One for the Tri-logo fans...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
What really, really riles me is when some "dealer" pays market value for stuff and wants to make a profit on that. That's what drives prices up. It's idiotic business sense, too, and that also pisses me off :D This guy has spent about £750 and has sold them on for £850+.....before fees, risk and effort. Well done buddy, maybe you should appear on The Apprentice. Alan Sugar needs business acumen like yours.

Yep agreed, same with all these self-professed big time collectors on Facebook. They think over-paying themselves means everybody else should have to pay more too. Hence why Jake started saying 'great deal!' on every trilogo Yak Face listed on Facebook for £1000 straight after he foolishly paid that for one.

spoons

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
What really, really riles me is when some "dealer" pays market value for stuff and wants to make a profit on that. That's what drives prices up. It's idiotic business sense, too, and that also pisses me off :D This guy has spent about £750 and has sold them on for £850+.....before fees, risk and effort. Well done buddy, maybe you should appear on The Apprentice. Alan Sugar needs business acumen like yours.

Yep agreed, same with all these self-professed big time collectors on Facebook. They think over-paying themselves means everybody else should have to pay more too. Hence why Jake started saying 'great deal!' on every trilogo Yak Face listed on Facebook for £1000 straight after he foolishly paid that for one.

One of my bugbears too Edd. I don't know Jake but a lot of high rollers pay through the nose and then sell up a year or two later and expect to make a profit. The bubble will burst...

itfciain

Grand Master
At the moment there are a lot of 'dealers' out there - and to be honest I think most of them fancy themselves to be good at it. Trouble is, it is a lot like the housing market at the turn of the century - then you could buy a house, spent 6 months doing it up and make a great return - however in a lot of cases you could have coloured all the walls pink and put in an outside toilet and still made money as the market was out of control

I think that this is the same with the current SW market - you could have over paid the market price for something 6 months ago and yet still sell it now for a profit - especially if it is something deemed 'rare'

I sell a lot of vintage and were possible try to buy at a good price and then sell at a good price - I am looking for turnover rather than amazing profit - as Simon says, when you factor in all of the costs (fees, postage etc) + risk then making profit is not as easy as people think

Ian_C

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Yes, and who pays for it in the end?

All the "new" collectors getting the vintage bug thanks to the marketing of the new films. They take a look at these going rates, and unless they're walking around with bottomless pockets, they're bound to give up before they really get started. Or, even worse, turn to the repro guys. :(

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom