Facebook

benny100

Sith Lord
I'm not on Facebook but i'm considering joining to get involved in the vintage community, if was to join, what would people recommend on there? And what to avoid?

PGowdy

Grand Master
From what i understand it's filled at least half way with absolute tossers and morons. I really don't see the need or reason behind it. The forums offer a place for like minded people to share and discuss collections, stories and opinions. I think the facebook thing is just a massively watered down version with the idiot percentage notched up about 1000%.
It's a bit like joining youtube to have discussions with people in the comments sections cos you like music.

Just my 2 cents.

poncho

Grand Master
PGowdy said:
From what i understand it's filled at least half way with absolute tossers and morons. I really don't see the need or reason behind it. The forums offer a place for like minded people to share and discuss collections, stories and opinions. I think the facebook thing is just a massively watered down version with the idiot percentage notched up about 1000%.
It's a bit like joining youtube to have discussions with people in the comments sections cos you like music.

Just my 2 cents.

i echo these thoughts

dont bother

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
My other half joined that community to show me as I am not on Facebook and Yeh totally agree forget about investing time on there unless u want to talk to a load of clueless wankers :!:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I'm on FB but I use it only really as a glorified email to keep in touch with some of my old friends who are scattered across the globe. I don't get involved with groups/pages and all the other bullshit on there and I don't do any Star Wars stuff on there. Not worth it, better off on a Star Wars specific site like this :wink:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
It's a matter of personal choice, as with all things.

For me personally the whole social media thing is not for me, for SW and vintage collecting, I'm happy as larry with this forum, where there is trust, comradery shared core interest, and plenty to be involved in.

But as I said, for those that use FB and enjoy, then good luck to them, it's all down to personal choice.

plantman

Sith Lord
im just a lurker on a few star wars groups, and yes it is rammed with **** repeated posts, but on the other hand its a good source to have a quick chat, its worth reading the odd bits though.

this forum is far better and holds a concentrated amount of genuine collectors. faebook has its benefits, just add all of us as friends and you can chat live when you need to.

bobbybobs

Padawan
I both hate and love Facebook. Very convenient and always something going on but it's also extremely frustrating and full of people with no communication skills or respect for fellow collectors. Yep very repetitive too and I'm actually growing tired of seeing pictures of 12 backs.... I guess I pick and choose what I use it for though, it does have many positives if you use it correctly and join the right groups.

There was a similar discussion recently on RS if you guys are interested.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113598/

x-pack

Grand Master
Love/hate

I found a lot of lost family on there that I'm now close to, and it didn't cost a penny ....except for the extra Christmas/birthday presents each year :wink:

On the other hand I've been in touch with, and in some cases been out with, people who should have stayed in the past. Plus there's all the bullshit and advertisements.

As for Star Wars forums, Todds is the only one I bother with. Oh, and Jason's 'vintage star wars, sunglasses, hamsters and pretty ladies'. That one's a must :lol:

benny100

Sith Lord
Thanks for the replies, I'm more than happy with the forum and I'm not looking for a replacement, there was just a nagging fear that I was missing out on a vintage community. The general consensus seems to be its 90% idiots, so ill pass in that case!
I did dabble a long time ago but remember getting really fed up with after a short while.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
andy x-wing pilot said:
Waste of time by occassionly looking at my wife's account.
Mainly full of twats thinking their modern **** is gold plated.

:lol: :lol:

All my **** is Gold Plated, it also smells of Roses :wink:

Banton989

Jedi Knight
I agree that some of the groups on FB are full of divas and drama but some good info does come up.

Myself I try to enjoy both this forum and I also started a Vintage Star Wars Facebook trading group called Echo Base.

I like to think there is enough room for everybody and it's always good to have options !

I even posted an advertising link to SWFUK on the FB group before seeing this today! Lol

Adam

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
The big group is full of morons and con artists. There are a few that are good, but I agree...I have seen enough graded AFA 12 backs and what not to choke a ****ing horse.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I use Facebook for a lot of things, but not for collecting. There's no denying its scale on there, but the amount of petty arguments is ridiculous. Also Facebook is not designed to be a resource, it's throw-away conversation, so more often than not discussions disappear within hours, and you can't search for things. So all it's good for IMO is limelights (I've seen some great collection photos posted) and sales if you can stand all the dick heads.

Quality over quantity on the forums :)

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
i dont have one but the missus does so i just go on now and then and have a mooch.
added Dave Prowse a few week ago she went sick at me and im like whats wrong and shes like who the fuk is that and im like you kiddin me :lol:

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
As has already been said its full of complete morons. Their a couple of decent groups and you get a few decent bargains off there but I wouldnt recommend it really. The problem is your post can get lost extremely quickly.

Richard_H

Grand Master
The only groups I recommend are the niche ones set up by Carl and Ross (12 bk etc), Echo Base (for UK dealing), The International one by Todd, Joe's bootleg and one or two others that I don't recall. Too much repetitive crap on many others.

grinchy

Sith Lord
i'm on there and have a lot of family and friends, i post a lot of my artwork on it, and it works fine for me, i'm a member of a few groups and i agree there are a lot of stupid posts, the most common is how much is this worth? for modern and the odd loose vintage figure

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom