Header image

Are prices going up?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Location: Sydney

Are prices going up?

Postby wrighty » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:11 am

We all have read and know that prices of vintage SW have shot through the roof, but is it really true. Take this sales post on FB as an example, the seller is selling below his purchase price or is it a sales tactic? So are we paying way over an inflated price and now when it comes to selling we are in the red?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Palifan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:29 am

I think the problem with vintage prices is that they seem to change daily. One moment something's really hot and a few people are after it and the next day the interest has disappeared so the price can go for less. I was looking at some resealed Palitoy prices today from recent sales on eBay and thought they were the same or less than years ago. It is also the time of year as things don't seem to go for as much generally through the summer months, I guess due to people thinking about holidays or even the amount of conventions that happen (here in the States especially).

It's always hard to know for sure but I've always thought t's best to buy what you like at the price you can live with and you'll have to be prepared to take a loss if you should move it on. Of course it can work the other way like the AFA 85 VCJ's I sold on years ago to then re buy more soon after at a more inflated price. It was a hard thing to live with at the time but now it's a few years on the price from what I paid has risen by four times.....I bet when I sell them it will plummet to below the price I paid though :lol:

Ian

User avatar
x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:25 pm
Location: Leyland

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby x-pack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Some things are currently as cheap as they were 25 years ago if you take inflation into account. Common loose figures and ships, you can hardly give them away now. £3 isn't uncommon for loose Jedi figures, that's if you can find a buyer at all.

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 8323
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 pm

I would say prices is up and is still going up. Rare items, boxes, moc and complete loose figures is going up.
Even lots cost more than they did a few years ago.

User avatar
mumbo
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3851
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby mumbo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:I would say prices is up and is still going up. Rare items, boxes, moc and complete loose figures is going up.
Even lots cost more than they did a few years ago.


A few years ago........... you mean a few hours ago !!!
If its Luke Jedi then I'm interested, vintage or modern.

My feedback - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13324

My Focus collection - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14401

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 8323
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:58 am

mumbo wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:I would say prices is up and is still going up. Rare items, boxes, moc and complete loose figures is going up.
Even lots cost more than they did a few years ago.


A few years ago........... you mean a few hours ago !!!


Yes maybe a few hours ago :lol:

User avatar
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2575
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby palitoyjunky » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 pm

I think overall prices r progressively going up but there will always b bargains to b had and indeed there will b those who ask extortionate money for pieces :!:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:08 pm

I think the rare items will continue to rise in value as Demand seems to be increasing and Supply is fixed which can only lead to an inflationary affect. Most of us have no idea how much the rarer MOC's have increased by because so many of the sales are done privately, almost everything I have purchased since January has been in private deals so the prices I paid are not in the public domain and therefore the increases in value cannot be calculated.

How can you determine if something is going up in Value if you do not know what is being bought and sold and what prices are being paid?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I think the rare items will continue to rise in value as Demand seems to be increasing and Supply is fixed which can only lead to an inflationary affect. Most of us have no idea how much the rarer MOC's have increased by because so many of the sales are done privately, almost everything I have purchased since January has been in private deals so the prices I paid are not in the public domain and therefore the increases in value cannot be calculated.

How can you determine if something is going up in Value if you do not know what is being bought and sold and what prices are being paid?


Anthony, its as if you've been looking over my shoulder as I've been muttering into my laptop screen this last week ;)

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:36 pm

I was just reading another thread where it says a R2D2 Prop just sold for 2.3 million and a lightsaber for 375,000 so if some of those collectors move into Action Figures then I think prices will definately be on the up, I just hope they collect Kenner!
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I think the rare items will continue to rise in value as Demand seems to be increasing and Supply is fixed which can only lead to an inflationary affect. Most of us have no idea how much the rarer MOC's have increased by because so many of the sales are done privately, almost everything I have purchased since January has been in private deals so the prices I paid are not in the public domain and therefore the increases in value cannot be calculated.

How can you determine if something is going up in Value if you do not know what is being bought and sold and what prices are being paid?


Anthony, its as if you've been looking over my shoulder as I've been muttering into my laptop screen this last week ;)


Great minds think alike!
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby subzero » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:29 pm

I'm mad with myself that I got out of collecting vintage SW in 2002 due to the cost of it, but i'm also glad i'm getting back into it now because in 10 years from now after all these new Star Wars films etc prices will most likely skyrocket more than what they already have, so in a waaay i'm kind of viewing buying these today as being at a cheap price compared to what they will likely go up to in the near future.

My wallet does not think this though lol :roll: but at least I can get to finish off the collection iv'e always wanted before prices get too stupid for me even for loose figures.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2756
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 am

subzero wrote:I'm mad with myself that I got out of collecting vintage SW in 2002 due to the cost of it, but i'm also glad i'm getting back into it now because in 10 years from now after all these new Star Wars films etc prices will most likely skyrocket more than what they already have, so in a waaay i'm kind of viewing buying these today as being at a cheap price compared to what they will likely go up to in the near future.

My wallet does not think this though lol :roll: but at least I can get to finish off the collection iv'e always wanted before prices get too stupid for me even for loose figures.


You say this but I really wouldn't worry too much. I am beginning to suspect that the "common" items have pretty much peaked. And I'm including things like VCJs all the last 17 on cards, etc. Harder to find and more desirable items like Boba Fett on Trilogo, I still think there is a little way to go. On the really hard to find items (only a few examples to exist) then yes, there will inevitably be more price rises as there will be an ever increasing number of collectors developing, expanding and growing their collections to include these items.

The main reason for the peak is I just do not see the collecting field getting *much* larger than it is. If you think about it, the build up in collecting probably started when Lucas sold SW to Disney. That was 5/6 years ago. Momentum picked up with the imminent arrival of TFA and then R1 and now the 40th Anniversary, etc. but I do not believe there are that many more potential collectors yet to return to the hobby versus the number of "burn outs" that rejoined in the last few years, spanked their credit cards, did the "Look at me!/What's in the box?/Mailcall!" attention seeking thing on FB and were then left with a load of old toys that they then didn't really want anymore. If the number of collectors hasn't plateaued I would be very, very surprised. In fact, if a graph could be drawn I think you'd be seeing a slight decline in numbers. This can only lead to a cooling of prices as demand drops and supply remains as more and more lofts get emptied.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be FB led trends of "figure of the quarter" when all of a sudden every man wants a particular figure, spiking both demand and prices, but on the whole, I think we're there: peak prices have been achieved on common items.

No doubt I'll re-read this in the future and wonder WTF was going through my head. It'll probably be just after selling my loose set for the price of a screen used R2-D2. As long as it's not before the end of the month I don't think there's any shame in that :D

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby subzero » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:46 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
subzero wrote:I'm mad with myself that I got out of collecting vintage SW in 2002 due to the cost of it, but i'm also glad i'm getting back into it now because in 10 years from now after all these new Star Wars films etc prices will most likely skyrocket more than what they already have, so in a waaay i'm kind of viewing buying these today as being at a cheap price compared to what they will likely go up to in the near future.

My wallet does not think this though lol :roll: but at least I can get to finish off the collection iv'e always wanted before prices get too stupid for me even for loose figures.


You say this but I really wouldn't worry too much. I am beginning to suspect that the "common" items have pretty much peaked. And I'm including things like VCJs all the last 17 on cards, etc. Harder to find and more desirable items like Boba Fett on Trilogo, I still think there is a little way to go. On the really hard to find items (only a few examples to exist) then yes, there will inevitably be more price rises as there will be an ever increasing number of collectors developing, expanding and growing their collections to include these items.

The main reason for the peak is I just do not see the collecting field getting *much* larger than it is. If you think about it, the build up in collecting probably started when Lucas sold SW to Disney. That was 5/6 years ago. Momentum picked up with the imminent arrival of TFA and then R1 and now the 40th Anniversary, etc. but I do not believe there are that many more potential collectors yet to return to the hobby versus the number of "burn outs" that rejoined in the last few years, spanked their credit cards, did the "Look at me!/What's in the box?/Mailcall!" attention seeking thing on FB and were then left with a load of old toys that they then didn't really want anymore. If the number of collectors hasn't plateaued I would be very, very surprised. In fact, if a graph could be drawn I think you'd be seeing a slight decline in numbers. This can only lead to a cooling of prices as demand drops and supply remains as more and more lofts get emptied.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be FB led trends of "figure of the quarter" when all of a sudden every man wants a particular figure, spiking both demand and prices, but on the whole, I think we're there: peak prices have been achieved on common items.

No doubt I'll re-read this in the future and wonder WTF was going through my head. It'll probably be just after selling my loose set for the price of a screen used R2-D2. As long as it's not before the end of the month I don't think there's any shame in that :D


I see your point there, and most new collectors that get into vintage do it because that's where it all started but they don't actually have the connection to the figures because they didn't have them as a kid etc so will most likely not hold onto them, and the FB types are the ones who just follow trends and eventually they'll realise they've lost interest and want their money back lol.

Prices go up and down on everything like a stock market but my concern though with these new collectors on FB is once they've pushed prices up enough on the common figures for long enough then it becomes the 'norm' and everyone including long-term collectors have no choice but to follow it and pay it. But for me as long as I get the collection i'm after then prices can do whatever the hell they like then :twisted:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Are prices going up?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:02 pm

I was thinking about the supply and demand point that people often make when discussing price increases and thought about what has happened in recent years with practices like U Grading which has effectively increased the supply of loose figures into the market whilst reducing the supply of MOC. I would therefore presume MOC will experience a greater inflationary effect than loose figures.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mini99, Rich200 and 9 guests