Vintage toys on Antiques Roadshow in 1999

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
I was really curious if anyone can remember watching an episode of Antiques Roadshow in 1999. It was broadcast to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace and if memory serves me correctly I believe it was aired on a Sunday on BBC 2.I can distinctly remember an interview with Dave Ross(Star Toys and Collectables)fame- who by the way was a true gentleman to deal with and speak to "back in the day"!! I remember Dave showing how the nose of a loose POTF Luke Stormtrooper becomes damaged every time his helmet is taken off and put back on!!Dave also showed off one of his Darth Maul prototype figures. However I can't find the episode on the internet nor YouTube for that matter! I would love some help with this as it's been" eating away at me" for ages!!! Thanks so much,Gary.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I believe this one was hosted by Tim Wonnacot and was filmed at Memorabilia '99.

Dave Tree has a copy somewhere, on VHS, and is threatening to get it aired at the next Farthest From if he can find it! I'd love to see it as I also appeared on it talking (through my hat) about a grey limbed Snowtrooper :lol: Would love to see it again. I had hair back in the day.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Is that the episode where the BBC 'expert' picked up a Boba Fett out of a box of figures brought down from someone's loft, and turned it over to check to see if it had a firing rocket? :roll: I hope he also regularly checks under his pillow to see if the Cullinan Diamond is there...

spoons

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
I believe this one was hosted by Tim Wonnacot and was filmed at Memorabilia '99.

Dave Tree has a copy somewhere, on VHS, and is threatening to get it aired at the next Farthest From if he can find it! I'd love to see it as I also appeared on it talking (through my hat) about a grey limbed Snowtrooper :lol: Would love to see it again. I had hair back in the day.

I remember that - had no idea that was you :shock:

A veritable celebrity :lol:

Richard_H

Grand Master
Tuesday
1 June
20.30 The Antiques Show

Merchandise spin-offs from the first three Star Wars movies made over £2.4 billion. As the Star Wars prequel inspires a new generation of toys,
Tim Wonnacott discovers that these plastic figures can make surprisingly lucrative investments.
James Breese goes to a car boot sale in Castle Combe and learns that experienced buyers always arrive with a strategy. Presented by Fiona Bruce. Series producer Alison Bennett
Series editor Jane Lomas Subtitled.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
spoons said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

I remember that - had no idea that was you :shock:

A veritable celebrity :lol:

A veritable plum, more like :lol:

ODB

Jedi Master
Paddy the Jedi said:
I was really curious if anyone can remember watching an episode of Antiques Roadshow in 1999. It was broadcast to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace and if memory serves me correctly I believe it was aired on a Sunday on BBC 2.I can distinctly remember an interview with Dave Ross(Star Toys and Collectables)fame- who by the way was a true gentleman to deal with and speak to "back in the day"!! I remember Dave showing how the nose of a loose POTF Luke Stormtrooper becomes damaged every time his helmet is taken off and put back on!!Dave also showed off one of his Darth Maul prototype figures. However I can't find the episode on the internet nor YouTube for that matter! I would love some help with this as it's been" eating away at me" for ages!!! Thanks so much,Gary.

Now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. I wonder what happened to him? I seem to recall that he had a three pack on his stall on the same show for £1000, which seemed so much back then.

Paddy the Jedi

Padawan
Wouldn't it be great if Dave could get the episode on DVD- I would definitely buy a copy! With regard to the 3pack Dave Ross had at £1000,I had the chance in 2002 of a 3 pack for £900!!! As they say"hindsight is a wonderful thing"

Vin3po

Jedi Knight
Funny I actually have this Episode or the Star wars bits on VHS also :wink:

I will find out if there's a way I can get it onto DVD. I also don't think that Darth Maul First shot was a one off. I am sure I have seen other ones the same. Heck I may even be watching the same one on Ebay just now.

Cheers

Vince

ODB

Jedi Master
I can transfer video to DVD/digital if you are happy to send it to me.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
there has been quite a few shown on the antiques roadshow over the years

was one a couple of years ago with a bloke who had lots of boxed items but nothing that rare

i seem to remember one with a bloke who had a shelf of all the loose figures and spoke about rocket firing fett late 90s/early 2000s he may have been in his mid 20s with a ponytail and glasses but im not definite on that

were a few others early 90s aswell as i can remember my dad calling me in to watch at the time some of those were the child editions they did around christmas though

threaders20

Jedi Knight
I remember the children's edition when a kid brought along a load of loose figures. I'd like to see that one again as my ex girlfriends mum talked all the way through it :(

Starwarsgeek

Bump

Did anybody have any luck tracking this down? And if so any chance of getting it on YouTube?

Thanks in advance!!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I so remember that-esp the bit when the guy was checking the back of a standard Fett. Brings back so many memories of my v early collecting days :D

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:

PM to Dave Tree (Priority One)

kieatky

Jedi Master
pizzathehutt said:

was one a couple of years ago with a bloke who had lots of boxed items but nothing that rare

i seem to remember one with a bloke who had a shelf of all the loose figures and spoke about rocket firing fett late 90s/early 2000s he may have been in his mid 20s with a ponytail and glasses but im not definite on that

were a few others early 90s aswell as i can remember my dad calling me in to watch at the time some of those were the child editions they did around christmas though

Is this the one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G04SHUrS-4

MikeStrange

Padawan
kieatky said:
pizzathehutt said:

Is this the one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G04SHUrS-4

Thanks for the link, brings back great memories of weekends before internet and technology.

I remember watching one episode with Star Wars figures on show, the "expert" said Yak Face was worth £50 because he was complete with his cape and weapon (it had the correct staff and Prune-Face cloak).

I'd love to see that episode again.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I believe vintage Star Wars toys featured on The Antiques Roadshow more than once in the 90's, and I'm pretty sure the link above is not to the episode I remember and was talking about in my post on the previous page (although it's still enjoyable to see this one, so thank you for posting the link). I'm fairly confident the expert in the episode I saw actually picked up Boba Fett and turned him over to inspect his rocket :roll:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Grant_C said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

PM to Dave Tree (Priority One)

I really do dread to think what I chuntered about. You think I talk a lot of **** now? You ain't seen nothin' yet.... :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom