Biggest stitch up down the years

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Ok I'm new to this forum, but have been collecting vintage Star Wars for many years and have some great memories of great finds down the years. But I did get stitched up once badly many years ago. I found this shop not far from where I lived that had some vintage stuff. I bought all the stuff I wanted over a period of about 6 months and got friendly with the guy who ran the shop. He put me on to another bloke who apparently had some nice loose figures. I met him in a layby :lol: and brought some nice figures Pop Up R2 and Luke Stormy. Then I said I'm looking for a VC Jawa and he said I have one. Cut a long story short he stitched me up with a fake one for £120 evan the blaster was repro :lol:

It took me about 6 months to realise it was fake so I went back to the shop. The shop had been taken over by a new guy who woulden't give me any info. He also had some vintage stuff which was overpriced and in poor condition. Every time I asked him about a figure he said 'that one is very rare' evan if it was a Prune Face :roll: Anyway I cut my losses and never got done over again. Was wandering if anyone else has some good stories that might make me feel better :lol:

Last edited:

Section 8

Sith Lord
I bought a VC jawa a good few years ago for around £5 and realised it was a repro cape and gun straight away. It displayed well but didn't really want to keep it in my collection. It looked pretty like an original so I just sold it to an unwitting upstart for £120 a few weeks later.

I had a bloody great time with the money so hope this happy story cheers you up a bit.

momike

Jedi Master
Section 8 said:
I bought a VC jawa a good few years ago for around £5 and realised it was a repro cape and gun straight away. It displayed well but didn't really want to keep it in my collection. It looked pretty like an original so I just sold it to an unwitting upstart for £120 a few weeks later.

I had a bloody great time with the money so hope this happy story cheers you up a bit.

Think i would of kept that one to myself tbh :lol:

poncho

Grand Master
momike said:
Section 8 said:

me too :lol:

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
momike said:
Section 8 said:

That was a can of worms you just opened there. :shock:

Richard_H

Grand Master
Come on guys it's obvious Andy is joking. :lol:

Although there've been many scams down the years, some running into the 1000s like the recent $4500 for a notebook!, me personally not a huge lot:

- bought a 3 leg R2 to find out later it was modern about £8
- about a dozen repro weapons over the last 2 years
- bought parts for a Kenner Death Star described as mint but they were worn - all about £20 in total. Wasn't going to bother to send back to US.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Section 8 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow: It's now the most expensive toy my daughter has. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

poncho

Grand Master
I got ****ed over on a repro vcj :x once.

Should of done my research mind. It was a lazy ebay listing with a grainy picture thought i got a bargain didnt spend loads and loads. I did at least get some some mint loosies as it was a part of a lot.

walkie

Sith Lord
Section 8 said:

:shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
In the 90s when I started to collect the us marcel comics. Then I bought them in comic stores in denmark. I did not know about ebay at that time.

So I paid $100 for no. 1 and between $50 and $20 for no. 2 to no. 10. from no. 11 I paid $10 each. Lucky me I did not buy all 107 comics like that. Because the stores did not have them all. But I think I bought 50% of the comics like that. a few years later I learned about ebay and I bought the other 50% for maybe $1 each or less in usa

Wish I had learned about ebay or a star wars forum before I bought them in the shops :oops:

I also remember I could buy no. 1 on ebay 15 years ago for $1 in usa and I paid $100 :oops:

walkie

Sith Lord
I did once pay £140 for a boxed imperial shuttle to find out the windscreen was chewed up, apparently by his dog!!! The seller failed to mention this in his listing. This was back in the days before 'buyer protection' so I ended up swallowing a bitter pill, keeping the item and buying a replacement elsewhere.

My latest stitch up was an AFA graded stormie I picked up on RS last year. I paid less then a loose example and decided to free him from his acrylic case for my display. All was happy in the 'walkie' camp till I found out a few months ago the blaster was a Kenner variant and not the rare Takara version, bummer :(

x-pack

Grand Master
I've been lucky. Never been screwed over anything. Had problems with a buyer on Ebay once but it wasn't big money. Seems the VCJs are the source of all Star Wars buying grief

Grant

Sith Lord
Section 8 said:

Ouch...

Grant

Sith Lord
One of my first deals getting back in to the hobby back in like late 2006/ early 2007. I sent some fu*king con artist £1700 in the form of a cheque for what I naively thought was 96/97 *original* carded figures. Looking back *now* with hindsight and knowledge learned they would have all been re-cards. If that isn't bad enough I didn't even get my package. I got a tracking number that couldn't be tracked. Long story short. I lost out on the entire £1700. After some serious words to self I came to the conclusion that it was my fault for sending the money down as a cheque. Iv never payed for anything again by cheque.

What a mug... It was embarrassing writing this but I think lots of people get bumped in the hobby unfortunately. Pretty sure the EBay guys name was Dennis Mayfield or something similar. Its branded on my brain for ever... :evil:

Almost put me off the hobby altogether. Fu*king EBay...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom