What annoys you the most in this hobby?

subzero

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Closely echoing ODB's point: the assumption that because you've knowingly overpaid for something makes you a "high end" collector. No, it makes you an idiot. An example would be the $1,500 Vader on Palitoy 65 back currently being peddled by a well know Facebook character. Some dick will probably end up paying $1,200 for a £250 (yes, even in that grade) figure. Then they'll post it up in the exact same group it was sold in, thanking the seller for "allowing" them to buy it and then be fawned over by equally moronic bell-ends saying "sweet piece" and "great buy" and other such sycophantic shite. Wake up: you're idiots.

Another one echoes Section 8's gripe: It's a subset of collectors that seem to be a UK-only phenomenon. They all seem to focus on a group of particular cardbacks and then be in the greatest hurry to complete the run ahead of their mates. As such, they massively overpay for things and force the price for that cardback up. This group caused me to abandon a first 12 run due to their impatience and cock-measuring.

Do I sound a bit sore about the above two? Yeah, guess so. This hobby doesn't need anymore help inflating prices but both these groups add an x-factor. I think it's a coincidence both pretty much exclusively dwell on FB, Edd would say he wouldn't expect to find them anywhere else ;)

They're the worst collectors who just collect mainly as a statement and not because they love what they're collecting, do you think prices will ever go back down after people causing these rises like this?.. I hope they do lol. I really wish now I would have stayed in this hobby 15 years ago when I first started, I got out of it back then due to the cost lmao! them prices now are nothing compared to today, hindsight is a great thing!

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Yeh I guess tosser sellers on eBay that ludicrously over price their BIN prices and the endless repros we r faced with :!:

subzero

Sith Lord
Just thought of another one I hate, when ebay sellers list a 2000 - 2006 Star Wars figure as 'vintage'.. even listing POTF2 figures as vintage is bad enough but with 10 year old figures?, takes the biscuit!

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
subzero said:
Just thought of another one I hate, when ebay sellers list a 2000 - 2006 Star Wars figure as 'vintage'.. even listing POTF2 figures as vintage is bad enough but with 10 year old figures?, takes the biscuit!

Ditto

Awl Skulkerkey

Padawan
Totally agreeing with ScruffylookingNH 8)

I've been inspired so this is not meant to be patronising, just a bit of fun and thought its about time someone put in writing the difference between a collector and an investor!

HOBBY: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

COLLECT: to gather together; assemble

INVEST: to put (money) to use, by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value

KNOB: a rounded lump or protuberance on the surface or at the end of something, as a knot on a tree trunk or large member protruding from those 'pompous pretend collectors' heads!
 :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Hothrebel said:
Constant moaning about rising prices!!!!
Well, I stand by my previous comment (I doubt you were targeting me specifically, but if you were, it's a free country :)) which was mainly an exasperation at the grotesque prices many items are now (often suddenly) fetching, and the unhappy consequence of that fact for new and existing collectors being that they are priced out of the market by those people with the deepest pockets. Basically, it's rapidly becoming a rich man's game, which I regard as a great shame in a hobby many of us have enjoyed for decades without needing to take out a second mortgage!

However having said all that (and at the risk of sounding wildly inconsistent and or hypocritical), I actually largely agree with you! I don't like the price rises in this hobby one bit, but neither do I bang on about it all the time like I've seen some collectors do; seemingly disgusted that inflation exists and that something that originally cost 99p now sells for MORE THAN THAT! :) I merely commented on it in this thread because we were asked to say what annoys us most, and that annoys me the most (mostly because looking back with the wonderful benefit of hindsight, I could have had a complete Palitoy carded collection before the 90's were through, but now I'm never likely to). I may not like the price rises, but I absolutely acknowledge their existence and the sad necessity to pay them if you really want to own a particular piece.

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
Certainly not directed at anyone in particular,just something that irritates me.
There's plenty of affordable stuff out there if people are prepared to put in the effort and have a bit of patience.

Hooch

Jedi Knight
Time wasters. Why go to the effort of saying you will take something then all of a sudden decide naaaaa
Just recently I was selling something locally on FB. One guy was quick to comment he wanted it, sent me a pm right away asking for it then nothing for 2 days after my reply. In the end I sent him another message asking if he was still keen, he replied pretending he didn't know what I was talking about and could I refresh his memory. I just said look at our previous conversation above but he still pretended he didn't know what I was on about

subzero

Sith Lord
Hooch said:
Time wasters. Why go to the effort of saying you will take something then all of a sudden decide naaaaa
Just recently I was selling something locally on FB. One guy was quick to comment he wanted it, sent me a pm right away asking for it then nothing for 2 days after my reply. In the end I sent him another message asking if he was still keen, he replied pretending he didn't know what I was talking about and could I refresh his memory. I just said look at our previous conversation above but he still pretended he didn't know what I was on about

Lol that's the worst, why not just say "sorry mate iv'e changed my mind".. instead of being a weird douch about it? :lol:

They're the same types who buy something from you on ebay then message afterwards to say their 3 year old kid got into their account and bought it, so they need their money back ( so your 3yr old kid logged into your accounts with your password and searched for a specific item and bought it? I don't think so lmao ). Just be an adult and be honest and tell me you changed your mind and stop insulting people's intelligence :lol:

Section 8

Sith Lord
Hothrebel "There's plenty of affordable stuff out there if people are prepared to put in the effort and have a bit of patience."

There is affordable stuff out there, but there is unaffordable stuff aswell. The list of unaffordable stuff is rising. I want some of the unaffordable stuff. No matter how long I search, it will not become affordable.

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
That's fair enough,
There's loads of stuff I would like in my collection but can't afford.
My original post was about people moaning about rising prices,unfortunately that's the way it is ,moaning about it isn't going to bring the prices down(just my opinion )
This isn't a personal dig at any one in particular

lejackal

Grand Master
Rising prices don't overly bother me, what really annoys me is things that become flavour of the month shooting up as opposed to something that is actually hard to find/rare. The price on Leia's being one example after the sad passing of CF, mental.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Years ago I would have said Repro items, but today I would say that some items is so expensive so I know that there is some items that I will never have the money to buy, that is what annoys me most :(

apack7229

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
Rising prices don't overly bother me, what really annoys me is things that become flavour of the month shooting up as opposed to something that is actually hard to find/rare. The price on Leia's being one example after the sad passing of CF, mental.

Same thing happening with Fetts. Just saw a HK one chewed by a dog go for more than $20.

itfciain

Grand Master
I think the petty drama annoys me the most - this is supposed to be a fun hobby yet everyday there seems to be back-biting - the latest (and probably most active post) on RS turned into a slanging match - FB is full of drama, fallings-out, group bans etc - just seems that people have too much time to devote to criticising others

It's bad enough that the current political climate is pretty damn shitty without the one thing a lot of us use for escapism turning out the same way

apack7229

Sith Lord
I also hate when you buy a boxed item and the seller puts tape on it and the tape pulls the litho off. Just bought a DV tie and the seller put tape in four diffent places. :twisted:

subzero

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
I think the petty drama annoys me the most - this is supposed to be a fun hobby yet everyday there seems to be back-biting - the latest (and probably most active post) on RS turned into a slanging match - FB is full of drama, fallings-out, group bans etc - just seems that people have too much time to devote to criticising others

It's bad enough that the current political climate is pretty damn shitty without the one thing a lot of us use for escapism turning out the same way

Facebook is AWFUL for people bickering at each other, that's why I stay away from it now, it does not matter what subject gets posted it could be to do with anything under the sun and there's always people arguing over it, and every person on there thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong lol. I see it mainly with the chat under the news posts but I do see it in groups too, it's just awful, people need to grow up!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
itfciain said:

Facebook is AWFUL for people bickering at each other, that's why I stay away from it now, it does not matter what subject gets posted it could be to do with anything under the sun and there's always people arguing over it, and every person on there thinks they're right and everyone else is wrong lol. I see it mainly with the chat under the news posts but I do see it in groups too, it's just awful, people need to grow up!

Not that I agree with it, but is this not a "sign of the times" :(
It seems that everyone has an opinion about everything and that opinion right no matter what, I dread to think what would happen if we ever had guns in this country!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom