Should live or recently ended eBay auctions be allowed to be outed on SWF

Should live or recently ended eBay auctions be allowed to be "outed" on SWF

• NO. Any live or recently ended auction should NOT be outed on SWF (unless they are scam attempts/hum

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • YES. All live or recently ended auctions should be allowed to be outed on the forum

Votes: 40 48.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joe

Grand Master
Important: Before voting please remember this poll is for eBay auctions only. I think we might have to do a separate one for the likes of Vectis for various reasons.

So, vote yes or no, there is no third option. If you don't care either way then you can ignore this thread :mrgreen:

Poll will run for 2 weeks.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hi joe.

For what it's worth, I think 7 days would be an appropriate cooling off period and really and truly the only live auctions we need to know about are scams.

I do find the constant posts of £5000 loose vaders and one armed figures listed as in excellent condition gets quite tedious. We all know there are a lot of idiots that use eBay.

Just my two penneth. Let's see what others think.

Joe

Grand Master
Yes I would agree that a week is more than enough time for the item to be paid for and shipped so any discussion after that is more than ok. If the forum decide they would rather auctions aren't outed we will make sure to remind people that they can link to auctions after x amount of days as you suggested.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
If there is a way to publicise auctions in a 'closed group' style so that only members can see, it would be a good asset and might help a few people out. That's what a community is. Let's face it, forums are losing ground and losing relevance to facebook so it's not a good time to be 'taking things away' and removing topics of discussion.

But as for outing finished auctions on desirable items, I don't think that really helps anyone, and so to prevent the possible 'backdoor' approach I would agree that waiting a week before doing so is sensible. If you're outing a finished auction on some beater that sold for more than it ought to have then yeah, go for it.

But anyway, i'm not going to vote because it's not a simple 'yes or no' answer.

Palifan

Sith Lord
This is a good idea after my mistake listing the card backs that it looks like Jason won.

I'm impressed with the speed that this happened and hope that the same can happen with outing auctions before they've happened as it's something that I mentioned a week ago in another thread ( I know I haven't been around as long as Jason but I do think it's a point that other members here also feel strongly about).

We all love to have a nose and see what's been up for sale but as there are so many of us looking to win items at any one time I see the auction houses in a similar way to ebay.

Sorry again for the mistake, hopefully Jason will receive his card backs with no problems. Oh and not sure why it was thought necessary to lock my thread? I get the feeling it would have just ground to a halt on it's own.

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
OT: Joe I know your little Avatar pic is 8DB but as a big Queen fan whenever I see it my mind goes to the cover of 'News Of The World' album... sorry random observation over - return to talking about SW!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Problem with the closed group type thing is who do you trust. Do you know and could you vouch for any person in a group? Some of these items that we are talking about are not common items you could pick up any day of the week on eBay. Some of these things don't ever come up for sale. That is where the issue could lie.

Also, outing things that people think are garbage that went mad is where these issues have come from. We had the uzay r5 which was passed off as a custom to start with and this last issue is similar. More details will come in time. Lack of knowledge is not a crime, it's what we are all on this forum for, but implementing this would have possibly meant these last two things wouldn't have happened.

I know no harm was meant in either instance. These are innocent mistakes.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'd actually go for a third option, but it does open up a grey area, which is probably why Joe hasn't included it.
I don't have a problem with people outing live auctions that are blatantly daft. The idiot who was trying to sell his drawing of a topless woman with Boba Fett's helmet on etc. No one is genuinely going to go after them, and they do provide a bit of a laugh.

There is the issue of what's acceptable and what isn't though. The Uzay R5 is a prime example of something someone thought was a ridiculous price and outted when in fact it was a genuine item. I do agree the idiots charging £500 for a one armed chewed figure get monotonous as well, but there's always going to be something that one person finds amusing that another finds annoying.

I guess I sit on the fence on this one.

Richard_H

Grand Master
As long as this is eBay only. Vectis and other auction houses advertise heavily and you'd be silly to miss these. Some of their items deserve discussion.

lee gray

Sith Lord
I was actually so excited to win something once that i couldnt wait to post i won it sharing ebay link and then i thought crap i should have waited till it was sent out.

I do believe people should do the work for themselves to find something, say for instance a good few years back i was bidding on a trilogo yak face with blaster rifle and was top bidder and someone on RS posted the link asking if it was real or not because of the small bubble and gun, which then obviously garnered interest so now the people who might not have searched for yak face on ebay that week were now also interested in it due to the post.

for that multiple auction the other day i think its perfectly fine and dont really still have a problem either way.
I wouldnt like to see this site become too restricted like RS though, cant sell TTS cant sell U grades, cant out auctions, cant comment on for sale items ETC

Palifan

Sith Lord
I know no harm was meant in either instance. These are innocent mistakes.[/quote]

Thanks for noticing that, really appreciate it and in the past I've had items I've won listed on here before I've received them but a quick pm to the member was all that was needed to pull the thread until I'd received the item. Mistakes do happen and a quiet word is sometimes a better way to go although it is good to get this subject out in the open as I've thought for a long time it needs to be clarified one way or the other and then we can all move on and know exactly what the majority would prefer.

As for the auction house listings I still think that not everyone takes note of these and there are some smaller scale ones where bargains can still be had. I really don't have a problem with someone investing their time into searching these out and then keeping them quiet until after it's ended. I doubt this happens much nowadays but people do stumble upon things once in a while.

Ian

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Hothrebel said:
What if you are the ebay seller ?

Do some research, know what it is you are selling, list it properly and promote it to your hearts content. If you come on and promote your own auctions, that's completely different.

Or just sell it on the forum in the first place ;)

Ps, nick has offered some quality, top tier items for sale on here in the past.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I think it is more of a common sense thing and yes I know some lack that. There are times when it is a stupid auction or one that no one will bid on and where do we draw the line? As I have said in the past any idiot with a keyboard and internet connection can find 90% of what is out there with very little trouble, so most things are already on collectors radars. The hidden jems and mis-lists are another thing and that is where some common sense needs to be applied. RS is already struggling to keep a float at this time with it's millions of rules and FB, so not really sure that us beginning down this path is in the forums best interest.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Things have changed.

It's no matter what SWFUK does, it already been posted 1000 times by tourist on Facebook.

The good days of winning auctions at great prices are long gone.

Very little comes through the net. It was only 3 years ago I can remember picking up tons of stuff and being the only bidder.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Grant_C said:
Things have changed.

It's no matter what SWFUK does, it already been posted 1000 times by tourist on Facebook.

The good days of winning auctions at great prices are long gone.

Very little comes through the net. It was only 3 years ago I can remember picking up tons of stuff and being the only bidder.

That too...I would think one may get more worked up about what the FB groups are outing. Which is everything. :wink:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I'm down with a 7 days grace on ebay only.

But as previously mentioned - SWFUK isn't the problem, FB is. We're all pretty clued up on what we should post and what not to here, and I totally understand why Ian posted the cardback auction, to the untrained eye, that price for what was there didn't add up.

There are so many groups now on FB that keeping an auction quiet is almost impossible. But I think we should opt for a ruling here that at least offers members some courtesy on auctions they are interested in and have won.

It's a dog eat dog world out there for collectors! :D

Joe

Grand Master
I don't think RS is going the way of the dodo because of their auction outing rule lol..

I realise that even the mention of a new "rule" around here can ruffle some feathers (and cause people to start making comparisons to RS) but this poll is just to find out what OUR members want with regard to auctions on eBay being linked on the forum.

It's come up time and time again lately and has obviously caused some grief for certain members who were either intending to bid on auctions or had already won auctions..so here we are.

To be honest we never used link to auctions on here as it just seemed like common sense but times change and more and more members sign up weekly so if we need to have a rule in place just for clarification then we will have to have one.

Palifan

Sith Lord
So far people seem to be in favor of the not outing rule and remember, just because FB doesn't seem to care about this type of rule it doesn't mean that we have to follow along.

I think keeping a level of discretion amongst members here is for the good no matter how old fashioned that may seem.

Ian

Latest posts

Top Bottom