale on the forum.
Overtime I plan to buy the arylic cases from lain as they are alot stronger and display better I think.

itfciain

Grand Master
Star Cases are perfect for storage and a must for shipping but in terms of display then nothing beats acrylic - it really gives your cards a museum quality feel and can make even beater cards look fantastic

*Disclaimer* I might be a bit biased :lol:

sith-smith

Grand Master
For display then definitely acrylic.

But I find they are far better protected in a star case. Then tend to have a bit of give in them so can withstand some minor impact and not harm the card. Have dropped a few in star cases...even had someone crash into a wall filled with them and no damage at all.

Dropped an acrylic cases once and figure flew through the bubble!

So as long as you don't intend to throw them around or throw people into them, acrylic is definitely better :D

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the info guys. Just to be clear i have two figures which are graded so they are already sealed in the ukg cases and i only want to buy loose mint. I find the prices for graded figures ridiculous. So with that said would the star cases protect the figure better over time or do they damage the paint on the figure or the figure itself over time? I have read the acrylic cases are better for display not protection? and arent the figures loose in the acrylic??

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
I think the assumption was made that you were talking about mint on card (Moc) figures. Iain / Christian will be able to sort you out with nice acrylic cases for loose figures; to my knowledge star cases (as a brand) are only available for Mocs but clamshell cases of a similar material are available.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Are you asking about cases for carded figures or loose?
There's not really any need to protect loose figures but GW do cases for display.
My loose are temporarily stored in a shoebox and all bagged in acid free zip locks. Iain can sort you out with those too if you need them.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
My apologies for not being clear. Perhaps it's not star cases I mean. I will try and locate a picture of what I saw and maybe that might get better feedback. I'm aiming to collect all 93 figures but I won't be able to afford every single one in a ukg graded case. I love how they look and how they protect the figure but also these cases I have seen look a cheaper alternative. I would try the acrylic cases recommended on here but as I said I think the figures are loose inside?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
I've got it guys! Their called clamshell cases! Does anyone have any feedback on these? Do they deal and protect the figures well or do they damage the figure and paint on them from being sealed? Alternatively do you think graded cases are better them these or the he acryllic? I like the fact of encasing mint figures to view and hold but obviously want the best protection for them and I assumed these clamshell cases protected them? But obviously don't want them if their gonna damage the paint/figure etc

lejackal

Grand Master
You won't find cases that secure loose figures like UKG and AFA ones do anywhere but UKG and AFA as far as I'm aware but it boils down to what you're intending on doing with the figures and personal preference.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Well I like the ukg cases in terms of viewing the figure and how it's on show. I also like how well sealed and protected it is. The collection will be purely for viewing as I want them as mint and well protected as possible! I just don't like the prices per figure. Mint loose would be cheaper. I just want the best possible protection. Anyone had any experience with clamshell cases?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hi there. The clamshell cases are excellent for keeping your figures safe. The big but with them is that they look awful on display.

Graded figures, in my opinion, also look awful. The way the figure is trapped in the little bits of plastic, the way the weapons are displayed and the way the stupid sticker is seemingly the most important part of it all.

I display mine loose, In a detolf cabinet. I like the look of a loose collection and the figures are hardier than they look. I would reccomend g w cases for loose display. I used to have a few as I didn't have room for the cabinet so I displayed a few of my favourite figures and they looked great in the g w cases.

Are you going to display them or put them in shoe boxes under the bed?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Mr-shifter said:
Hi there. The clamshell cases are excellent for keeping your figures safe. The big but with them is that they look awful on display.

Graded figures, in my opinion, also look awful. The way the figure is trapped in the little bits of plastic, the way the weapons are displayed and the way the stupid sticker is seemingly the most important part of it all.

I display mine loose, In a detolf cabinet. I like the look of a loose collection and the figures are hardier than they look. I would reccomend g w cases for loose display. I used to have a few as I didn't have room for the cabinet so I displayed a few of my favourite figures and they looked great in the g w cases.

Are you going to display them or put them in shoe boxes under the bed?

Many thanks for your advice. For now purely to be collected and stored safely (but I still want to be able to view them and admire them). Then when I get my own place next year all out on display but still in protectie cases. Therefore im looking for for the best casing to keep them safe but at the same time still see the figure. Would the clamshell cases damage the figure or loosen the paint in a similar way those plastic bags did to a members figures? Would the figure rattle loose? I always thought those cases would damage them by being rattled around and not letting air in? Where as the gw cases are easily accessible but the figure rattles! It's a tough one lol. I need someone who's had both casings for a long period and can compare I guess

yoda

Sith Lord
I think they would be fine in either I am sure it would take them to be shaken around alot for the paint to start being removed. I also think lack of air shouldn't matter I am sure alot of the cards are still airtight.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
This has been discussed quite a bit recently, there is some useful information in this thread amongst other things....

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29387

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Thanks! Gluing the stands into cases as mentioned in that thread seems a nifty idea! I was just sold on these clamshell cases but no one seems to have experience of them on here

yoda

Sith Lord
I am sure someone will give you the reply your looking for soon there are alot of experienced collectors on here :)

itfciain

Grand Master
I think that you might be over analyzing things but I am sure that I can help one way or another :D

Grading figures is a personal choice - but to be honest, unless it is something very rare then really all you are doing is paying for someone's opinion - which will be no much better than your own. I know some people like the say they look in the cases and the cases with rails that hold them are only available from AFA or UKG. There have been plenty of instances where those rails have rubbed against the figure and caused additional markings and once they are sealed then there isn't much you can do about this.

As for your situation then if you are just storing them, the clamshells will work just fine - most will go in the standard version (20GBP posted for 50) but a few will need the wider one. Alternatively you can just store them in acid free bags (3GBP for 100) - either will keep them safe and not cause any damage (although it is sensible to open the bags or the clamshells now and again to let the figures breath)

Once you are ready for display then either single figure cases (you can glue the stand to the base) do look very nice and are much cheaper than grading the figure. Alternatively you can purchase some display cases from Ikea or like likes (Detolf and Billy are popular) and display the figures in there. We also so do steps so you can display more in a smaller space

Hope that helps a bit

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom