Argos catalogues

spoons

Grand Master
I found a great site last night where someone had scanned in all the old Argos catalogues. I've copied the SW pages and it makes a great chronology documenting the popularity of Star Wars. Argos apparently didn't start selling loose figs until ESB and only sold the whole range by the time of ROTJ

The range first appears in 1979, and the focus is on the 12" line

Argos_1979_b_sut_wint_2_zps52rwh31p.jpg

Argos_1980_a_spr_sum_zps6aon37ls.jpg

Argos_1980_b_aut_wint_2_zpsqpwvfkzf.jpg

Argos_1982_a_spr_sum_zps83vlzubx.jpg

Argos_1982_b_aut_wint_zpsdu2wrx16.jpg

Argos_1983_aut_wint_1_zpsnorrpva0.jpg

Argos_1984_a%20spr_sum_1_zpsbydzgb2x.jpg

Argos_1984_b%20aut_wint_1_zpsmorhfihb.jpg

Argos_1984_b%20aut_wint_2_zpskaoo2jou.jpg

1985 - popularity winding down

Argos_1985_a_spr_sum_zpsida2bru7.jpg

Argos_1985_b_Autumm_zpsuyxua6y9.jpg

1986 - last time it appears

Argos_1986_spr_sum_zpsjlpaza6d.jpg

I've not bothered posting all the other toy lines, but will post the Action Man on another forum - anyone that is interested the scans are all here:

http://retromash.com/argos/

spoons

Grand Master
just noticed that there are clearly green and brown Rancors pictured - always thought the greens were discoloured

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Was it the retrosmash site? There's an old thread on it here http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23531&hilit=argos

Fantastic memories 8)

spoons

Grand Master
Cazza said:
Was it the retrosmash site? There's an old thread on it here http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23531&hilit=argos

Fantastic memories 8)

it was indeed - link above :)

I'd forgotten that thread but useful to have the SW pages out - took a couple of hrs to browse through it all...

stormcab

Sith Lord
Bloody awesome thread. Used to play a game called "tax" with Argos catalogues. Sit with a friend as soon as a page is turned you quickly ppint to what you would want and shout "tax". Always remember the most exciting items apart from toys was the pots and pans with whole roast chickens or meat joints lol. Ahhhhhh, fun times.

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
stormcab said:
Bloody awesome thread. Used to play a game called "tax" with Argos catalogues. Sit with a friend as soon as a page is turned you quickly ppint to what you would want and shout "tax". Always remember the most exciting items apart from toys was the pots and pans with whole roast chickens or meat joints lol. Ahhhhhh, fun times.

Did the same but shouted "bagsie" :lol:

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
These are a massive part of my Childhood memories about Christmas. Used to love looking through all the toy pages.....the anticipation...

Great post :D

itfciain

Grand Master
Notice the Chad Valley name in the 1980 picture

Love looking at these - brings back loads of great memories

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I've studied these pages carefully, written down everything I want and sent the list up the chimney. Hopefully if I'm good all year? :D :D :D

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Great memories there, the last couple of years most notably sum up my childhood memories, though we inherited a secondhand AM assault tower, so a slight hazy mix of years I guess...

spoons

Grand Master
itfciain said:
Notice the Chad Valley name in the 1980 picture

Love looking at these - brings back loads of great memories

That's what started the thread Iain - I saw Chad Valley whilst browsing and added it to the other thread. I assume that Argos were just confused by the make-up of the company as they listed them as Palitoy in 1979

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great pics ,

That stretch hulk is worth a fortune now ! It says Chad Valley but was Deny's Fisher . I never remember seeing too many large SW figures in the shops .

Great memories :D

Vialli

Padawan
steve obi wan said:
Great pics ,

That stretch hulk is worth a fortune now ! It says Chad Valley but was Deny's Fisher . I never remember seeing too many large SW figures in the shops .

Great memories :D

I had the stretch Hulk back then, I remember I pulled his arms so far apart that they split and all the goo started to seep out and he wouldn't return to shape ! Bugger. Great memories though, I look at some of those catalogue pages and recall them as clear as if it were yesterday.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
When I see these old catalogues it always surprises me at the cost back then for the at-at and mel falcon £25 -£30 pound was a lot of money back then so was so lucky to get what I did back then, at the time the larger ships were not a cheap toy, love the miconauts to another fav of mine :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom